    search terms.

    Is this built into asp.net 2.0, or is there another way of acheiving this?

    JJ
    JJ, Sep 10, 2006

  2. On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 18:29:13 +0100, "JJ" <> wrote:

    >When I new user registers on my web site I want to force them to click on a
    >link in a sent email to confirm that their email is correct.
    >
    >I have searched high and low for this but I am probably using the wrong
    >search terms.
    >
    >Is this built into asp.net 2.0, or is there another way of acheiving this?
    >
    >JJ

    Most sites just don't complete the registration process until the email sent has
    been clicked, sending confirmation of the email. I don't believe it a good
    practice to try to force anyone to comply with ones wishes, do you?
    Good luck with your project,

    Otis Mukinfus
    http://www.arltex.com
    http://www.tomchilders.com
    Otis Mukinfus, Sep 10, 2006

  3. JJ

    Stimp Guest

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 JJ <> wrote:
    > When I new user registers on my web site I want to force them to click on a
    > link in a sent email to confirm that their email is correct.
    >
    > I have searched high and low for this but I am probably using the wrong
    > search terms.

    very simple. Generate a random number when this user creates an account.
    Store the random number in a column on the user's row in the database
    table.

    Send a link like : http:www.mysite.com/verify.aspx?code=343244322342

    in the email.

    If the verify code matches the one stored in the database, then activate
    their account.
    --

    fiddlewidawiddum
    Stimp, Sep 10, 2006
  4. JJ

    Riki Guest

    Stimp wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 JJ <> wrote:
    >> When I new user registers on my web site I want to force them to
    >> click on a link in a sent email to confirm that their email is
    >> correct.
    >>
    >> I have searched high and low for this but I am probably using the
    >> wrong search terms.

    > very simple. Generate a random number when this user creates an
    > account. Store the random number in a column on the user's row in the
    > database table.
    >
    > Send a link like : http:www.mysite.com/verify.aspx?code=343244322342
    >
    > in the email.
    >
    > If the verify code matches the one stored in the database, then
    > activate their account.

    For completeness, you need to build a separate page verify.aspx
    that is opened from the mail with a link.
    When this page is opened, it will run code (in Page_Load) to complete the
    registration.

    --

    Riki
    Riki, Sep 10, 2006
  5. JJ

    Stimp Guest

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 Riki <> wrote:
    > Stimp wrote:
    >> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 JJ <> wrote:
    >>> When I new user registers on my web site I want to force them to
    >>> click on a link in a sent email to confirm that their email is
    >>> correct.
    >>>
    >>> I have searched high and low for this but I am probably using the
    >>> wrong search terms.

    >> very simple. Generate a random number when this user creates an
    >> account. Store the random number in a column on the user's row in the
    >> database table.
    >>
    >> Send a link like : http:www.mysite.com/verify.aspx?code=343244322342
    >>
    >> in the email.
    >>
    >> If the verify code matches the one stored in the database, then
    >> activate their account.

    > For completeness, you need to build a separate page verify.aspx
    > that is opened from the mail with a link.
    > When this page is opened, it will run code (in Page_Load) to complete the
    > registration.

    for even more completeness :p~ ...

    I forgot to mention you should also pass the user's id in the link.

    e.g. http://www.mysite.com/verify.aspx?u=123&code=98765465
    --

    fiddlewidawiddum
    Stimp, Sep 10, 2006
  6. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Sorry to be so stupid:

    Would I set the 'IsApproved' bit to 0 on the users record until the email is
    confirmed?
    Can I perhaps add this as a hidden field to the default create user
    control?:
    <asp:TextBox runat="server" ID="IsApproved" TextMode="Password"
    Visible="false" Text="1" /></td>

    Does this then get added to the user records 'IaApproved' field?

    Thanks in advance,

    JJ

    JJ, Sep 11, 2006
  7. JJ

    JJ Guest

    OK I'm totally stuck now. If someone can tell me how to set the IsApproved
    bit to 0 (false) within the creatuser control then please post here!

    JJ

    JJ, Sep 11, 2006