Validation Summary

Guest

I have a Web page which contains several required field and compare
validators. I´ve also add a validation summary control to get a message box
explaining the error cause whenever a user makes a mistake. I don't know why
my Validation Summary Message Box doesn't show up in IE. If turn off
ShowMessageBox and turn on ShowSummary, it works fine. When ShowMessageBox
is on, I´ve set EnableClientScript and ShowMessageBox to true.

I'm using ASP framework 2.0. Solutions I've found revolve around the
WebUIValidation.js file which doesn't exist in 2.0. I created the page using
the Web Application project add-on for Visual Studio 2005, not the
out-of-the-box Web site creation. Any ideas?

bpd

I have a Web page which contains several required field and compare
validators. I´ve also add a validation summary control to get a message box
explaining the error cause whenever a user makes a mistake. I don't know why
my Validation Summary Message Box doesn't show up in IE. If turn off
ShowMessageBox and turn on ShowSummary, it works fine. When ShowMessageBox
is on, I´ve set EnableClientScript and ShowMessageBox to true.

I'm using ASP framework 2.0. Solutions I've found revolve around the
WebUIValidation.js file which doesn't exist in 2.0. I created the page using
the Web Application project add-on for Visual Studio 2005, not the
out-of-the-box Web site creation. Any ideas?

You most likely have "Active Scripting" disabled under Internet
Options/Security.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Barbara,

For your problem web page, if the validation summary's display issue
occured at client-side validating stage, it is likely something incorrect
with the client-side validation script. As Bryan has suggested, you can
check the script setting in client-side webbrowser. Also, ASP.NET 2.0 use
webresource.axd to dynamically emit those built-in client-side scripts
instead of put static script directory under IIS site root. You can open
the html source of the problem page in client-side browser and check the
<script> tag to see whether the one for the client-side validation has been
correctly embeded. e.g.

==================
<script src="/New
Folder/WebResource.axd?d=kI8nlFdzQLIqX3DXiYP4Ng2&amp;t=633049180470124829"
type="text/javascript"></script>

<script src="/New
Folder/WebResource.axd?d=yCyLry01KHgLMt8DVoYS-oZD9fqiRxqJb8dTIG6RueU1&amp;t=
633049180470124829" type="text/javascript"></script>
==================

Also, you can directly paste the link in webbrowser and check whether the
script content can be correctly displayed. If the script can not be
correctly displayed or download, seems there are something incorrectly with
the server-side IIS server's configuration.

Please feel free to post here if you have any other finding or question on
this.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Guest

First of all, "Active Scripting" was and is enabled under Internet
Options/Security.

Second, I found the following when looking at the html source of the problem
page:
<script
src="/EFileWebApplication/WebResource.axd?d=So-UjLwjE7Z4kAK1NGKWNw2&t=632993639229875740" type="text/javascript"></script>

<script
src="/EFileWebApplication/WebResource.axd?d=UV4paiYYY-jwjXuko52t1RZ0U12-1-Y9SnenBVjK0ok1&t=632993639229875740" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script
src="/EFileWebApplication/WebResource.axd?d=BYcKGYXElYRGBPTdN3TR4w2&t=632993639229875740" type="text/javascript"></script>

Is this correct?

If so, what did you mean by the test; 'directly past the link in webbrowser
and check the script content' to check if the IIS server configuration is
incorrect?

bpd

--
Thank-you,
Barbara Alderton

Sorry about the previous multiple posts...

Does it work in other browsers? Do you have any special pop-up
preventer software installed?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Barbara,

The "directly paste the link in webbrowser and check" I mentioned means you
can use the webbrowser to directly request the script resource through the
url embeded in the <script> tag. For example, for your scenario, you get
the following tags in the page's client html source.

=========================
<script
src="/EFileWebApplication/WebResource.axd?d=So-UjLwjE7Z4kAK1NGKWNw2&t=632993
639229875740" type="text/javascript"></script>

<script
src="/EFileWebApplication/WebResource.axd?d=UV4paiYYY-jwjXuko52t1RZ0U12-1-Y9
SnenBVjK0ok1&t=632993639229875740" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script
src="/EFileWebApplication/WebResource.axd?d=BYcKGYXElYRGBPTdN3TR4w2&t=632993
639229875740" type="text/javascript"></script>
=======================

You can paste the url(from the "src" attribute) into the browser(with the
correct server name ahead such as http://servername/). Just like:

http://localhost/EFileWebApplication/WebResource.axd?d=So-UjLwjE7Z4kAK1NGKWN
w2&t=632993639229875740

then, if the url is valid, you should be able to download the stream and
save it as a "js" file. Open it through notepad or any other text editor to
see wehther it contains the validation script functions.

If you still have anything unclear, please feel free to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Guest

I tried what you suggested and it cannot display the page.

I have been doing some playing around and I have found the following. If I
create the VS 2005 Web Application project(not Web Site project) and leave
the default Web properties to use Visual Studio Development Server to run the
app, the pop-up validation summary control works fine, but if I switch to
using the IIS Web server, the control does not work when trying to use the
pop-up message box.

In your previous post, you mentioned there may be something wrong with the
IIS server configuration, which seems to be the case since it doesn't work
when using IIS. Any suggestions if I want to run it using IIS? Since I'm
new to VS 2005 and ASP 2.0, how do you setup up the web site for production
use, without IIS? Can you use the Development Server for deployment?

Guest

I finally got it to work. I had to add .axd mapping to my website
configuration and most importantly, make sure 'Verify that file exists' is
UNchecked.

Posts that I found, seemed to assume that the mapping was already there but
needed to uncheck the box. Do you know why this mapping is not there by
default?

example post:
http://forums.asp.net/thread/1399591.aspx

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Barbara,

Thanks for your followup. I saw that you've found out the cause of this
issue which is caused by the axd handler's configuration in IIS and
ASP.NET. I think this is a reasonable cause since the axd handler's
configuration is important for any dynamic script/or other resource's be
correctly downloaded to client.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Guest

Do you have any further informaiton on why the axd mapping in IIS is not
there by
default? Have you seen this before?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

I've ever seen the issue that "'Verify that file exists'" is checked which
also cause axd handler unable to work(caused by some other custom
configuration utility that change this). However, for axd hhandler's
aspnet_isapi.dll extension mapping, I seldom see such error because this
should be autotmatically registered at .net framework's installation time.

Have you(or any other members who ever deployed asp.net application on the
server) encountered such problem before or has anyone ever changed IIS's
metabase setting? Most likely that the IIS metabase setting (metabase.xml)
has ever been changed if the framework installatino used to be correct.