    another project underway using that. Big sister says we should have some
    measure of coverage for each other and that we shouldn't have gone a
    separate path. Is there anything to mitigate this situation?
    Guest, Jan 31, 2007

    Oliver Sturm Guest

    Hello ,

    >One organization:two places. We proceeded with a project using C# while
    >our (big) sister group in another location seems to favor VB.net because
    >there's another project underway using that. Big sister says we should
    >have some measure of coverage for each other and that we shouldn't have
    >gone a separate path. Is there anything to mitigate this situation?

    Well, yes... it doesn't make that big a difference, in many cases. Of
    course a programmer who works in VB.NET will often have problems reading
    C# code (for some reason that I'm not going to guess about here this is
    rarely a problem the other way round), but apart from that both languages
    target the same runtime in .NET, so they both have the same set of
    functionality at their disposal. Assemblies written in either of the
    languages can interoperate perfectly with the other language, and
    cross-debugging is not a problem. There are some minor exceptions to all
    these rules, but in general the distinction has never been less important
    than it is on the .NET platform.

    Oliver Sturm
    --
    http://www.sturmnet.org/blog
    Oliver Sturm, Jan 31, 2007

    RobinS Guest

    That's funny, I've found that C# programmers can't understand VB, but most
    VB programmers can read C#. VB programmers have to learn to at least read
    and understand C# out of self-defense, because so many of the examples in
    the world are written in C#. ;-)

    I agree with Oliver, though; I don't think it matters.

    Robin S.

    RobinS, Feb 1, 2007
  4. RobinS schreef:
    > That's funny, I've found that C# programmers can't understand VB, but most
    > VB programmers can read C#. VB programmers have to learn to at least read
    > and understand C# out of self-defense, because so many of the examples in
    > the world are written in C#. ;-)

    And if you're leasy you'll use reflector to generate the VB code from an
    assembly ;)

    --
    Tim Van Wassenhove <url:http://www.timvw.be/>
    Tim Van Wassenhove, Feb 1, 2007

    RobinS Guest

    That would be too easy! (Check my sig line.)

    And it doesn't help you when you have a book you really, really want to
    understand, and the examples in the book are all in C#. That's actually how
    I started learning C# to start with -- because of Brian Noyes' Data Binding
    book. Luckily for me, he had code downloads in both languages, so I read
    the book in C#, then looked up the translation. It actually helped a lot.

    So I'm learning WPF now, and all the books are in C#, so I've given up and
    ordered a C# book, too. What the heck, why do it in pieces? :-D

    Thanks for the idea, though, when I hit something I really can't figure
    out.

    Robin S.
    Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.

    RobinS, Feb 2, 2007