variables vs signals

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by etoktas, Jul 18, 2006.

  1. etoktas

    etoktas

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2006
    Messages:
    3
    I am working on a project where the speed is so important.

    While writing my vhdl code,

    Firstly, I have used structural vhdl style where it contains some signals connecting components.The code can be synthesized but speed is low.

    Secondly, I have chosen dataflow vhdl style where I used variables connecting some functions and procedures .Synthesis tool (Synplify 8.5B)says that it infers some ROMs and the code uses a lot of resources in the fpgas I targeted (Actel axcelerator ,Proasicplus families).

    My questions are :

    1) I am thinking that using variables(functions, procedures) makes the code faster,am I right?

    2) I have read some about inferring roms (syn_romstyle attribute) etc.

    Can you tell me more using this attribute?

    3) How can I prevent my code using a lot of combinational resources instead of ROM blocks?

    etoktas, Jul 18, 2006