    what the validate mean by

    a.. Line : 0 font-family: You are encouraged to offer a generic family
    as a last alternative

    steve, Nov 29, 2003

  2. steve

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "steve" <> wrote:

    >what the validate mean by
    >
    >a.. Line : 0 font-family: You are encouraged to offer a generic family
    >as a last alternative

    When you list a set of fonts, eg
    font-family: "My Cool Font", Arial, Helvetica, Verdana;

    you are encouraged, but by no means required, to end the list with one
    of the generic font families:
    serif; sans-serif; monospace; cursive; or fantasy

    These do not refer to any particular font but to groups of fonts with
    similar properties. In the above example the three real fonts are all
    sans-serif fonts so we'll assume that My Cool Font is as well and add
    sans-serif to the end of the list:
    font-family: "My Cool Font", Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;
    Now if a browser doesn't have any of the four named fonts it will use
    whatever font it does have access to that does belong to the general
    type of sans-serif thus preserving some element of the author's
    suggested appearance.

    See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/fonts.html#propdef-font-family

    However there are browser bugs (some older versions of IE sometimes
    screw up on serif) and the default choices for some of the families in
    some browsers aren't brilliant so whether you choose to follow this
    idea or not is up to you.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Nov 29, 2003

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    > >what the validate mean by
    > >
    > >a.. Line : 0 font-family: You are encouraged to offer a generic

    family
    > >as a last alternative

    > When you list a set of fonts, eg
    > font-family: "My Cool Font", Arial, Helvetica, Verdana;
    >
    > you are encouraged, but by no means required, to end the list with

    one
    > of the generic font families:
    > serif; sans-serif; monospace; cursive; or fantasy

    How do I know which fonts are generic family
    Any way this work fine thanks

    Thanks

    steve, Nov 29, 2003
  4. steve

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:bqb1bl$9b2$>
    steve said:

    > How do I know which fonts are generic family

    you cant know as the user determines the font they want for each family
    unless they leave the fonts at the browser defaults and you cant know if
    they've done that either.

    if you specify (e.g) font-family:cursive; then you get the look you want
    but the actual cursive font used is left up to the visitor the font may
    or may not be the same as the one you use but it doesn't matter as the
    visitor get the font they prefer while you keep the look you want.
    (if they have a cursive font specified for the cursive generic family).

    --
    brucie
    30/November/2003 07:30:48 am

    brucie, Nov 29, 2003
  5. While the city slept, brucie <> feverishly
    typed:
    > you cant know as the user determines the font they want for each
    > family unless they leave the fonts at the browser defaults and you
    > cant know if they've done that either.

    [...]

    Yay, Brucie! Welcome back! You had us worried...

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.