Validation check failed for Javascript snippet

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Matthias Braun, May 7, 2010.

  1. All,

    I am trying to validate the following code with the W3-validator, but it
    is failing:

    <script type="text/javascript"
    src="http://localhost/neu/includes/datepicker.js"></script>

    (...)

    <form action="test.html" method="post">
    name="SelectedDate" id="SelectedDate" onClick="GetDate(this);" /></td>
    type="text" /></td>
    </form>

    The error reported is strange:
    there is no attribute "onClick"

    The validator is underlying the '"' before onClick

    More details:

    " You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the
    document type you are using does not support that attribute for this
    element. This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict"
    document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the
    "Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute), or by using
    vendor proprietary extensions such as "marginheight" (this is usually
    fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).

    This error may also result if the element itself is not supported in the
    document type you are using, as an undefined element will have no
    supported attributes; in this case, see the element-undefined error
    message for further information.

    How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and attribute,
    (Remember XHTML is all lower-case) and/or check that they are both
    allowed in the chosen document type, and/or use CSS instead of this
    attribute."

    Who can help?

    Thanks,

    Matthias
    Matthias Braun, May 7, 2010

  2. Matthias Braun

    rf Guest

    "Matthias Braun" <> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I am trying to validate the following code with the W3-validator, but it
    > is failing:

    > name="SelectedDate" id="SelectedDate" onClick="GetDate(this);" /></td>

    onclick
    rf, May 7, 2010

  3. Matthias Braun wrote:

    > I am trying to validate the following code with the W3-validator, but
    > it is failing:

    You should post a URL, not some snippet of code, especially when you have no
    idea of where the problem is. Upload the document onto a web server if
    needed.

    > The error reported is strange:
    > there is no attribute "onClick"

    - -
    > How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and attribute,
    > (Remember XHTML is all lower-case)

    Does this ring a bell?

    It looks like you are using an XHTML doctype, but we cannot know (in the
    absence of a URL), just make an educated guess.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, May 7, 2010
  4. Matthias Braun

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-05-07 01:20, Matthias Braun wrote:
    > The error reported is strange:
    > there is no attribute "onClick"

    XHTML is case-sensitive. There is no onClick: it is onclick.
    C A Upsdell, May 8, 2010