    What is the SIMPLEST way to have 2 subroutines use the same variables (59 of
    them)? I don't know much about OOP. I need a way that uses very few
    concepts until I get a grasp of the process.
    dancer, Sep 20, 2007

  2. dancer

    Sam Guest

    If the 2 subroutines in the same class, you can use a class scope variable
    with in that class. If they are in separate classes, you can declare a
    variable in a module which is visible to all classes

    Sam

    Sam, Sep 20, 2007

  3. dancer

    Tim Mackey Guest

    hi
    since you are in asp.net, i am guessing that the code you are writing will
    be in a page. Every page in asp.net is a class. if you put your variables
    inside the class declaration, all the subroutines can share the variables.
    if you are in visual studio, the 'class' is defined in the code-behind file.
    the asp.net quickstart tutorials are a great way to learn about asp.net.
    http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/
    you will need to learn about OOP to get good at .net so it will be well
    worth your time. here is another link to a VB.Net OOP introduction:
    http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/OOPS_In_VBNET.asp
    plenty more on http://www.google.com/search?q=vb.net OOP

    hope this helps
    tim

    Tim Mackey, Sep 20, 2007
  4. dancer

    Just Me Guest

    Using modules to declare public variables is of course possible, but to me
    it begs the question, has one come up with a good design. I think having 59
    public variables would suggest that improvements could be made to the OOP.

    Good OOP class design ususally tried to make the class self contained in
    terms of functionality. To have 59 of those in one class, although possible
    *suggests* at least a '*Potential*' for loss of control and/or integrety.

    I would be wary of this.

    Now if your talking about system settings for contant values like
    CompanyName, Phone, AdministratorsName, etc etc etc. then there are better
    ways to do this than using a module.

    I think the OP needs to explain why he needs these in order to get a better
    insight from the experts in this group

    HTH

    Just Me, Sep 20, 2007
  5. dancer

    Sam Guest

    Just Me,

    I agree with what you are saying. However, since I don't know much of the
    details of his application, time frame that he has to implement the changes
    for the business, his language skills. I'm giving couple of quick fix
    options that he can do.

    Sam

    Sam, Sep 20, 2007
  6. dancer

    Just Me Guest

    Dont get me wrong. It was not meant as a criticism, just an alternate view.

    Just Me, Sep 21, 2007
  7. dancer

    dancer Guest

    Thanks for replying.
    I looked here www.developerfusion.co.uk/vbnet/288/ - from the google page
    you suggested.
    I was trying the tutorial. It was making a lot of sense. But then I hit a
    snag. The same snag that somebody else hit.
    This is a question posed by another student, but it was not answered:

    "I am very impressed by your tutorial as it finally allowed me to grasp the
    syntax behind OOP programming with .net.
    Only what I did not understand is how and where do I complile the .cs to a
    dll? I cannot do it on the server. Do I do it on my local computer and then
    upload? "

    Would you know the answer to this question? I tried doing it from my
    command prompt. I tried doing it from my localhost. No luck. I tried
    putting the .cs code directly in my aspx file. Still no luck. What am I
    missing?

    dancer, Sep 21, 2007
  8. dancer

    dancer Guest

    I do have the vbc.exe on my computer in both
    c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 and also in
    v2.0.50727

    dancer, Sep 21, 2007
  9. dancer

    Tim Mackey Guest

    hi,
    if you have the .Net SDK installed on your computer, then you can look up
    the documentation on how to use the compiler. i'm sure you can also run
    "vbc /?" to get a list of options. if i were you i would download Visual
    Web Developer (free version of Visual Studio) and then you don't need to
    worry about command line syntax etc.
    msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/

    good luck
    tim

    Tim Mackey, Sep 22, 2007
  10. dancer

    dancer Guest

    I have Visual Web Developer Express Edition, but it is overwhelming - trying
    to learn the program AND the oop concept.
    I am following a tutorial that is making OOP make sense to me, so I want to
    continue for a while.
    I figured out how to use vbc. But now I need to know how to tell what is
    in a dll file. I compiled a .vb file that created a .dll. But my aspx file
    that is supposed to use it ignores the info in it, if there is any. Is
    there any way to see what is in that dll file?

    Thanks!

    dancer, Sep 25, 2007
  11. dancer

    Just Me Guest

    Just some general thoughts.

    If you are coming from (and it sounds like you are) a place with very little
    (relevent) experience in programming. Then you will find it overwhelming.
    The thing to keep in mind is small victories. Because there is a wealth of
    reading to be done, it in itself can get you down a bit, so concentrate on
    the simpler projects to begin with and gain confidence as you go along. Be
    prepared to devote your life to this; you must eat, sleep, breath and c***
    this stuff, because that is what it is going to take to get anywhere useful,
    and be persistent; 'always'.

    You have a very long, hard road ahead of you, but like eating an Elephant,
    it can be done, just not in one go!

    Make good use of other minds like you are doing here, but also try and
    contribute to the group as well as taking from it, because even in the
    contribution you will get something out of it.

    When you don't understand something fully, try and write about it with a
    novice reader in mind; nothing crystallises the mind more than writing what
    you don't know a great deal about.

    HTH

    Just Me, Sep 26, 2007
  12. dancer

    dancer Guest

    Thank you. I am doing exactly what you recommend, except contributing to
    the group, because I don't think I have anything to contribute yet.
    But as for my question...... Can you tell me how to find out what is in a
    dll file?

    dancer, Sep 26, 2007
  13. dancer

    Mick Walker Guest

    dancer wrote:
    > Thank you. I am doing exactly what you recommend, except contributing to
    > the group, because I don't think I have anything to contribute yet.
    > But as for my question...... Can you tell me how to find out what is in a
    > dll file?

    I hate suggesting this to you. But I think you are boxing above your
    weight at the moment.
    However if you are determined then check out Reflector
    http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/ (And yes it is another IDE to learn)
    Mick Walker, Sep 26, 2007
  14. "Mick Walker" <> wrote in message

    > However if you are determined then check out Reflector
    > http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/ (And yes it is another IDE to learn)

    Am I missing something here...?

    In VWD, is it not possible to add a reference to the DLL in question and
    then inspect it with Object Browser...?

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 26, 2007
  15. dancer

    Just Me Guest

    Without reading all the way up, if this is a .net dll then you can use
    ILDASM to inspect whats inside the assembly. But this is probably more than
    you need to know, most people never go there ;-D

    Just Me, Sep 26, 2007
  16. "Just Me" <news.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Without reading all the way up, if this is a .net dll then you can use
    > ILDASM to inspect whats inside the assembly. But this is probably more
    > than you need to know, most people never go there ;-D

    Indeed so - I took it from the OP that he just needed to see the
    interface...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 26, 2007
  17. dancer

    Just Me Guest

    Ahh. . . OK, btw, i'm making good headway in the shopping cart stakes.

    Ta Very Much.

    Just Me, Sep 26, 2007
  18. "Just Me" <news.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > btw, i'm making good headway in the shopping cart stakes.

    See? Didn't I tell you I knew you could do it...? ;-)

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 26, 2007