    edition of Visual C++ 2005 and want to get started with C++. I'm interested
    in Windows desktop apps. Is there a good text book that will help me through
    the initial days of this new language and MS's IDE.
    Bob Richardson, Feb 17, 2006

  2. Bob Richardson wrote:
    > I'm brand new to C++ programming, but I have decades of experience in
    > Fortran, Pascal, & Delphi programming. I've just installed the Express
    > edition of Visual C++ 2005 and want to get started with C++. I'm
    > interested in Windows desktop apps. Is there a good text book that
    > will help me through the initial days of this new language and MS's
    > IDE.

    There probably is. Why don't you ask in a Windows programming newsgroup
    about it or in 'microsoft.public.vc.language'?

    Victor Bazarov, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Bob Richardson

    GB Guest

    Bob Richardson wrote:
    > I'm brand new to C++ programming, but I have decades of experience in
    > Fortran, Pascal, & Delphi programming. I've just installed the Express
    > edition of Visual C++ 2005 and want to get started with C++. I'm interested
    > in Windows desktop apps. Is there a good text book that will help me through
    > the initial days of this new language and MS's IDE.

    C++, Windows desktop programming, and the MS Visual C++ IDE are three
    large separate subjects that are the topics of three or more separate
    usenet groups. The comp.lang.c++ group deals only with the C++ part,
    which does not include any GUI or IDE facilities.

    If you want to learn C++ it is probably a good idea to start with pure
    C++ programs that don't involve using a GUI or any other
    Windows-specific facilities. That means creating what VC++ calls
    "console" applications.

    A good book for someone who has experience with other programming
    languages is Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo. You can read about it
    here: http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/. This does not discuss Windows
    programming though. Another good one is C++ Primer 4th Edition by Lippman.

    For Windows-specific programming, ask on a Windows group.

    Whatever book you get, make sure it was written after 1998, which is
    when the C++ language standard was completed and the language stopped
    being a moving target.

    Gregg
    GB, Feb 18, 2006