Validation problem

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

I've got the vast majority of the ReelNorth
(http://www.reelnorth.co.uk) website to validate at w3c except for about 3
pages.

The problem with the pages are multiple calls to the same definition on a
style sheet.

If you look at
http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/reel_north/series1/alexcox.html, you'll
throughout the page which according to w3c is a definate neddy-no-no. This
page has no chance of validating, despite everything else being happy.

Is there a better way I can write this page so that it will validate?

TTFN

Paul

brucie

David Dorward

Paul said:
If you look at
http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/reel_north/series1/alexcox.html, you'll
throughout the page which according to w3c is a definate neddy-no-no. This
page has no chance of validating, despite everything else being happy.

Is there a better way I can write this page so that it will validate?

An id says "This is the one and only thing called FOO in this document." Try
class instead ("This is a member of the group of elements BAR").

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ClassesVsIds

(Make sure you change your style sheet to use class selectors instead of id
selectors)

PeterMcC

Paul said:
Hi,

I've got the vast majority of the ReelNorth
(http://www.reelnorth.co.uk) website to validate at w3c except for
about 3 pages.

The problem with the pages are multiple calls to the same definition
on a style sheet.

If you look at
http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/reel_north/series1/alexcox.html,
you'll see the problem. I use <div id="int">, <div id="q"> and <div
id="r"> throughout the page which according to w3c is a definate
neddy-no-no. This page has no chance of validating, despite
everything else being happy.

Is there a better way I can write this page so that it will validate?

ids are once-only on the page - easy enough to change them to classes which
can be used over again.