validation

the idiot

when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
attribute 'color' when creating a line.

<hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">

i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.

how do i solve this?
thanks.

EightNineThree

the idiot said:
when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
attribute 'color' when creating a line.

<hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">

i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.

how do i solve this?
thanks.

Use CSS for those desired presentational effects.

the idiot

EightNineThree said:
Use CSS for those desired presentational effects.
cheers. which is the best css tutorial for those of us with only basic
knowledge?

mark | r

the idiot said:
when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
attribute 'color' when creating a line.

<hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">

i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.

how do i solve this?

<hr style="color:#eoeoeo;height:1px;width:300px">

or better still

<head>
..hr{color:#eoeoeo;height:1px;width:300px}
<hr class="hr">

as for the table... i do hope your not using it to define the positions of
page elements i.e. layout - really people should be taught how to do it
properly.

mark

the idiot

mark | r said:
<hr style="color:#eoeoeo;height:1px;width:300px">

or better still

<head>
.hr{color:#eoeoeo;height:1px;width:300px}
<hr class="hr">

as for the table... i do hope your not using it to define the positions of
page elements i.e. layout - really people should be taught how to do it
properly.

mark
who me? never. (or maybe)... no its just for nice design reasons really. and
i have now found out how to do it with css. ta.

Daniel R. Tobias

EightNineThree said:
For quotation marks you need to use - &quot;

Actually, aside from a few special cases like within attribute values,
you generally can include plain-ASCII single and double quotes (" and ')
freely without escaping them.

What is being referenced above is probably a use of bogus control
characters in the range from #128 through #159, which some proprietary
software thinks include "curly quotes". There are proper Unicode values
for those characters, if you want to use them, but not in this range.

the idiot

EightNineThree said:
of

For quotation marks you need to use - &quot;

so instead of the left and right double quotation marks i used “ and
” (as suggested by 0'reilly html ref book) but still it appears to be
wrong... it is the (;)semicolon bit that is marked out as being a non-SGML
character???? does this really matter?

the idiot

the idiot said:
so instead of the left and right double quotation marks i used “ and
” (as suggested by 0'reilly html ref book) but still it appears to be
wrong... it is the (;)semicolon bit that is marked out as being a non-SGML
character???? does this really matter?
aha. i knew i should have listened properly....&quot; works a treat. thank
you very much.