Validating Local Users, Passwords, and Groups

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by krisk, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. krisk

    krisk Guest

    I have a question or two regarding local users and groups.

    I have an ASP.NET 2.0 (C#) application (intranet-based, not on the
    Internet), and, on one of the pages, I have two textboxes for end-users to
    enter a user name and password. The user name needs to be an actual user
    that is on the local computer, and the password (obviously) needs to be that
    user's password. Sounds easy enough so far.

    Now, the PHB wants validation of the entered user name and password (i.e., a
    change in the requirements of the page).

    Thus, when a end-user types in a user name and submits the page back to the
    server, I need my C# code to take that entered value and validate that the
    user they entered is truly a valid user on the local computer (the web
    server).

    So, my first question is, how can I take the value entered in the user name
    textbox and make sure that it is a valid user on the local computer?

    Also, once the user name is validated, the password then needs to be
    validated to make sure that the password entered is the correct password for
    the user.

    So, my second question is, how can I take a valid user and an entered
    password and validate that the password entered is the correct password for
    the user?

    Thanks!

    krisk, Feb 17, 2006