Validation check failed for Javascript snippet

Matthias Braun

All,

I am trying to validate the following code with the W3-validator, but it
is failing:

<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://localhost/neu/includes/datepicker.js"></script>

(...)

<form action="test.html" method="post">
name="SelectedDate" id="SelectedDate" onClick="GetDate(this);" /></td>
type="text" /></td>
</form>

The error reported is strange:
there is no attribute "onClick"

The validator is underlying the '"' before onClick

More details:

" You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the
document type you are using does not support that attribute for this
element. This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict"
document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the
"Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute), or by using
vendor proprietary extensions such as "marginheight" (this is usually
fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).

This error may also result if the element itself is not supported in the
document type you are using, as an undefined element will have no
supported attributes; in this case, see the element-undefined error
message for further information.

How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and attribute,
(Remember XHTML is all lower-case) and/or check that they are both
allowed in the chosen document type, and/or use CSS instead of this
attribute."

Who can help?

Thanks,

Matthias

Jukka K. Korpela

Matthias said:
I am trying to validate the following code with the W3-validator, but
it is failing:

You should post a URL, not some snippet of code, especially when you have no
idea of where the problem is. Upload the document onto a web server if
needed.
The error reported is strange:
there is no attribute "onClick" - -
How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and attribute,
(Remember XHTML is all lower-case)

Does this ring a bell?

It looks like you are using an XHTML doctype, but we cannot know (in the
absence of a URL), just make an educated guess.