    Comments: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    (TEXTAREA name="Comments" rows="5" cols="40"
    wrap="physical")(/TEXTAREA)

    Poddys, Oct 24, 2006

  2. Poddys

    iwasjoeking Guest

    Try this...

    &nbsp; </span>
    <TEXTAREA name="Comments" rows="5" cols="40"
    wrap="physical"></TEXTAREA>
    </label>

    iwasjoeking, Oct 24, 2006

  3. Poddys

    iwasjoeking Guest

    Oops, don't need the "</label>" tag at the bottom. Left over from
    testing.

    iwasjoeking, Oct 24, 2006
  4. Poddys

    BootNic Guest

    > Poddys <> wrote:
    > I have a form that contains a TEXTAREA of 5 rows. The title of the
    > text area is to the left of the input field. I want the title to
    > appear on the top row, but it appears on the bottom row.
    >
    > If I had the form in a table I know I could use <TR VALIGN=TOP>, but I
    > really don't want to put the form within a table if I don't have to.
    >
    > Is it possible to do this please?

    [snip]
    <label for="mytextarea" style="vertical-align:top;
    margin-right:3em; cursor:pointer;">Comments:</label>
    <textarea id="mytextarea" name="Comments" rows="5" cols="40" style=
    "overflow:auto;"></textarea>

    --
    BootNic Tuesday, October 24, 2006 7:46 PM

    Inform all the troops that communications have completely broken
    down.
    *Ashleigh Brilliant*

    BootNic, Oct 25, 2006
  5. Scripsit Poddys:

    > I have a form that contains a TEXTAREA of 5 rows.

    That's far too small for most purposes. You're telling users that you don't
    care about their convenience and that you don't want any real comments -
    especially not any detailed, well-written, useful comments. How much can you
    say on five lines? (Quite a lot if you are a professional journalist, but
    most people aren't.)

    > The title of the
    > text area is to the left of the input field.

    Why? That's bad, because it consumes the valuable horizontal width for
    nothing useful, as compared with putting the "title" (i.e., label) before
    the textarea.

    > Comments: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    > (TEXTAREA name="Comments" rows="5" cols="40"
    > wrap="physical")(/TEXTAREA)

    HTML markup in Usenet messages, fix its settings <u>now</u> or get a better

    (That's because the only reason for munging markup by replacing "<" and ">"
    by "(" and ")" is the expectation that newsreaders do such foolish things.)

    Make it
    <textarea id="comm" rows="20" cols="60" style="width:100%">
    </textarea>

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 25, 2006
  6. Poddys

    Poddys Guest

    Thanks everyone.

    I tried your solution iwasjoeking - worked fine except I could not get
    the text box to align with the other input fields on the form.
    Bootnic your solution worked perfect - except the margin of 3 I had to
    change to 7 but everything is now looking much better.

    Span and Division are a couple of things I haven't really used in my
    web design. I have managed well enough without them so far, but I
    think it's about time to learn more again.

    That and to revamp my whole site in php so I can generate pages with
    many links on the fly...

    Poddys, Oct 25, 2006