VB6 Combo box text property equivalent in HTML Select control

swapna.munukoti

Hi all,

Is there a way to display some text in html select control by default
which when the control is clicked, will not be listed in the drop down
that contains its options.

For example:
When I open a page, there is a combo box with "Select" displayed in
that. It looks like that item is selected. But when I click that combo
box, it does not list "Select" in the drop down. Instead it lists the
items to be selected.

I know that this can be achieved in vb6 using Text property of the
combo box control.
But is there a way to achieve the same with HTML controls?

Hope I am clear in explaining what I want to achieve.

Thanks,
Swapna.

Eliyahu Goldin

In theory it is possible on client side with javascript. You need to work
out what event(s) to handle and to manipulate the item collection
programmatically.

Practically, it will be difficult unless you are already experienced in this
sort of tasks. I don't think it is worth the effort.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer