Validation errors and white blocks.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Samuël van Laere, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. It runs happy and well under the latest Mozilla browser:
    http://samuel.phpindex.nl/index3.htm (ignore the text on that page, that has
    been solved)

    But does anyone know how to get rid of the white area in the H2 header under
    IE(5.5)?
    I haven't got a clue what is causing this white area to appear.

    Besides the above problem i'm also running into validation problems:
    document type does not allow element "H2" here; missing one of "OBJECT",
    "MAP", "BUTTON" start-tag.

    What is it i need to do to fix these errors?

    Thanks for any help one can offer me.

    --
    With regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    Samuël van Laere, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Well it took me some reading and testing, but i've solved both issues.
    I'm using the following:

    <object>
    <ul class="links">
    </ul>
    </object>

    And it all validates correctly.
    Yet i wonder is there or could there be a reason for not using object like
    this?
    Does anyone has some comments on this?

    --
    With regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    Samuël van Laere, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Samuël van Laere

    Richard Guest

    Samuël wrote:

    > It runs happy and well under the latest Mozilla browser:
    > http://samuel.phpindex.nl/index3.htm (ignore the text on that page,
    > that has
    > been solved)

    > But does anyone know how to get rid of the white area in the H2 header
    > under
    > IE(5.5)?
    > I haven't got a clue what is causing this white area to appear.

    > Besides the above problem i'm also running into validation problems:
    > document type does not allow element "H2" here; missing one of
    > "OBJECT",
    > "MAP", "BUTTON" start-tag.

    > What is it i need to do to fix these errors?

    > Thanks for any help one can offer me.

    I am only assuming that you do not have a width defined in the actual text
    cell.
    If you do not, this would cause the inner nested div cell to have the same
    width as the one above it.
    I use IE6 and have done the same thing always giving the nested cell a
    defined width.
    If you make that width 30px or so, and your text runs say 40px, then the
    width auto adjusts.
    Just my guess anyway since you have an external style sheet.
    Richard, Oct 6, 2003
  4. Samuël van Laere

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote:

    >It runs happy and well under the latest Mozilla browser:
    >http://samuel.phpindex.nl/index3.htm (ignore the text on that page, that has
    >been solved)
    >
    >But does anyone know how to get rid of the white area in the H2 header under
    >IE(5.5)?
    >I haven't got a clue what is causing this white area to appear.

    Which <h2>? The ones in the main column or the ones in the nav column?
    Or both?

    >Besides the above problem i'm also running into validation problems:
    >document type does not allow element "H2" here; missing one of "OBJECT",
    >"MAP", "BUTTON" start-tag.

    You've nested a block level element <ul> inside an inline level
    rid of it altogether. You can probably merge all the .menu and .links
    styles together and apply them directly to the <ul>.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Oct 6, 2003