ValidationSummary does not show message box when ShowMessageBox is true

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Blibo Baggins, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. My app has custom validator, and validation summary controls.

    When the custom validator fires, it displays the error message on the
    form, but I can not get it to pop up a message box with the error,
    even though I set ShowMessageBox = True.

    Would someone please let me know what I am doing wrong.

    I attach an (over simplified) example of similar code which has the
    same problem.

    Thanks in advance.

    Neil

    --- ASPX CODE ---
    Codebehind="WebForm1.aspx.vb" Inherits="pl.WebForm1"%>
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <title>WebForm1</title>
    </HEAD>
    <asp:TextBox id="TextBox1" style="Z-INDEX: 101; LEFT: 48px;
    POSITION: absolute; TOP: 40px" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:Button id="Button1" style="Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT: 88px; POSITION:
    absolute; TOP: 88px" runat="server"
    Text="Save"></asp:Button>
    <asp:CustomValidator id="CustomValidator1" style="Z-INDEX: 104;
    LEFT: 56px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 144px"
    runat="server" ErrorMessage="CustomValidator"
    ControlToValidate="TextBox1"></asp:CustomValidator>
    <asp:ValidationSummary id="ValidationSummary1" style="Z-INDEX: 105;
    LEFT: 48px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 192px"
    runat="server" ShowMessageBox="True"></asp:ValidationSummary>
    </form>
    </HTML>
    --- END ASPX CODE ---

    -- ASPX.VB CODEBEHIND ---
    Public Class WebForm1
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

    InitializeComponent()

    End Sub
    Protected WithEvents TextBox1 As System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox
    Protected WithEvents Button1 As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
    Protected WithEvents CustomValidator1 As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.CustomValidator
    Protected WithEvents ValidationSummary1 As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ValidationSummary

    'NOTE: The following placeholder declaration is required by the
    Web Form Designer.
    'Do not delete or move it.

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
    'CODEGEN: This method call is required by the Web Form
    Designer
    InitializeComponent()
    End Sub

    #End Region

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    End Sub

    Private Sub CustomValidator1_ServerValidate(ByVal source As
    System.Object, ByVal args As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ServerValidateEventArgs) Handles
    CustomValidator1.ServerValidate
    If Not Me.TextBox1 Is Nothing _
    AndAlso Not Me.TextBox1.Text Is Nothing Then
    args.IsValid = False
    CustomValidator1.ErrorMessage = Me.TextBox1.Text
    Else
    args.IsValid = False
    End If
    End Sub
    End Class
    -- END ASPX.VB CODEBEHIND ---
    Blibo Baggins, Sep 30, 2004

  2. Hi Neil,

    Looks like a bug... I couldn't make it work either.

    I'll pass it along to a contact at MS to see what they say.

    Ken
    MVP [ASP.NET]

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Sep 30, 2004

  3. Hi Neil,

    I think that you should try to add a client side script validation function
    to your custom validator. It may happen that the ValidationSummary control
    can only show the message box (which is a client side script call to
    window.alert()) if the client side validation fails (and the page is not
    submitted).

    In your case, you only have server side validation (for the custom
    validator) and you only see the error message after the page is re-sent to
    the browser after the server-side validation. It may be a bug (of
    ValidationSummary control implementation) to not show the message box if the
    page is being rendered with an error message generated by server side
    validation, but I think adding client side validation (if possible) for your
    custom validator may be a useful workaround.

    Hope this helps.
    Marcelo

    Marcelo Dabanovich Lavio, Sep 30, 2004
  4. Blibo Baggins

    JustMe Guest

    Microsoft confirmed to me that this IS a bug. There will not be a
    quickfix, so you have to use one of the workarounds mentioned at
    http://khsw.blogspot.com/2004/09/bug-in-aspnet-validator_07.html

    Kind regards

    JustMe, Oct 4, 2004
  5. Re: ValidationSummary does not show message box when ShowMessageBo

    This link considers a completely different problem and does address the
    ShowMessageBox problem at all.

    Steven Burton, Nov 17, 2004