    without registering it with classic .ASP?

    Reason why my hosting is charging me for registering .DLL.

    TIA.

    Al, Jun 2, 2005

  2. Al

    McKirahan Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does any one know a way how to use a visual basic 6 written activex .DLL
    > without registering it with classic .ASP?
    >
    > Reason why my hosting is charging me for registering .DLL.
    >
    > TIA.

    Here's an idea that I haven't tested ...

    Try GetObject() instead of Server.CreateObject().

    If the component is registered then you will instantiate it as a regular
    component :
    <%
    Dim objDLL
    Set objDLL = Server.CreateObject("xxx.dll")
    %>

    If not, then you can use the Server.MapPath method :
    <%
    Dim objDLL
    Set objDLL = GetObject(Server.MapPath("xxx.dll"))
    %>

    Adapted from:
    Using the component with ASP/VBScript
    http://www.mylittletools.net/scripts/en/mlw/methods.asp

    Using Components and Objects in ASP
    http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/scripts/print.aspx?id=1725

    McKirahan, Jun 2, 2005

  3. Al

    Al Guest

    Thank you much but GetObject() did not work.

    Al, Jun 2, 2005
  4. Al

    McKirahan Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you much but GetObject() did not work.

    Not that it will make a difference, but:

    Was it in the same folder as the ASP page?

    Otherwise, the following line needs a change:

    Set objDLL = GetObject(Server.MapPath("xxx.dll"))

    McKirahan, Jun 2, 2005
  5. Al

    Tim Slattery Guest

    "Al" <> wrote:

    >Does any one know a way how to use a visual basic 6 written activex .DLL
    >without registering it with classic .ASP?

    I don't think so. An ActiveX Server DLL (which is what you invoke in a
    server.CreateObject call) is found by searching the registry. If
    there's no entry for it in the registry it can't be found. So it must
    be registered.

    >Reason why my hosting is charging me for registering .DLL.

    Because it's a way they can get a few more dollars out of you?
    Registering the library takes a small amount of time for one of their
    employees. If you haven't written the library properly, it might be
    more than a little bit of time. And there's some risk on their part in
    running a program on their system that they know nothing about.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    Tim Slattery, Jun 3, 2005