VB6 to VN.net, asp.net guidance

rg

I am starting the journey from VB6 to the dotnet world.

Are there web sites available to guide an old VB6 developer through this?

What is the best way to start this?

I need to learn dotnet vb.net, asp.net then crm.

Regards.

RobinS

I'd check out Tim Patrick's new book --
Start-to-Finish Visual Basic 2005 -- that comes out 11/15.
From what I understand, you get to learn VB2005 and write
a whole application, not just lots of little ones. I think
it has web stuff in it, too. I noticed it on amazon, and am
looking forward to it coming out.

Good luck.
Robin S

Scott M.

Check out http://ASP.NET as well as the Quickstart Tutorials provided with
the .NET SDK.

Most importantly, if your coming to ASP.NET with a background in VB6 and /
or classic ASP, you should not approach ASP.NET with any pre-conceived ideas
about how to get stuff done. VB.NET and ASP.NET are completely different
beasts than VB6 & Classic ASP.

RobinS

Do you have any other books you recommend for ASP.Net? I want to
learn that, but don't know anything other than basic HTML. I know
VB.Net, and want to learn ASP.Net, but there are a lot of books to
choose from. A recommendation or two would be helpful.

Since I haven't done any ASP.Net, I have preconceived notions.
Isn't that keen?

Thanks,
Robin S.
-----------------------------

Scott M.

I really like "Programming Visual Basic .NET" by Francesco Balena (published
by MS Press).

The book is an excellent way to get into many aspects of .NET including
ASP.NET.

RobinS

Okay, that's really entertaining. My favorite book is
"Programming Visual Basic 2005: The Language" by
Mr. Balena. Mine doesn't really has ASP.Net
specific info, though -- it's just about the
VB language.

Is the book to which you refer the prior
version? Does it have a lot lf ASP.Net-specifics
in it, or is it primarily about the VB.Net language?

Great minds think alike,
Robin S.

Scott M.

I am referring to the edition about the 1.1 Framework and VS .NET 2003.

The book is nearly 1400 pages, 227 of which (part IV of the book) is on
Internet Applications.

I realize this may not work for you if you are using 2005 and the 2.0
Framework, but I haven't started with that yet, so I can't really offer a
suggestion on that.