validation problems

Discussion in 'HTML' started by King of Red Lions, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. King of Red Lions, Oct 6, 2004

  2. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html King of Red Lions said:

    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...atically)&doctype=(detect automatically)&ss=1
    > ... these all errors to do with the links but there is one problem, when
    > I look at the source of my site I don't even have that code they are
    > more like <a href="index.php?page=links>links</a>

    you need to change all the '&' to '&amp;'. as php is generating the '&'s
    you need to tell php its a bad little boy and needs to stop it before it
    goes blind and its giggly bits fall off.

    ini_set("arg_separator.output", "&amp;");

    simple test:

    <?
    $original=ini_get("arg_separator.output");
    ini_set("arg_separator.output", "&amp;");
    $new=ini_get("arg_separator.output");
    echo 'original= '.$original.' new= '.$new;
    ?>

    viewing source should show:

    original= & new= &amp;

    ini_set
    http://www.php.net/manual/sv/function.ini-set.php

    How to change configuration settings
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.changes.php

    or you could just ignore the errors

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s m a k e m e
    brucie, Oct 6, 2004

  3. King of Red Lions

    Deryck Guest

    "King of Red Lions" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I have tried validating my page and it comes up with this ...
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...atically)&doctype=(detect automatically)&ss=1
    >
    > ... these all errors to do with the links but there is one problem, when I
    > look at the source of my site I don't even have that code they are more
    > like <a href="index.php?page=links>links</a>
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.

    Replace the & characters in the links with &amp;

    If they are not in your HTML then you must be using some sort of server side
    include technology that is doing that and you should fix it there.

    Also, update your javascript <script> tags.

    Deryck

    HTH

    Deryck
    Deryck, Oct 6, 2004
  4. King of Red Lions

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:18:12 +1000, brucie <> wrote:

    > you need to tell php its a bad little boy and needs to stop it before it
    > goes blind and its giggly bits fall off.

    I think this is sound advice, but a follow-up question:

    Where do we find PHP's "giggly bits"? Or, more to the point, would we
    *want* to?
    Neal, Oct 6, 2004
  5. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Neal said:

    > Where do we find PHP's "giggly bits"?

    php.ini

    > Or, more to the point, would we *want* to?

    you need to on install so php will do its php thing

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s m a k e m e
    brucie, Oct 6, 2004
  6. brucie wrote:
    > In alt.html Neal said:
    >

    >>Where do we find PHP's "giggly bits"?

    > php.ini

    Okay, call me stupid but where is php.ini?
    King of Red Lions, Oct 6, 2004
  7. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html King of Red Lions said:

    > Okay, call me stupid

    what about stud muffin?

    > but where is php.ini?

    you don't have access to it with a virtual account but you can still
    make changes other ways. the easiest method is just to use ini-set:

    brucie, Oct 6, 2004
  8. brucie wrote:
    > In alt.html King of Red Lions said:
    >

    >>Okay, call me stupid

    > what about stud muffin?
    >

    >>but where is php.ini?

    > you don't have access to it with a virtual account but you can still
    > make changes other ways. the easiest method is just to use ini-set:
    >
    > ini_set("arg_separator.output", "&amp;");
    >
    > ini_set
    > http://www.php.net/manual/sv/function.ini-set.php

    Thanks, worked great. I know have an xhtml validated site. Cheers again!
    King of Red Lions, Oct 6, 2004