VB code is too fast => gives wrong value

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Andre, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. Andre

    Andre Guest

    Hi,

    I need to fetch a value in an Access db, so i use a form to pass the
    parameter for the SQL statement fromVB client to ASP. After the submit line
    in VBscript, i expect the value in order to test it and go further in
    VBscript. But my problem is when clicking on the button, that the VB code
    doesn't wait to get that value and continues directly, so the a=<%=totd%>
    line give 0 in stead of the real value. If i click a second time, i get the
    value.
    Any way to let de VB code after dtot.submit wait before it gets the value?
    See the code:
    <%
    totd = 0
    dat=Request.Form("dt")
    If Request.Form("dt") <> "" Then totd = records()
    Function records()
    set objdc = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    objdc.Open("provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source
    =d:\access\newres.mdb")
    sql="select logon, count(uur) as totdag from studres where cdate(dag)='" &
    dat & "' "
    set rs=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.recordset")
    rs.open sql, objdc, 3, 3
    records=rs.recordcount
    Set rs = Nothing
    End Function
    %>
    <script language=vbscript>
    sub hfd_onclick()
    a=0
    dat="6/30/2004"
    document.getElementById("dt").value=dat
    dtot.action="test3.asp" '=name of this file
    dtot.method="post"
    dtot.submit
    'too fast here
    a=<%=totd%> '=0 on the first click, the real value on the second
    click
    msgbox a
    end sub
    </script>
    <form name=dtot>
    <input name="dt" type="hidden" value="" >
    <INPUT name=hfd TYPE="button">
    </form>

    Thanks
    andré

    Andre, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Andre

    Mark Schupp Guest

    a=<%=totd%>

    is in the client-side vbscript so it will already be executed (and a set to
    0) before you submit the form. If you need an alert box to display a result
    of the form post you will have to put it outside of the onsubmit function

    Try

    MsgBox "=<%=totd%>"

    after the "End Sub" statement in your client-side script block

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Jun 29, 2004

  3. Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 29, 2004
  4. Andre

    Patrice Guest

    It looks like you expect the change to take place immediately after calling
    the submit method. Display the HTML source for your page. It's likely you'll
    see :

    dtot.submit
    a=0
    MsgBox a

    So :
    - the page is "submitted" (actually it's more likely "queued" as the script
    must terminate before the page is really submitted)
    - a is 0
    - 0 is displayed

    The script ends, the page is submitted and you get the new updated client
    side code...

    Patrice

    Patrice, Jun 29, 2004
  5. Andre

    Andre Guest

    Thanks, but in fact, i need that value from ASP in the procedure
    hfd_onclick() because that value must be tested further in that procedure. I
    put msgbox just to check the value. For example, if the value = 2, then
    button "A" in the page must become visible, otherwise button "B" etc ...

    &

    Andre, Jun 29, 2004
  6. Andre

    Mark Schupp Guest

    That is not how http works. You will have to submit the form and then in the
    new page returned by that request to the server, add Javascript code to do
    whatever further processing you need.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Jun 29, 2004
  7. Andre

    Patrice Guest

    Here you are mixing client and server side processing :

    - if you want to post the data, post them and have the server side page
    recreates the page with the appropriate buttons
    - if you don't need to post the data just have some client JavaScript code
    that updates the current page

    Keep in mind that the life cycle is always :
    - the browser ask a page (possibly posting data)
    - the server responds with a new page
    - the browser can then handle the page locally until another request is made
    to the server (possibly posting data)

    Patrice, Jun 30, 2004