VB(ish) replacement

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Dave Boland, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Dave Boland

    Dave Boland Guest

    The other day I was asked if there is an open source replacement for VB6
    that is cross-platform. I spent a little bit of time at Barnes-Noble
    and looking at news groups, but don't have a good answer. Hope you can
    help without geting into a language war. These will be for commercial
    applications with a GUI.

    What they seem to be looking for is:
    1. High level language, but not necessarly VB compatible.
    2. OOP
    3. Reasonalble learning curve
    4. Cross-platform
    5. IDE and ability to graphically design windows.
    6. Distribute programs as .exe's, so some sort of compiler needed.
    7. Serial communications library (RS-232, 485, USB)
    8. SNMP library
    9. Good performance (not expected to be as fast as C/C++)
    10. Windows are native to each O.S.
    11. Database support of Access and MySQL

    It looks like any of the three languages have most or all of what they
    need, but I don't use scripting languages enough to give a good answer.

    Dave,
    Dave Boland, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Dave Boland

    Larry Bates Guest

    Others have answered most of the other questions.

    > 11. Database support of Access and MySQL

    Access databases can be accessed via ODBC,
    DAO, or ADO interfaces on Windows. MySQL has
    native interface from Python.

    Questions you didn't ask:

    12) Can interface to existing COM+ objects, write new
    COM+ objects and write Windows services.

    Python

    13) Can write scripts, applications (console and GUI),
    and web services with single language.

    Python

    14) Has extensive standard library to support email
    (SMTP, IMAP), FTP, HTTP, logging, regular expressions,
    arrays, and many more. Third party libraries for
    imaging (Python Imaging Library), PDF generation
    (ReportLab), Graphing (ReportLab Graphics) and
    XML parsing (PyRXP by ReportLab). Just to name a
    few.

    Python

    15) Easy to write C language extensions for language

    Python

    16) Code that you can actually understand when you
    come back to read it a year later.

    Python (priceless ;-)

    You might want to take a look at the experience of
    another company:

    http://python.oreilly.com/news/disney_0201.html

    HTH,
    Larry Bates
    Syscon, Inc.

    Larry Bates, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Dave Boland

    Scott Rubin Guest

    Dave Boland wrote:
    > The other day I was asked if there is an open source replacement for VB6
    > that is cross-platform. I spent a little bit of time at Barnes-Noble
    > and looking at news groups, but don't have a good answer. Hope you can
    > help without geting into a language war. These will be for commercial
    > applications with a GUI.
    >
    > What they seem to be looking for is:
    > 1. High level language, but not necessarly VB compatible.
    > 2. OOP
    > 3. Reasonalble learning curve
    > 4. Cross-platform
    > 5. IDE and ability to graphically design windows.
    > 6. Distribute programs as .exe's, so some sort of compiler needed.
    > 7. Serial communications library (RS-232, 485, USB)
    > 8. SNMP library
    > 9. Good performance (not expected to be as fast as C/C++)
    > 10. Windows are native to each O.S.
    > 11. Database support of Access and MySQL
    >
    > It looks like any of the three languages have most or all of what they
    > need, but I don't use scripting languages enough to give a good answer.
    >
    > Dave,

    I'm fairly certain you can use python and glade together to make cross
    platform GTK+ guis in a graphical way. I'm also fairly certain that it
    meets all your requirements. There might be a way to use glade with
    other gtk supporting languages. Also, KDevelop I think can do the same
    with Qt stuff, but I don't know for sure since I haven't used it in a
    long time. Don't you have any programmers who can make guis the "real"
    way instead of drawing them with a VB type interface? it's not that hard
    if you draw them on paper with a pencil and plan them out first.

    -Scott
    Scott Rubin, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Dave Boland

    John J. Lee Guest

    Dave Boland <> writes:
    [...]
    > What they seem to be looking for is:
    > 1. High level language, but not necessarly VB compatible.
    > 2. OOP
    > 3. Reasonalble learning curve
    > 4. Cross-platform
    > 5. IDE and ability to graphically design windows.
    > 6. Distribute programs as .exe's, so some sort of compiler needed.
    > 7. Serial communications library (RS-232, 485, USB)
    > 8. SNMP library
    > 9. Good performance (not expected to be as fast as C/C++)
    > 10. Windows are native to each O.S.
    > 11. Database support of Access and MySQL
    >
    > It looks like any of the three languages have most or all of what they
    > need, but I don't use scripting languages enough to give a good answer.

    Can't speak for Ruby, but I'm fairly sure both Perl and Python do fine
    on all points but 3.

    Python does fine on the remaining point. Perl fails *badly* here:

    http://www.google.com/groups?threadm=&selm=D87u12z90eq.fsf%40pobox.com

    I've used a fair number of programming languages. Perl is the only
    one I'd unhesitatingly call 'pathological'. And I do speak as an
    admirer of the language: before Python was around and well-supported,
    it served an important purpose. Now, though, it fills a much-needed
    gap <wink>

    John
    John J. Lee, Jul 20, 2004
  5. If you are looking to stay close to VB, here are some to look at:

    http://hbasic.sourceforge.net/
    http://gambas.sourceforge.net/

    Or for something completely different:
    http://www.naken.cc/vb2c/

    http://www.gnome.org/projects/gb/
    Gnome basic, now dead. However, mbas, the Mono Basic *is* alive and well,
    and might be what you are looking for: http://www.go-mono.com/mbas.html
    (site not accessible at time of post).

    I may start a flame war with this, but from what I understand, VB is
    actually a distant descendant of Ruby. So, that might tell you something.

    Joshua Kugler, Sep 11, 2004