VALIGN Paragraph not in a table?

Poddys

I have a form that contains a TEXTAREA of 5 rows. The title of the
text area is to the left of the input field. I want the title to
appear on the top row, but it appears on the bottom row.

If I had the form in a table I know I could use <TR VALIGN=TOP>, but I
really don't want to put the form within a table if I don't have to.

Is it possible to do this please?

Thanks in advance...

Code is below with diamond brackets changed...

Comments: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
(TEXTAREA name="Comments" rows="5" cols="40"
wrap="physical")(/TEXTAREA)

iwasjoeking

Try this...

&nbsp; </span>
<TEXTAREA name="Comments" rows="5" cols="40"
wrap="physical"></TEXTAREA>
</label>

BootNic

Poddys said:
news: (e-mail address removed)
I have a form that contains a TEXTAREA of 5 rows. The title of the
text area is to the left of the input field. I want the title to
appear on the top row, but it appears on the bottom row.

If I had the form in a table I know I could use <TR VALIGN=TOP>, but I
really don't want to put the form within a table if I don't have to.

Is it possible to do this please?
[snip]
<label for="mytextarea" style="vertical-align:top;
margin-right:3em; cursor:pointer;">Comments:</label>
<textarea id="mytextarea" name="Comments" rows="5" cols="40" style=
"overflow:auto;"></textarea>

--
BootNic Tuesday, October 24, 2006 7:46 PM

Inform all the troops that communications have completely broken
down.
*Ashleigh Brilliant*

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Poddys:
I have a form that contains a TEXTAREA of 5 rows.

That's far too small for most purposes. You're telling users that you don't
care about their convenience and that you don't want any real comments -
especially not any detailed, well-written, useful comments. How much can you
say on five lines? (Quite a lot if you are a professional journalist, but
most people aren't.)
The title of the
text area is to the left of the input field.

Why? That's bad, because it consumes the valuable horizontal width for
nothing useful, as compared with putting the "title" (i.e., label) before
the textarea.
Comments: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
(TEXTAREA name="Comments" rows="5" cols="40"
wrap="physical")(/TEXTAREA)

HTML markup in Usenet messages, fix its settings <u>now</u> or get a better

(That's because the only reason for munging markup by replacing "<" and ">"
by "(" and ")" is the expectation that newsreaders do such foolish things.)

Make it
<textarea id="comm" rows="20" cols="60" style="width:100%">
</textarea>

Poddys

Thanks everyone.

I tried your solution iwasjoeking - worked fine except I could not get
the text box to align with the other input fields on the form.
Bootnic your solution worked perfect - except the margin of 3 I had to
change to 7 but everything is now looking much better.

Span and Division are a couple of things I haven't really used in my
web design. I have managed well enough without them so far, but I
think it's about time to learn more again.

That and to revamp my whole site in php so I can generate pages with
many links on the fly...