VB.NET app cannot deploy on any client machine! Exception couldn't be handled!!!

Bill Nguyen

Forgive me for cross-posting, I'm desperated.
-------------
Client machine: Win2K server SP4 with both .NET framework 1.0 & 1.1
installed. VB.NET app developed using an XP Pro with VS.NET 2003 / .NET
framework 1.1
You help is greatly appreciated.
Bill

--------------------------

Common Language Runtime Debugging Services:
Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x248 (584), Thread id=0xe68 (3688).

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.

Bill Nguyen

Dear Steve;
I already have the dotnetfx.exe downloaded and installed in my client
machines. Version 1.1.4322.573.
I'm not sure what to do next to fix the problem! Can you please be more
specific?
Thanks
Bill

Vijay Balki

Bill,

Did you build a setup project from Visual Studio and then deploy the client
on your Win2k machine? Please make sure you do this. Just installing .NET
Framework runtime does not include all files needed. If your application
used some controls, you will need to build setup and then install the
client. Let me know if this works.

VJ

Bill Nguyen

Vjay;
This is what I did:

1. Developed the VB.NET application on an XP machine using VS.NET 2003
Architect version
2. Built a setup project whole "Project Output" includes Primary Output,
Content Files, and Localized Resources.
3. Ran the setup to install the .NET app on client machines with .NET
frameowrk installed.

The setup worked fine on the development machine and ANY XP machine that has
VS.NET 2003 installed (I got another one at work and 1 at home).
On machines without VS.NEt installed, teh installation went well but I got
error message trying to run the application from both local hard drive and a
shared folder.
Hope that this clarifies the issue.
Thanks
Bill

Bill Nguyen

Steve;
I only downloaded dotnetfx.exe and ran it to install .NET framework on the
client machines. I did this several times and still having problem running
my VB.NET app on client machines. I never used dotnetfx to deploy a .NET
application. I couldn't find the instructions anywhere.
Please refer to my answer to Vijay regarding application deloyment.
Thanks
Bill

Bill Nguyen

Steve;
I tried this, and still not working. For testing purposes, I created a "Helo
world" VB.NET app with the deployment package, and it worked fine.
My existing app uses some COM components and accesses couple external hosts
via ODBC drivers. I guess that there are files/libraries that must be
installed on the client machine. The problem is that I don't know which
components that are needed to include in the deployment package.

Any idea?
Thanks again.
Bill

Vijay Balki

Bill,

Is your setup project in a separate solution? Try building a the setup in
the same solution as your application, the dependency refresh for related
files are better.

Vijay

Ajay Bhola

I have similar problem in my application. My application has 1 exe and
couple of dlls. This application works well when I run from C: drive but
when I try to run from Network drive it produce error like yours i.e.
Common Language Runtime Debugging Services:
Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x248 (584), Thread id=0xe68 (3688).

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.

I think it is related to security policy. I am able to run from C: drive (on
the same PC) as it full trust to all the assemblies. I am also about to try
caspol.exe and give full access to all assemblies in the package. If you
have dependent dlls then do caspol -af for them first and then to exe. You
can read about caspol.exe more before doing.

cheers,
Ajay

Bill Nguyen

Vijay;
The setup project is included in the same solution.

This is what I found:

I installed VS.NET on an XP client machine, install the application setup
application, and the app started to work. I verify the .NET framework
version on my development machine vs. those client machines that failed to
run the app, they are the same v 1.1.4322 (I believe it's the same version
with the latest DONEtfx.exe).
This really puzzled me.. I can't install VS.NEt on every client machine!
There must be some addditional files that need to be installed on the client
machine. The problem is that I can't figure out which files they are. The
dependenccies in the setup application look fine.
I guess my last resort is to install the .NET framework from the VS.NET CD
if I can locate where the file iss on the CD.
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Bill

Vijay Balki

Some Win2K machine, which I assume are you client machines, require the
Pre-Req CD content to be installed first, before you install VS.NET.

Also, I have never tried VS.NET on WIN2K server. Maybe there are issues with
that.

Vijay

Bill Nguyen

Vijay;
I had the same problem on XP machines too. But I'm going to try to install
..NET framework ONLY from the VS.NET 2003 CD to see if it makes any
difference.
THanks again.
Bill

Lucas Tam

Common Language Runtime Debugging Services:
Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x248 (584), Thread id=0xe68 (3688).

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.

Are you missing an ActiveX DLL. I've seen this happen when the application
can't find a particular DLL. My app used MSDATA.DLL and for some reason it
HAD to be in the application's directory and not just in the System32 dir.

Bill Nguyen

I guess so. The problem is that I don't know which ones! I expect the setup
project would detect all dependencies and include them in the installation
package.
I have 2 more days to get it up and running either on client machines or
from a shared folder. I'm willing to pay for the cost of helping me to make
it work. Please contacct me via email if any of you are interested.
Thanks
Bill