    only want the page(s) I access to be compiled.

    Is that possible?

    Glen

    Glen, Jun 26, 2003

  2. "Glen" <> wrote in
    news::

    > As I understand it, when the first page of an application is
    > accessed, all ASPX/ASCX/etc. files in the same folder are
    > compiled using the JIT compiler.

    Glen,

    That's not correct. You can see what ASP.NET is doing by examining
    the temporary ASP.NET folder during your program's execution. The
    folder is located at:

    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\<YOUR APP'S NAME>\64f05764\576f54e7

    The names of the last two subfolders are random numbers, and will be
    different on your system.

    Start your application, then navigate to that folder using Windows
    Explorer. (If Windows Explorer already has that folder open when the
    app starts, ASP.NET may throw an error).

    Access a page on your site. Check the folder for new files ASP.NET
    generated. For example, when I accessed the login page on my site,
    seven new temporary files were generated by ASP.NET on the fly (.cs,
    ..cmdline, .dll, .err, .out, .pdb, and .res).

    > As a developer, I am sometimes working on a single file that is
    > in a folder with many (dozens or hundreds) of other files. After
    > rebuilding the project, I want to look at that one ASPX file.
    > However, I must always wait for all the other ASPX files in the
    > folder to also be compiled.

    Is that really the case? If all of the pages are being compiled,
    their associated temporary files will show up in the temporary
    folder. If that's not happening, then something else is causing the
    delay.

    Hope this helps.

    Chris.
    -------------
    C.R. Timmons Consulting, Inc.
    http://www.crtimmonsinc.com/

    Chris R. Timmons, Jun 26, 2003

  3. Glen

    Glen Guest

    Okay...

    1. I completely emptied the temporary folder.

    2. I rebuilt the application (which builds the main assembly DLL(s)) -
    nothing new in the temp folder

    3. I accessed one page in the application root folder. After about a 6
    second delay for the JIT, the page appeared. The temp folder now has a tree
    of folders with a total of 13 folders, 26 files using 2,181 KB of space.

    4. I accessed another page in the same root folder. No delay.

    5. I accessed a page in a subfolder. There was a short delay (4 sec?). Now,
    the temp folders tree has 91 files using 2,483 KB.

    6. Another page in same subfolder. No noticable delay. Temp folders now have
    99 files.with 2,551 KB.

    7. Access a page in a different subfolder. Short delay of about 4 seconds.
    Temp folders now have 140 files, 2,735 KB.

    8. Access another page in same subfolder. Very short delay. Now have 148
    files, 2,795 KB.

    So, I suspect my understanding was wrong.

    Not every page in a folder is compiled on first access. Each page seems to
    be compiled to a DLL when it is first accessed. However, the first page in a
    folder does take a lot longer to compile than other pages.

    Is there anyway to expedite this process?

    Warning! After step 8, I recompiled the Solution. It looks like it tried to
    delete the temporary folder, but I had it open in Explorer. Now, the two
    numbered folders are still there and cannot be accessed or deleted, even by
    an Administrator. Also, the application cannot start, since it also tries to
    write to that temp folder! I'll reply to this note when I get this
    resolved.

    Glen

    Glen, Jun 26, 2003