Value just contiues (commaseparated?)

jodleren

Hi all

In a form, I have some hidden values, which once set stays forever.
There is an ignore option, and I keep it, as it might be needed later.
If is default false (<>"true"), that works well.
Just before </from> I set the value.
In 2 places, there is a small script, which can set the value to true.
But the problem is, that it just "grows", second time it is not
"false" but "false, false", and it just gets longer.

Why?

WBR
Sonnich

Code:

response.write request("ignore_mf") & "<br>"
bIgnoreMissing=safe_str(request.form("ignore_mf")) = "true"
request.form("ignore_mf")="" ' does not help
request.form("ZipError")=""
response.write "bIgnoreMissing= " & cstr(bIgnoreMissing) & "<br>"

<form...><%
if bIgnoreMissing then
%><input type="hidden" name="ignore_mf" value="true"><%
else
%><input type="hidden" name="ignore_mf" value="false"><%
end if

[...]

And this does not set it?

<input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Continue anyway"
class="button2"
onClick="document.forms[0].elements
['ignore_mf'].value='true';">

It is java, so it does not belong here. But I guess the problem is
related to my commaseparated text?

WBR
Sonnich

Evertjan.

jodleren wrote on 13 nov 2009 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

<%
bIgnoreMissing = safe_str(request.form("ignore_mf")) = "true"
if bIgnoreMissing then
%><input type="hidden" name="ignore_mf" value="true"><%
else
%><input type="hidden" name="ignore_mf" value="false"><%
end if
%>

Why not the far more readable:

<%
if safe_str(request.form("ignore_mf")) = "true" then
bIgnoreMissing = "true"
else
bIgnoreMissing = "false"
end if
%>

<input type='hidden' name='ignore_mf' value='<% = bIgnoreMissing %>'>

jodleren

jodleren wrote on 13 nov 2009 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

Why not the far more readable:

<%
if safe_str(request.form("ignore_mf")) = "true" then
    bIgnoreMissing = "true"
else
    bIgnoreMissing = "false"
end if
%>

<input type='hidden' name='ignore_mf' value='<% = bIgnoreMissing %>'>

Well, that did not explain my problem :)

Evertjan.

jodleren wrote on 16 nov 2009 in
%>'>

Well, that did not explain my problem :)

It was not ment to do.

Which shows that a usenet NG is not a paid helpdask.

However I urge you to pay[ ;-) ] attention,
as readable programming surfaces otherways obscure errors.

Dan

jodleren said:
[...]

Can you post the code without snipping? I'm guessing that the cause of the
problem has been snipped out.

If you keep getting values appended like that, then it's normally caused by
having 2 fields of the same name, each with one of the values. So, for
instance, you have the code above which writes out a hidden field called
ignore_mf and sets it to either true or false, which is fine. But if you
have another hidden field called ignore_mf in the same form, which just has
the value from request.form written into it (maybe you have this for
debugging or testing), then the browser will send both hidden fields, and
the result is the values appended to each other with a comma between them
(because that's how ASP stuffs multiple fields with the same name into a
single value).

I'd suggest you view the source of your form, and look for any duplicated
ignore_mf fields. If you have multiple forms on one page, make sure you have
closed each correctly. Maybe you have more than one form, each has an
ignore_mf field, and because you've omitted a </form> tag they're being
treated as one form (or you've made a HTML error that causes the </form> to
be ignored because it's in the wrong place - use a HTML validator to check
for this).