Validating new users by way of email

JJ

When I new user registers on my web site I want to force them to click on a
link in a sent email to confirm that their email is correct.

I have searched high and low for this but I am probably using the wrong
search terms.

Is this built into asp.net 2.0, or is there another way of acheiving this?

JJ

Otis Mukinfus

When I new user registers on my web site I want to force them to click on a
link in a sent email to confirm that their email is correct.

I have searched high and low for this but I am probably using the wrong
search terms.

Is this built into asp.net 2.0, or is there another way of acheiving this?

JJ
Most sites just don't complete the registration process until the email sent has
been clicked, sending confirmation of the email. I don't believe it a good
practice to try to force anyone to comply with ones wishes, do you?
Good luck with your project,

Otis Mukinfus
http://www.arltex.com
http://www.tomchilders.com

Stimp

When I new user registers on my web site I want to force them to click on a
link in a sent email to confirm that their email is correct.

I have searched high and low for this but I am probably using the wrong
search terms.

very simple. Generate a random number when this user creates an account.
Store the random number in a column on the user's row in the database
table.

Send a link like : http:www.mysite.com/verify.aspx?code=343244322342

in the email.

If the verify code matches the one stored in the database, then activate
their account.

Riki

Stimp said:
very simple. Generate a random number when this user creates an
account. Store the random number in a column on the user's row in the
database table.

Send a link like : http:www.mysite.com/verify.aspx?code=343244322342

in the email.

If the verify code matches the one stored in the database, then
activate their account.

For completeness, you need to build a separate page verify.aspx
that is opened from the mail with a link.
When this page is opened, it will run code (in Page_Load) to complete the
registration.

JJ

Sorry to be so stupid:

Would I set the 'IsApproved' bit to 0 on the users record until the email is
confirmed?
Can I perhaps add this as a hidden field to the default create user
control?:
<asp:TextBox runat="server" ID="IsApproved" TextMode="Password"
Visible="false" Text="1" /></td>

Does this then get added to the user records 'IaApproved' field?

Thanks in advance,

JJ

JJ

OK I'm totally stuck now. If someone can tell me how to set the IsApproved
bit to 0 (false) within the creatuser control then please post here!

JJ