Validator - problem with border in a frameset

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Robert Rybiañski, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. I have got one problem witch W3C HTML Validator.

    I made a site witch frames and I don't know how I could

    set border=0 for a frameset (using css style). Now HTML

    Validator shows me the information:

    <information>

    This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Frameset!
    Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
    parser.

    Line 13, column 17: there is no attribute "BORDER" (explain...).
    <frameset border="0" rows="64,*,64">

    </information>

    Is it possible to resolve this problem using css (I don't

    know how do this - I can set border=0 for tables (css)

    but for frames nothing is working).

    --

    Robert
    Robert Rybiañski, Dec 5, 2003

  2. "Robert Rybiañski" <> wrote in message

    Uff.. sorry for this empty lines (something is wrong with my newsgroups
    program's settings)... :|

    --

    Robert
    Robert Rybiañski, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Robert Rybiañski

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Robert Rybiañski" <> wrote:

    >I have got one problem witch W3C HTML Validator.
    >
    >I made a site witch frames and I don't know how I could
    >set border=0 for a frameset (using css style). Now HTML

    The method of getting rid of frameborders in HTML 4.01 is to specify
    frameborder="0" on each <frame> tag. See
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/frames.html#edef-FRAME

    However, browsers don't support this and instead support the
    non-standard attributes border, frameborder and framespacing on the
    <frameset> tag.

    So you have three choices:

    1. Write a standards compliant page with visible frame borders.
    2. Write a non-standards compliant page with invisible frame borders.
    3. Don't use frames at all.

    Option 3 is strongly recommended.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Dec 5, 2003
  4. "Robert Rybia?ski" <> wrote:

    > From: "Robert Rybia?ski" <>
    >
    > "Robert Rybia?ski" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Uff.. sorry for this empty lines (something is wrong with my newsgroups
    > program's settings)... :|

    Use these settings if you want to transmit special characters:

    Tools > Options > Send
    Mail Sending Format > Plain Text Settings > Message format MIME
    News Sending Format > Plain Text Settings > Message format MIME
    Encode text using: None

    Then select ISO-8859-2 to get your name right (Rybiañski?).

    --
    Top posting.
    What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?
    Andreas Prilop, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Also sprach Steve Pugh:

    > So you have three choices:
    >
    > 1. Write a standards compliant page with visible frame borders.
    > 2. Write a non-standards compliant page with invisible frame borders.
    > 3. Don't use frames at all.

    4. Write your own DTD: www.mlynarczyk-webdesign.de (but then the page is
    still not complying with official W3C standards - only that the validator
    will not give any ugly error messages).

    5. Use frames in a way where the visible borders will not do any harm to the
    design.

    6. Consider using iframes if appropriate.

    > Option 3 is strongly recommended.

    All the options have their advantages and drawbacks. If you just want a menu
    to remain visible after scrolling, you can use some JavaScript to move it.
    Still better is position:fixed, but so far it seems to be supported only by
    Mozilla and maybe the latest Opera.
    Thomas Mlynarczyk, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Robert Rybiañski

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:bqr18l$312$03$-online.com>
    Thomas Mlynarczyk said:

    > Still better is position:fixed, but so far it seems to be supported only by
    > Mozilla and maybe the latest Opera.

    opera6 supports fixed; i don't know what happened to my opera5 so i cant
    test. its not supported by 3.62.

    theres a fix for IE
    http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/

    --
    brucie
    06/December/2003 09:54:01 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 6, 2003
  7. Robert Rybiañski

    Steve Pugh Guest

    brucie <> wrote:

    >in post <news:bqr18l$312$03$-online.com>
    >Thomas Mlynarczyk said:
    >
    >> Still better is position:fixed, but so far it seems to be supported only by
    >> Mozilla and maybe the latest Opera.

    >opera6 supports fixed; i don't know what happened to my opera5 so i cant
    >test. its not supported by 3.62.

    Supported in Opera 5.12

    Steve Pugh, Dec 6, 2003
  8. Thomas Mlynarczyk, Dec 6, 2003