Validator - problem with border in a frameset

Robert Rybiañski

I have got one problem witch W3C HTML Validator.

I made a site witch frames and I don't know how I could

set border=0 for a frameset (using css style). Now HTML

Validator shows me the information:

<information>

This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Frameset!
Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
parser.

Line 13, column 17: there is no attribute "BORDER" (explain...).
<frameset border="0" rows="64,*,64">

</information>

Is it possible to resolve this problem using css (I don't

know how do this - I can set border=0 for tables (css)

but for frames nothing is working).

Robert Rybiañski

Uff.. sorry for this empty lines (something is wrong with my newsgroups
program's settings)... :|

Steve Pugh

Robert Rybiañski said:
I have got one problem witch W3C HTML Validator.

I made a site witch frames and I don't know how I could
set border=0 for a frameset (using css style). Now HTML

The method of getting rid of frameborders in HTML 4.01 is to specify
frameborder="0" on each <frame> tag. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/frames.html#edef-FRAME

However, browsers don't support this and instead support the
non-standard attributes border, frameborder and framespacing on the
<frameset> tag.

So you have three choices:

1. Write a standards compliant page with visible frame borders.
2. Write a non-standards compliant page with invisible frame borders.
3. Don't use frames at all.

Option 3 is strongly recommended.

Steve

Andreas Prilop

From: "Robert Rybia?ski" <[email protected]>

Uff.. sorry for this empty lines (something is wrong with my newsgroups
program's settings)... :|

Use these settings if you want to transmit special characters:

Tools > Options > Send
Mail Sending Format > Plain Text Settings > Message format MIME
News Sending Format > Plain Text Settings > Message format MIME
Encode text using: None

Then select ISO-8859-2 to get your name right (Rybiañski?).

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Steve Pugh:
So you have three choices:

1. Write a standards compliant page with visible frame borders.
2. Write a non-standards compliant page with invisible frame borders.
3. Don't use frames at all.

4. Write your own DTD: www.mlynarczyk-webdesign.de (but then the page is
still not complying with official W3C standards - only that the validator
will not give any ugly error messages).

5. Use frames in a way where the visible borders will not do any harm to the
design.

6. Consider using iframes if appropriate.
Option 3 is strongly recommended.

All the options have their advantages and drawbacks. If you just want a menu
to remain visible after scrolling, you can use some JavaScript to move it.
Still better is position:fixed, but so far it seems to be supported only by
Mozilla and maybe the latest Opera.

Steve Pugh

brucie said:
opera6 supports fixed; i don't know what happened to my opera5 so i cant
test. its not supported by 3.62.

Supported in Opera 5.12

Steve