validation summary not always showing message box

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by TS, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. TS

    TS Guest

    i have a form with val summ on it and most of the time it displays the
    errors on the screen as well as a popup. If all validators are passed and
    execution goes to the server, on certain conditions, i will dynamically
    create a custom validator and add it to the form. The problem is, these
    always get shown in the val summ table, but no popup.

    looking at the other ones, the popup doesn't occur until the submit button
    is clicked. My dynamic validator is set to be false when the page returns to
    the client so that it is shown. Is there a way to get the popup window to
    appear? (i'm afraid with this implementation there's not)

    Thanks a bunch!

    // display error messages in custom validator
    CustomValidator cvValidationMessages = new CustomValidator();

    cvValidationMessages.ID = "cvValidationMessages";

    cvValidationMessages.CssClass = "validator";

    cvValidationMessages.Display = ValidatorDisplay.None;

    cvValidationMessages.Text = "!";

    cvValidationMessages.ErrorMessage = errorMessage;

    cvValidationMessages.IsValid = false;

    this.phCustomValidator.Controls.Add(cvValidationMessages);
    TS, Dec 2, 2005

  2. Hi TS,

    We have reviewed this issue and are currently researching on it. We will
    update you ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    rights."
    Kevin Yu [MSFT], Dec 3, 2005

  3. Hi TS,

    As for the dynamic added validtor not fire messageBox problem, based on my
    testing, it is a expected behavior due to the validtion summary's
    messagebox mechanism. Actually the validation summary's messageBox is
    displayed for those validtor control's clientside validating(which occur at
    clientside before we submit the page....), that's why you only see other
    validator's error message showed in messagebox only before we post back the
    page. Also, we can verify this by disabling other validator's
    clientsidescript, this will also make the messagebox not display after page
    postback and return ....

    So, I think for your custom validator, we may need to consider manually
    register some validation clientside script after we done serverside
    validting, so that it can raise a messagebox after the page is rendered out
    to client ......

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 5, 2005
  4. TS

    TS Guest

    thank you all

    TS, Dec 5, 2005
  5. You're welcome TS,

    Always feel free to post here when you need any assistance.

    Good luck!

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "TS" <>
    | Subject: Re: validation summary not always showing message box
    | Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 09:50:36 -0600
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    |
    | thank you all
    |
    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > Hi TS,
    | >
    | > As for the dynamic added validtor not fire messageBox problem, based on
    my
    | > testing, it is a expected behavior due to the validtion summary's
    | > messagebox mechanism. Actually the validation summary's messageBox is
    | > displayed for those validtor control's clientside validating(which
    occur
    | > at
    | > clientside before we submit the page....), that's why you only see other
    | > validator's error message showed in messagebox only before we post back
    | > the
    | > page. Also, we can verify this by disabling other validator's
    | > clientsidescript, this will also make the messagebox not display after
    | > page
    | > postback and return ....
    | >
    | > So, I think for your custom validator, we may need to consider manually
    | > register some validation clientside script after we done serverside
    | > validting, so that it can raise a messagebox after the page is rendered
    | > out
    | > to client ......
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | >

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "TS" <>
    | > | Subject: validation summary not always showing message box
    | > | Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:33:13 -0600
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    | > |
    | > | i have a form with val summ on it and most of the time it displays the
    | > | errors on the screen as well as a popup. If all validators are passed
    | > and
    | > | execution goes to the server, on certain conditions, i will
    dynamically
    | > | create a custom validator and add it to the form. The problem is,
    these
    | > | always get shown in the val summ table, but no popup.
    | > |
    | > | looking at the other ones, the popup doesn't occur until the submit
    | > button
    | > | is clicked. My dynamic validator is set to be false when the page
    | > returns
    | > | the client so that it is shown. Is there a way to get the popup
    window
    | > | appear? (i'm afraid with this implementation there's not)
    | > |
    | > | Thanks a bunch!
    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 6, 2005