Variable scope question

GS

Hello,

I have following code below. I need to pass object action to SetReturnURL method but compiler will not compile it becouse action is defined within "if" block.
How do I define action before if statement?

if (ReturnCall.ApplicationDisplayName == "")
{
ModifyActionCodeType action = ModifyActionCodeType.Add;
}
else
{
ModifyActionCodeType action = ModifyActionCodeType.Update;
}
try
{
call.SetReturnURL(action,System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager..AppSettings["DisplayName"], aet);

Guest

Just define your action BEFORE the if statement:
ModifyActionCodeType action;
if (ReturnCall.ApplicationDisplayName == "")
{
action = ModifyActionCodeType.Add;
}
else
{
action = ModifyActionCodeType.Update;
}

or use a short-hand syntax:

ModifyActionCodeType action = (ReturnCall.ApplicationDisplayName == "") ?
ModifyActionCodeType.Add : ModifyActionCodeType.Update;

GS

çÅÎÉÊ