    i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.

    how do i solve this?
    thanks.

    the idiot, Sep 9, 2003

  2. "the idiot" <> wrote in message
    news:bjkbt7$qvu$...
    > when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
    > attribute 'color' when creating a line.
    >
    > <hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">
    >
    > i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.
    >
    > how do i solve this?
    > thanks.

    Use CSS for those desired presentational effects.

    --
    Karl Core

    Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.

    EightNineThree, Sep 9, 2003

  3. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "EightNineThree" <> wrote in message

    > "the idiot" <> wrote in message
    > > when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
    > > attribute 'color' when creating a line.
    > >
    > > <hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">
    > >
    > > i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.
    > >
    > > how do i solve this?
    > > thanks.
    > >

    > Use CSS for those desired presentational effects.

    cheers. which is the best css tutorial for those of us with only basic
    knowledge?

    the idiot, Sep 9, 2003
  4. the idiot

    mark | r Guest

    "the idiot" <> wrote in message
    > when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
    > attribute 'color' when creating a line.
    >
    > <hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">
    >
    > i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.
    >
    > how do i solve this?

    <hr style="color:#eoeoeo;height:1px;width:300px">

    or better still

    <head>
    ..hr{color:#eoeoeo;height:1px;width:300px}
    <hr class="hr">

    as for the table... i do hope your not using it to define the positions of
    page elements i.e. layout - really people should be taught how to do it
    properly.

    mark

    mark | r, Sep 9, 2003
  5. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "mark | r" <> wrote in message

    > "the idiot" <> wrote in message
    > > when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
    > > attribute 'color' when creating a line.
    > >
    > > <hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">
    > >
    > > i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.
    > >
    > > how do i solve this?

    > <hr style="color:#eoeoeo;height:1px;width:300px">
    >
    > or better still
    >
    > <head>
    > .hr{color:#eoeoeo;height:1px;width:300px}
    > <hr class="hr">
    >
    > as for the table... i do hope your not using it to define the positions of
    > page elements i.e. layout - really people should be taught how to do it
    > properly.
    >
    > mark

    who me? never. (or maybe)... no its just for nice design reasons really. and
    i have now found out how to do it with css. ta.

    the idiot, Sep 9, 2003
  6. "the idiot" <> wrote in message

    > "EightNineThree" <> wrote in

    message

    > > "the idiot" <> wrote in message
    > > > when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
    > > > attribute 'color' when creating a line.
    > > >
    > > > <hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">
    > > >
    > > > i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.
    > > >
    > > > how do i solve this?
    > > > thanks.
    > > >

    > > Use CSS for those desired presentational effects.
    > >

    > cheers. which is the best css tutorial for those of us with only basic
    > knowledge?

    Assload of CSS links:
    http://www.karlcore.com/linksdisplay.php?cat=CSS

    EightNineThree, Sep 9, 2003
  7. the idiot

    > "the idiot" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "EightNineThree" <> wrote in

    > message
    > > >
    > > > "the idiot" <> wrote in message

    table.

    > > > Use CSS for those desired presentational effects.
    > > >

    > > cheers. which is the best css tutorial for those of us with only basic
    > > knowledge?
    > >

    > Assload of CSS links:
    > http://www.karlcore.com/linksdisplay.php?cat=CSS

    ta. ive now solved those problems. though i have another one. on some of my
    pages quotation marks in the text (its a poetry site) come up as 'illegal
    characters' is there anything i can do about that? thanks again.

    the idiot, Sep 9, 2003
  8. "the idiot" <> wrote in message

    > "EightNineThree" <> wrote in

    message

    <snip>
    > > Assload of CSS links:
    > > http://www.karlcore.com/linksdisplay.php?cat=CSS
    > >

    > ta. ive now solved those problems. though i have another one. on some of

    my
    > pages quotation marks in the text (its a poetry site) come up as 'illegal
    > characters' is there anything i can do about that? thanks again.

    For quotation marks you need to use - &quot;

    See: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp

    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/special_characters/

    EightNineThree, Sep 10, 2003
  9. EightNineThree wrote:
    > "the idiot" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>pages quotation marks in the text (its a poetry site) come up as 'illegal
    >>characters' is there anything i can do about that? thanks again.

    > For quotation marks you need to use - &quot;

    Actually, aside from a few special cases like within attribute values,
    you generally can include plain-ASCII single and double quotes (" and ')
    freely without escaping them.

    What is being referenced above is probably a use of bogus control
    characters in the range from #128 through #159, which some proprietary
    software thinks include "curly quotes". There are proper Unicode values
    for those characters, if you want to use them, but not in this range.

    --
    == Dan ==

    Daniel R. Tobias, Sep 10, 2003
  10. the idiot

    > "the idiot" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "EightNineThree" <> wrote in

    > message

    > <snip>
    > > > Assload of CSS links:
    > > > http://www.karlcore.com/linksdisplay.php?cat=CSS
    > > >

    > > ta. ive now solved those problems. though i have another one. on some

    of
    > my
    > > pages quotation marks in the text (its a poetry site) come up as

    'illegal
    > > characters' is there anything i can do about that? thanks again.

    > For quotation marks you need to use - &quot;

    so instead of the left and right double quotation marks i used “ and
    ” (as suggested by 0'reilly html ref book) but still it appears to be
    wrong... it is the (;)semicolon bit that is marked out as being a non-SGML
    character???? does this really matter?

    the idiot, Sep 10, 2003
  11. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "the idiot" <> wrote in message

    > "EightNineThree" <> wrote in

    message

    > > "the idiot" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "EightNineThree" <> wrote in

    > > message

    > > <snip>
    > > > >
    > > > ta. ive now solved those problems. though i have another one. on some

    > of
    > > my
    > > > pages quotation marks in the text (its a poetry site) come up as

    > 'illegal
    > > > characters' is there anything i can do about that? thanks again.

    > > For quotation marks you need to use - &quot;

    > so instead of the left and right double quotation marks i used “ and
    > ” (as suggested by 0'reilly html ref book) but still it appears to be
    > wrong... it is the (;)semicolon bit that is marked out as being a non-SGML
    > character???? does this really matter?

    aha. i knew i should have listened properly....&quot; works a treat. thank
    you very much.

    the idiot, Sep 10, 2003