    Many thanks,
    --
    I.N. Galidakis
    I.N. Galidakis, Apr 29, 2008

  2. Scripsit I.N. Galidakis:

    > After spending some time validating my webpages for transitional 4.01
    > HTML I find that some pages of mine which contain the "embed"
    > audio/video command fail stubbornly to validate.

    That's no wonder, since the embed "command" does not belong to HTML 4.01
    at all.

    > <embed src="Fugue_BWV_999_g.mid" hidden="false" border="0" width="310"
    > height="16" autostart="true" autoplay="true" loop="false"
    > volume="58%">

    That's user-unfriendly. I was listening to Sibelius on my computer, and
    visiting your page, this gets intrerrupted by some BWV noise. At least
    change "true" to "false".

    > Is there any way to make this page pass the validation test?

    Surely; use a DTD that allows the embed element; e.g. with
    <!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM "http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/tagsoup.dtd">
    modifying it with the attributes you consider as appropriate; see
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/own-dtd.html

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Apr 29, 2008

  3. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit I.N. Galidakis:
    >
    >> After spending some time validating my webpages for transitional 4.01
    >> HTML I find that some pages of mine which contain the "embed"
    >> audio/video command fail stubbornly to validate.

    > That's no wonder, since the embed "command" does not belong to HTML 4.01
    > at all.
    >
    >> <embed src="Fugue_BWV_999_g.mid" hidden="false" border="0" width="310"
    >> height="16" autostart="true" autoplay="true" loop="false"
    >> volume="58%">

    > That's user-unfriendly. I was listening to Sibelius on my computer, and
    > visiting your page, this gets intrerrupted by some BWV noise. At least
    > change "true" to "false".
    >
    >> Is there any way to make this page pass the validation test?

    > Surely; use a DTD that allows the embed element; e.g. with
    > <!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM "http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/tagsoup.dtd">
    > modifying it with the attributes you consider as appropriate; see
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/own-dtd.html

    Careful Jukka, the OP may not catch the sarcasm.

    To OP, the best solution is just remove the embed. Chances are your
    visitor to not really want to hear the Fugue. You can give them the
    option with a simple link, and it will pass validation.

    Prelude in C Minor</a>!</p>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 29, 2008
  4. On Apr 29, 6:51 am, "I.N. Galidakis" <> wrote:
    > After spending some time validating my webpages for transitional 4.01 HTML I
    > find that some pages of mine which contain the "embed" audio/video command fail
    > stubbornly to validate.

    So what. Does the page work correctly?

    Validation is a tool. NOT a goal.
    Travis Newbury, Apr 30, 2008
  5. Scripsit Jonathan N. Little:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    [...]
    >>> Is there any way to make this page pass the validation test?

    >> Surely; use a DTD that allows the embed element; e.g. with
    >> <!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM
    >> "http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/tagsoup.dtd"> modifying it with
    >> the attributes you consider as appropriate; see
    >> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/own-dtd.html

    > Careful Jukka, the OP may not catch the sarcasm.

    There was no sarcasm in my message, including the part quoted above,
    where I answer the direct question.

    > To OP, the best solution is just remove the embed.

    I think I said that, indirectly but not sarcastically. _This_ would have
    been sarcastic:
    Oh, I'm _so_ delighed at your use of <embed>, which guarantees all
    visitors an unforgettable musical experience.

    > You can give them the
    > option with a simple link, and it will pass validation.

    Surely that's almost always the best approach. The technical answer to
    the technical question still stands.

    Besides, real multimedia isn't strictly illegal, and it may actually
    make sense and not just noise on the web. For example, you could have an
    HTML page containing embedded music, embedded video, text, and images,
    telling a story better than any of these media forms alone could tell.
    Of course, to avoid nasty surprises to visitors, authors should not link
    to such pages except with explicit warnings about content, and any
    reasonable effort should be made to keep them out of search engine
    databases (and to create versions without such embedding and with links
    to multimedia versions, with any reasonable effort to make search
    engines index _these_ pages).

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/