validation seems wrong

Discussion in 'HTML' started by windandwaves, Aug 28, 2005.

  1. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    windandwaves, Aug 28, 2005

  2. windandwaves wrote:

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
    > and got all sorts of errors for html that actually resides in javascript.
    > What can I do about this?

    Exactly what the explanatory message under the error says. Read the FAQ:
    http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#faq-javascript

    > The actual page is:
    > http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
    > any other comments on this site are also greatly appreciated.

    home
    features
    secret
    accessories
    training
    dealers
    Please move your mouse over the image to discover more...
    dealers

    * Test it in Lynx.
    * Don't mention the mechanics (What image? What mouse?)
    * Don't put things in divs if they are not logical blocks

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Aug 28, 2005

  3. windandwaves

    rf Guest

    windandwaves wrote:

    > Hi Folk
    >
    > I validate my page:

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealer
    s.php

    > and got all sorts of errors for html that actually resides in javascript.
    > What can I do about this?

    Stop using javascript to create such a mission critical part of your page as
    your navigaion.

    Hint: Turn javascript off in your browser and view the result. Just a map of
    NZ. This is what the 10% of people with javascript unavailable will see and
    it is also what google will see. No links: no listing.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 28, 2005
  4. windandwaves

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:

    > Hi Folk
    >
    > I validate my page:
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
    >
    > and got all sorts of errors for html that actually resides in javascript.
    > What can I do about this?
    >
    > The actual page is:
    >
    > http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
    >
    > any other comments on this site are also greatly appreciated.

    While viewing your map, I was sort of reminded of one of them blobs from
    the Rochaert Tests they gave me during my psycho years.

    Anyway, your javascript has errors, too.

    Incidentally, is it true that everybody in New Zealand is full of zeal?

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 28, 2005
  5. windandwaves

    Guest

    windandwaves wrote:
    > Hi Folk
    >
    > I validate my page:
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
    >
    > and got all sorts of errors for html that actually resides in javascript.
    > What can I do about this?
    >
    > The actual page is:
    >
    > http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
    >
    > any other comments on this site are also greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Nicolaas

    Your problem likely is very easy to solve. When you write html tags
    within a javascript, their closing tags must all be backslashed. For
    example: <\/p>, <\/div>, and <\/h1>. The script usually will work
    without backslashing. The reason for this backslashing is explained
    somewhere on the W3C sites. This is the source of one of the most
    frequent reports of validation problems to the W3C.

    I have no problem with using javascript on a site. It may be a good
    idea to include a warning that javascript needs to be on. However for
    those wishing to reach the few % of people who turn off javascript and
    will not turn it on, there usually is a way to defeat this problem. I
    notice you are using php. You usually can write a server side script in
    php that will do the same thing as a client side javascript. This php
    script can not be turned off by the viewing browser. Or you can instead
    use Perl or several other server side languages if any of these strike
    your fancy.

    , Aug 28, 2005
  6. windandwaves

    Guest

    wrote:
    > windandwaves wrote:
    > > Hi Folk
    > >
    > > I validate my page:
    > >
    > > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
    > >
    > > and got all sorts of errors for html that actually resides in javascript.
    > > What can I do about this?
    > >
    > > The actual page is:
    > >
    > > http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
    > >
    > > any other comments on this site are also greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Nicolaas

    > Your problem likely is very easy to solve. When you write html tags
    > within a javascript, their closing tags must all be backslashed. For
    > example: <\/p>, <\/div>, and <\/h1>. The script usually will work
    > without backslashing. The reason for this backslashing is explained
    > somewhere on the W3C sites. This is the source of one of the most
    > frequent reports of validation problems to the W3C.
    >
    > I have no problem with using javascript on a site. It may be a good
    > idea to include a warning that javascript needs to be on. However for
    > those wishing to reach the few % of people who turn off javascript and
    > will not turn it on, there usually is a way to defeat this problem. I
    > notice you are using php. You usually can write a server side script in
    > php that will do the same thing as a client side javascript. This php
    > script can not be turned off by the viewing browser. Or you can instead
    > use Perl or several other server side languages if any of these strike
    > your fancy.

    A page at the WDG explains the reason for backslashing closing html
    tags within scripts. See
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/problems.html#script . This
    page also gives supporting links back to the W3C specifications.

    , Aug 28, 2005
  7. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > windandwaves wrote:
    >

    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
    >> and got all sorts of errors for html that actually resides in
    >> javascript. What can I do about this?

    > Exactly what the explanatory message under the error says. Read the
    > FAQ: http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#faq-javascript
    >
    >> The actual page is:
    >> http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
    >> any other comments on this site are also greatly appreciated.

    > home
    > features
    > secret
    > accessories
    > training
    > dealers
    > Please move your mouse over the image to discover more...
    > dealers
    >
    > * Test it in Lynx.
    > * Don't mention the mechanics (What image? What mouse?)
    > * Don't put things in divs if they are not logical blocks

    yes, that is right, that is exactly what you see in the latest version of
    firefox or IE, just laid-out a bit sexier ;-)

    windandwaves, Aug 28, 2005
  8. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    rf wrote:
    > windandwaves wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Folk
    >>
    >> I validate my page:
    >>

    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealer
    > s.php
    >>
    >> and got all sorts of errors for html that actually resides in
    >> javascript. What can I do about this?

    > Stop using javascript to create such a mission critical part of your
    > page as your navigaion.
    >
    > Hint: Turn javascript off in your browser and view the result. Just a
    > map of NZ. This is what the 10% of people with javascript unavailable
    > will see and it is also what google will see. No links: no listing.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Hi Richard, please try again .... there is a mouse-over effect, but a link
    is also provided for those without javascript (and the googles of this
    world).

    windandwaves, Aug 28, 2005
  9. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:

    > Incidentally, is it true that everybody in New Zealand is full of
    > zeal?

    can you elaborate on that a little ;-) Are you referring to the fact that
    we are one of the best performing nations on earth?

    windandwaves, Aug 28, 2005
  10. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    wrote:
    > windandwaves wrote:
    >> Hi Folk
    >>
    >> I validate my page:
    >>
    >> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
    >>
    >> and got all sorts of errors for html that actually resides in
    >> javascript. What can I do about this?
    >>
    >> The actual page is:
    >>
    >> http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealers.php
    >>
    >> any other comments on this site are also greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Nicolaas

    > Your problem likely is very easy to solve. When you write html tags
    > within a javascript, their closing tags must all be backslashed. For
    > example: <\/p>, <\/div>, and <\/h1>. The script usually will work
    > without backslashing. The reason for this backslashing is explained
    > somewhere on the W3C sites. This is the source of one of the most
    > frequent reports of validation problems to the W3C.

    Will fix - thank you.

    > I have no problem with using javascript on a site. It may be a good
    > idea to include a warning that javascript needs to be on. However for
    > those wishing to reach the few % of people who turn off javascript and
    > will not turn it on, there usually is a way to defeat this problem. I
    > notice you are using php. You usually can write a server side script
    > in php that will do the same thing as a client side javascript.

    Great idea, i actually already provided links that are the same as the
    mouse-over, but I will also actively check if javascript is on and serve a
    different page if it is not....

    Thank you again.

    windandwaves, Aug 28, 2005
  11. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > While viewing your map, I was sort of reminded of one of them blobs
    > from the Rochaert Tests they gave me during my psycho years.

    can you elaborate?

    > Anyway, your javascript has errors, too.

    my javascript console does not see any

    windandwaves, Aug 29, 2005
  12. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    David Dorward wrote:

    > * Don't put things in divs if they are not logical blocks

    .... like which ones?

    windandwaves, Aug 29, 2005
  13. windandwaves wrote:

    >> home
    >> features
    >> secret
    >> accessories
    >> training
    >> dealers
    >> Please move your mouse over the image to discover more...
    >> dealers
    >>
    >> * Test it in Lynx.

    > yes, that is right

    Really? Reads more like nonsense to me.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Aug 29, 2005
  14. windandwaves

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:

    > > Incidentally, is it true that everybody in New Zealand is full of
    > > zeal?

    > can you elaborate on that a little ;-) Are you referring to the fact that
    > we are one of the best performing nations on earth?

    You mean everyone from New Zealand is in the circus? Ya all must go
    through a lot of peanuts.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 29, 2005
  15. windandwaves

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    > > While viewing your map, I was sort of reminded of one of them blobs
    > > from the Rochaert Tests they gave me during my psycho years.

    > can you elaborate?

    I could, but it brings back bad memories. All them blob-things looked
    nothing so much as different variations of poop to me.

    > > Anyway, your javascript has errors, too.

    > my javascript console does not see any

    I didn't get any error this time, but did the first time I read your
    org. message (using IE).

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 29, 2005
  16. windandwaves

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:15:48 +1200, "windandwaves"
    <> wrote:

    >but I will also actively check if javascript is on and serve a
    >different page if it is not....

    The Clues went thattaway =>

    Andy Dingley, Aug 29, 2005
  17. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > windandwaves wrote:

    >>> E
    >>> A
    >>> L
    >>> E
    >>> R
    >>> S
    >>> home
    >>> features
    >>> secret
    >>> accessories
    >>> training
    >>> dealers
    >>> Please move your mouse over the image to discover more...
    >>> dealers
    >>>
    >>> * Test it in Lynx.

    >> yes, that is right

    > Really? Reads more like nonsense to me.

    Well, yes, so does George W. Bush and he is the president of the USA ;-)

    windandwaves, Aug 29, 2005
  18. windandwaves

    rf Guest

    windandwaves wrote:
    > rf wrote:
    > > windandwaves wrote:

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealer
    > > s.php
    > >>
    > >> and got all sorts of errors for html that actually resides in
    > >> javascript. What can I do about this?

    > > Stop using javascript to create such a mission critical part of your
    > > page as your navigaion.

    > Hi Richard, please try again .... there is a mouse-over effect, but a link
    > is also provided for those without javascript (and the googles of this
    > world).

    OK.

    [loads IE6]
    [turns off active scripting (javascript)]
    [loads page]
    [takes screenshot]
    [uploads screenshot]
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/screenshot/wind.jpg

    No links. Nothing. Blank page (except for a map of NZ). Oh, I sometimes see
    a title (or is it an alt) when I mouse over the top island but that is pure
    and simple mystery meat navigation.

    When I select all (Ctrl A) I see some boxes at the left hand side that look
    as if they should contain links but they don't. I suspect these are the divs
    you have wrapped around your links.

    [checks source] I see there are some links in there but they have display:
    hidden. I admit that this may get you into google (perhaps) but it does not
    help those who have javascript disabled.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 29, 2005
  19. windandwaves

    rf Guest

    windandwaves wrote:

    > but I will also actively check if javascript is on and serve a
    > different page if it is not....

    Er, how do you server a different page if javascript is disabled? With
    javascript?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 29, 2005
  20. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    rf wrote:
    > windandwaves wrote:
    >> rf wrote:
    >>> windandwaves wrote:

    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.e-61rocket.co.nz/dealer
    >>> s.php

    >>> Stop using javascript to create such a mission critical part of your
    >>> page as your navigaion.

    >> Hi Richard, please try again .... there is a mouse-over effect, but
    >> a link is also provided for those without javascript (and the
    >> googles of this world).

    > OK.
    >
    > [loads IE6]
    > [turns off active scripting (javascript)]
    > [loads page]
    > [takes screenshot]
    > [uploads screenshot]
    > http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/screenshot/wind.jpg