ValueError: invalid literal for int():

Discussion in 'Python' started by lee, Jul 26, 2010.

  1. lee

    lee Guest

    Hi,

    I have a value,

    partintid = int(Screw plugg (91_10 -> untitled))

    but i get ValueError: invalid literal for int(): Screw plugg (91_10 -
    > untitled)

    any help?

    -
    Sunny
    lee, Jul 26, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. lee

    Chris Rebert Guest

    On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:25 AM, lee <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a value,
    >
    > partintid = int(Screw plugg  (91_10 -> untitled))
    >
    > but i get ValueError: invalid literal for int(): Screw plugg  (91_10 -
    >> untitled)

    > any help?


    That is most certainly not your actual exact code, since it has a few
    SyntaxErrors and thus Python would have bailed-out long before it ever
    got the chance to raise ValueError. Please copy-and-paste the *actual
    exact code* and exact error message.
    Also, next time say what the desired output/behavior you're seeking is.

    That being said, if your code is (as I suspect) in actuality:

    partintid = int("Screw plugg  (91_10 -> untitled)")

    then I would agree with int() and say that that string is nowhere
    close to representing an integer (how precisely is "Screw" to be
    interpreted as an integer, pray tell?); so what's so surprising about
    getting an error when trying to convert it to one?

    I suspect you're trying to extract 91 or 10 from the string. Use
    string methods[1] to parse the desired numerical section out of the
    string, and then pass the resulting numerical string to int(), which
    will accept it without error and properly convert it.

    If you want more detailed help, please provide a specification of
    typical input strings and desired output integers.

    [1]: http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#string-methods

    Regards,
    Chris
    --
    http://blog.rebertia.com
    Chris Rebert, Jul 26, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. lee

    Chris Rebert Guest

    > On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Chris Rebert <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:25 AM, lee <> wrote:
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I have a value,
    >> >
    >> > partintid = int(Screw plugg  (91_10 -> untitled))
    >> >
    >> > but i get ValueError: invalid literal for int(): Screw plugg  (91_10 -
    >> >> untitled)
    >> > any help?

    <snip>
    >> I suspect you're trying to extract 91 or 10 from the string. Use
    >> string methods[1] to parse the desired numerical section out of the
    >> string, and then pass the resulting numerical string to int(), which
    >> will accept it without error and properly convert it.
    >>
    >> If you want more detailed help, please provide a specification of
    >> typical input strings and desired output integers.
    >>
    >> [1]: http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#string-methods


    On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Sunny chilgod <> wrote:
    > Hi Chris,
    > Thanks for your help. but i need to to convert the whole string to int.
    > heres my full code,
    > ptid = 'item_01bom'
    > so item_01bom is a field name in form, so i get its value,
    > partintid = int(form[ptid]).  # the value of form[ptid] is 'Screw plugg
    >  (91_10 - untitled)'
    > Hence i get the error. hope i am clear now.


    Nope, still vague. Which is your desired value for partintid: 91? 10?
    9110? "91_10"? Something else?

    Also, not to be unfriendly, but just note for future reference that
    top-posting ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting ) is generally
    avoided on this mailinglist/newsgroup.

    Cheers,
    Chris
    --
    http://blog.rebertia.com
    Chris Rebert, Jul 26, 2010
    #3
  4. On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 04:12:33 -0700, Chris Rebert wrote:

    > On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Sunny chilgod <>
    > wrote:
    >> Hi Chris,
    >> Thanks for your help. but i need to to convert the whole string to int.
    >> heres my full code,
    >> ptid = 'item_01bom'
    >> so item_01bom is a field name in form, so i get its value, partintid =
    >> int(form[ptid]).  # the value of form[ptid] is 'Screw plugg
    >>  (91_10 - untitled)'
    >> Hence i get the error. hope i am clear now.

    >
    > Nope, still vague. Which is your desired value for partintid: 91? 10?
    > 9110? "91_10"? Something else?



    Well, if you interpret 'Screw plugg (91_10 - untitled)' as a base-256
    number, the correct answer is:

    147,334,663,384,405,567,160,096,068,524,905,866,724,622,858,761,848,595,862,392,584,788,047,651,881


    Obviously.



    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Jul 26, 2010
    #4
  5. lee

    lee Guest

    On Jul 26, 4:30 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st...@REMOVE-THIS-
    cybersource.com.au> wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 04:12:33 -0700, Chris Rebert wrote:
    > > On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Sunny chilgod <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hi Chris,
    > >> Thanks for your help. but i need to to convert the whole string to int..
    > >> heres my full code,
    > >> ptid = 'item_01bom'
    > >> so item_01bom is a field name in form, so i get its value, partintid =
    > >> int(form[ptid]).  # the value of form[ptid] is 'Screw plugg
    > >>  (91_10 - untitled)'
    > >> Hence i get the error. hope i am clear now.

    >
    > > Nope, still vague. Which is your desired value for partintid: 91? 10?
    > > 9110? "91_10"? Something else?

    >
    > Well, if you interpret 'Screw plugg (91_10 - untitled)' as a base-256
    > number, the correct answer is:
    >
    > 147,334,663,384,405,567,160,096,068,524,905,866,724,622,858,761,848,595,862,392,584,788,047,651,881
    >
    > Obviously.
    >
    > --
    > Steven


    Hi,

    i got the value wrong. sorry for the mistake. i get a int value like
    "01", so no issue converting it to integer.
    thanks.
    lee, Jul 26, 2010
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Tim Williams
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    638
    Tim Williams
    May 28, 2004
  2. =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Martin_MOKREJ=A9?=

    ValueError: invalid literal for int(): 1.0000000000e+00

    =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Martin_MOKREJ=A9?=, Feb 14, 2005, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    378
    Grant Edwards
    Feb 14, 2005
  3. Terry Reedy
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,786
    Terry Reedy
    Feb 15, 2005
  4. davidj411
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    1,294
    Kam-Hung Soh
    May 29, 2008
  5. blivori
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    392
    blivori
    Aug 8, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page