VB.Net vs. C#, never they twain...or not?

Guest

One organization:two places. We proceeded with a project using C# while our
(big) sister group in another location seems to favor VB.net because there's
another project underway using that. Big sister says we should have some
measure of coverage for each other and that we shouldn't have gone a
separate path. Is there anything to mitigate this situation?

Oliver Sturm

Hello ,
One organization:two places. We proceeded with a project using C# while
our (big) sister group in another location seems to favor VB.net because
there's another project underway using that. Big sister says we should
have some measure of coverage for each other and that we shouldn't have
gone a separate path. Is there anything to mitigate this situation?

Well, yes... it doesn't make that big a difference, in many cases. Of
course a programmer who works in VB.NET will often have problems reading
C# code (for some reason that I'm not going to guess about here this is
rarely a problem the other way round), but apart from that both languages
target the same runtime in .NET, so they both have the same set of
functionality at their disposal. Assemblies written in either of the
languages can interoperate perfectly with the other language, and
cross-debugging is not a problem. There are some minor exceptions to all
these rules, but in general the distinction has never been less important
than it is on the .NET platform.

Oliver Sturm

RobinS

That's funny, I've found that C# programmers can't understand VB, but most
VB programmers can read C#. VB programmers have to learn to at least read
and understand C# out of self-defense, because so many of the examples in
the world are written in C#. ;-)

I agree with Oliver, though; I don't think it matters.

Robin S.

Tim Van Wassenhove

RobinS schreef:
That's funny, I've found that C# programmers can't understand VB, but most
VB programmers can read C#. VB programmers have to learn to at least read
and understand C# out of self-defense, because so many of the examples in
the world are written in C#. ;-)

And if you're leasy you'll use reflector to generate the VB code from an
assembly ;)

RobinS

That would be too easy! (Check my sig line.)

And it doesn't help you when you have a book you really, really want to
understand, and the examples in the book are all in C#. That's actually how
I started learning C# to start with -- because of Brian Noyes' Data Binding
book. Luckily for me, he had code downloads in both languages, so I read
the book in C#, then looked up the translation. It actually helped a lot.

So I'm learning WPF now, and all the books are in C#, so I've given up and
ordered a C# book, too. What the heck, why do it in pieces? :-D

Thanks for the idea, though, when I hit something I really can't figure
out.

Robin S.
Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.