Validation problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul F. Johnson, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I've got the vast majority of the ReelNorth
    (http://www.reelnorth.co.uk) website to validate at w3c except for about 3
    pages.

    The problem with the pages are multiple calls to the same definition on a
    style sheet.

    If you look at
    http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/reel_north/series1/alexcox.html, you'll
    throughout the page which according to w3c is a definate neddy-no-no. This
    page has no chance of validating, despite everything else being happy.

    Is there a better way I can write this page so that it will validate?

    TTFN

    Paul
    --
    One OS to fool them all
    One browser to find them

    Paul F. Johnson, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Paul F. Johnson

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:p>
    Paul F. Johnson said:

    > http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/reel_north/series1/alexcox.html, you'll
    > throughout the page which according to w3c is a definate neddy-no-no.

    an ID is supposed to be unique to the document. change them to classes
    and also consider using more appropriate names.

    > This page has no chance of validating, despite everything else being
    > happy.

    line 32 is not happy.

    --
    brucie
    27/December/2003 11:38:09 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Paul F. Johnson wrote:

    > If you look at
    > http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/reel_north/series1/alexcox.html, you'll
    > throughout the page which according to w3c is a definate neddy-no-no. This
    > page has no chance of validating, despite everything else being happy.
    >
    > Is there a better way I can write this page so that it will validate?

    An id says "This is the one and only thing called FOO in this document." Try
    class instead ("This is a member of the group of elements BAR").

    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ClassesVsIds

    (Make sure you change your style sheet to use class selectors instead of id
    selectors)

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    David Dorward, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Paul F. Johnson

    PeterMcC Guest

    Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got the vast majority of the ReelNorth
    > (http://www.reelnorth.co.uk) website to validate at w3c except for
    > about 3 pages.
    >
    > The problem with the pages are multiple calls to the same definition
    > on a style sheet.
    >
    > If you look at
    > http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/reel_north/series1/alexcox.html,
    > you'll see the problem. I use <div id="int">, <div id="q"> and <div
    > id="r"> throughout the page which according to w3c is a definate
    > neddy-no-no. This page has no chance of validating, despite
    > everything else being happy.
    >
    > Is there a better way I can write this page so that it will validate?

    ids are once-only on the page - easy enough to change them to classes which
    can be used over again.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,