validation seems wrong

David Dorward

windandwaves said:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
and got all sorts of errors for html that actually resides in javascript.
What can I do about this?

Exactly what the explanatory message under the error says. Read the FAQ:
http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#faq-javascript
The actual page is:
http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
any other comments on this site are also greatly appreciated.

home
features
secret
accessories
training
dealers
Please move your mouse over the image to discover more...
dealers

* Test it in Lynx.
* Don't mention the mechanics (What image? What mouse?)
* Don't put things in divs if they are not logical blocks

rf

windandwaves said:
Hi Folk

I validate my page:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealer
s.php

and got all sorts of errors for html that actually resides in javascript.
What can I do about this?

Stop using javascript to create such a mission critical part of your page as
your navigaion.

Hint: Turn javascript off in your browser and view the result. Just a map of
NZ. This is what the 10% of people with javascript unavailable will see and
it is also what google will see. No links: no listing.

Cheers
Richard.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:
Hi Folk

I validate my page:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php

and got all sorts of errors for html that actually resides in javascript.
What can I do about this?

The actual page is:

http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php

any other comments on this site are also greatly appreciated.

While viewing your map, I was sort of reminded of one of them blobs from
the Rochaert Tests they gave me during my psycho years.

Anyway, your javascript has errors, too.

Incidentally, is it true that everybody in New Zealand is full of zeal?

cwdjrxyz

windandwaves said:
Hi Folk

I validate my page:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php

and got all sorts of errors for html that actually resides in javascript.
What can I do about this?

The actual page is:

http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php

any other comments on this site are also greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nicolaas

Your problem likely is very easy to solve. When you write html tags
within a javascript, their closing tags must all be backslashed. For
example: <\/p>, <\/div>, and <\/h1>. The script usually will work
without backslashing. The reason for this backslashing is explained
somewhere on the W3C sites. This is the source of one of the most
frequent reports of validation problems to the W3C.

I have no problem with using javascript on a site. It may be a good
idea to include a warning that javascript needs to be on. However for
those wishing to reach the few % of people who turn off javascript and
will not turn it on, there usually is a way to defeat this problem. I
notice you are using php. You usually can write a server side script in
php that will do the same thing as a client side javascript. This php
script can not be turned off by the viewing browser. Or you can instead
use Perl or several other server side languages if any of these strike
your fancy.

cwdjrxyz

[...]

A page at the WDG explains the reason for backslashing closing html
tags within scripts. See
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/problems.html#script . This
page also gives supporting links back to the W3C specifications.

windandwaves

David said:
Exactly what the explanatory message under the error says. Read the
FAQ: http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#faq-javascript

home
features
secret
accessories
training
dealers
Please move your mouse over the image to discover more...
dealers

* Test it in Lynx.
* Don't mention the mechanics (What image? What mouse?)
* Don't put things in divs if they are not logical blocks

yes, that is right, that is exactly what you see in the latest version of
firefox or IE, just laid-out a bit sexier ;-)

windandwaves

rf said:
Stop using javascript to create such a mission critical part of your
page as your navigaion.

Hint: Turn javascript off in your browser and view the result. Just a
map of NZ. This is what the 10% of people with javascript unavailable
will see and it is also what google will see. No links: no listing.

Cheers
Richard.

Hi Richard, please try again .... there is a mouse-over effect, but a link
is also provided for those without javascript (and the googles of this
world).

windandwaves

Neredbojias wrote:

Incidentally, is it true that everybody in New Zealand is full of
zeal?

can you elaborate on that a little ;-) Are you referring to the fact that
we are one of the best performing nations on earth?

windandwaves

Your problem likely is very easy to solve. When you write html tags
within a javascript, their closing tags must all be backslashed. For
example: <\/p>, <\/div>, and <\/h1>. The script usually will work
without backslashing. The reason for this backslashing is explained
somewhere on the W3C sites. This is the source of one of the most
frequent reports of validation problems to the W3C.

Will fix - thank you.

I have no problem with using javascript on a site. It may be a good
idea to include a warning that javascript needs to be on. However for
those wishing to reach the few % of people who turn off javascript and
will not turn it on, there usually is a way to defeat this problem. I
notice you are using php. You usually can write a server side script
in php that will do the same thing as a client side javascript.

Great idea, i actually already provided links that are the same as the
mouse-over, but I will also actively check if javascript is on and serve a
different page if it is not....

Thank you again.

windandwaves

Neredbojias wrote:
While viewing your map, I was sort of reminded of one of them blobs
from the Rochaert Tests they gave me during my psycho years.

can you elaborate?
Anyway, your javascript has errors, too.

my javascript console does not see any

Neredbojias wrote:

can you elaborate on that a little ;-) Are you referring to the fact that
we are one of the best performing nations on earth?

You mean everyone from New Zealand is in the circus? Ya all must go
through a lot of peanuts.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:
Neredbojias wrote:

can you elaborate?

I could, but it brings back bad memories. All them blob-things looked
nothing so much as different variations of poop to me.
my javascript console does not see any

I didn't get any error this time, but did the first time I read your
org. message (using IE).

rf

Hi Richard, please try again .... there is a mouse-over effect, but a link
is also provided for those without javascript (and the googles of this
world).

OK.

[loads IE6]
[turns off active scripting (javascript)]
[loads page]
[takes screenshot]
[uploads screenshot]
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/screenshot/wind.jpg

No links. Nothing. Blank page (except for a map of NZ). Oh, I sometimes see
a title (or is it an alt) when I mouse over the top island but that is pure
and simple mystery meat navigation.

When I select all (Ctrl A) I see some boxes at the left hand side that look
as if they should contain links but they don't. I suspect these are the divs
you have wrapped around your links.

[checks source] I see there are some links in there but they have display:
hidden. I admit that this may get you into google (perhaps) but it does not
help those who have javascript disabled.

Cheers
Richard.

rf

windandwaves said:
but I will also actively check if javascript is on and serve a
different page if it is not....

Er, how do you server a different page if javascript is disabled? With
javascript?

Cheers
Richard.