value="" option on input type="file" in ASP.NET

IkBenHet

Hello,

I am uploading a file using this form in ASP.NET. I have also added a
simpel textfield:
<form runat="server" enctype="multipart/form-data">
<input type="file" id="oFile" Name="oFile" size="70" runat="Server">
<input type="text" SIZE="20" MAXLENGTH="20" id="Name" NAME="Name">
<input type="submit" id="Submit" runat="Server" value="Submit"
OnServerClick="SubmitButton_Click">
</form>

I want to do some validation on the textfield "Name". When for example
the field is not filled in or does not contain the correct value, I
want is come back to the form with an error message and already fill in
the previous submitted values (so the user does not need to fill in the
complete form again). No problem so far.

The problem starts when I return to the form and then want to pass the
submitted path back to the oFile field. Something like: <input
type="file" id="oFile" Name="oFile" size="70" runat="Server"
value="<%=sPostedFilePatch%>">

It seems to be impossible to set the "value" option for a input field
with type="file".

How can I make sure that user does NOT have to browse for the file
again when another field than the "oFile" field has a incorrect value.

Thanks

Hans Kesting

IkBenHet said:
[...]

Try to remove the "runat=server". As a security precaution, you *can't* set
the value for a fileinput.

Hans Kesting

Patrice

You can't set programmatically this value for safety reasons (it would allow
to pick files on client machine without the user permission).

Possible workarounds :
- change the UI
- validate client side
- validate server side without refreshing the page (IFRAME, XMLHTTP)
- others ?

Patrice