VC++ capabilities and advice...

Discussion in 'C++' started by Naran Hirani, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. Naran Hirani

    Naran Hirani Guest

    Hi fellow Netters,

    I need to re-write a very old C/C++ application written in the days when
    MS/PC-DOS was king.
    The reason for the re-write is that the application needs some new
    functionality, but more
    crucially, some existing functionality does not seem to work on the
    current MS OSs.

    The application works with a bespoke electrical gadget which emits a
    radio wave signal at a fixed frequency.
    This gadget is mounted on a trolley, and when switched on sends radio
    waves back to a receiver attached
    to a pc via its com port. As the trolley is moved forward, the receiver
    picks up the signals emitted from
    the device on the trolley. The captured signals are read by the
    application via the PCs com port.
    The application then analyses these signals in real-time plotting a
    graph based on the distribution of the
    signals over time, measured using the PCs clock ticks etc. The data
    collected in this way gets further
    analysed off-line using fairly basic statistical techniques to calculate
    variance, co-variance, average trolley
    speed, etc.

    The application does not seem to be able to display this graph correctly
    in real time on the more modern
    OSs, e.g. W2K and WME. Hence the need for a complete re-write.

    I am a complete novice in visual C++ so I was wondering if you gurus
    could advice me whether VC++ is upto
    such a job or not? I guess the key elements of this application are:
    real time graph display, com port i/o API, low level bios clock tick
    accessibility, etc.

    The application still needs to have the same basic sort of
    functionality, but needs to work under
    W2K, WME, and XP.

    Any ideas, comments or suggestions would be very welcome. And since I
    am a complete novice in VC++
    I would also entertain re-writing the appliation in other visual
    languages such as C/VB/Java etc
    if you guys think these would be more appropriate.

    My apologies for the length and cross posting of this e-mail.

    Best regards.

    Naran Hirani

    Naran Hirani, Jul 5, 2003

  2. Naran Hirani wrote:
    > Hi fellow Netters,
    > I need to re-write a very old C/C++ application written in the days when
    > MS/PC-DOS was king.

    I ain't never hearda no C/C++. Bet that's real old, huh?

    > The reason for the re-write is that the application needs some new
    > functionality, but more
    > crucially, some existing functionality does not seem to work on the
    > current MS OSs.

    No, well. MS-DOS isn't what I'd call an operating system, but (say)
    Windows NT is getting there. You're prevented from most direct hardware
    access. You should look on MSDN for API functions to interface with
    ports and such. (I wanted to make a robot when I was a kid but you had
    to have a BBC Micro and I only had a ZX Spectrum. I hope you have better
    luck!)

    > The application works with a bespoke electrical gadget which emits a

    [snip. This is too much fun for clc++]

    > real time graph display, com port i/o API, low level bios clock tick
    > accessibility, etc.

    The thing is, can't do these things _in_ C++ as such, which is why
    they're off-topic. You can probably do them _from_ C++, by calling
    Windows API functions, but then you can do the same from C or Pascal.
    That's why this message might be on topic at a newsgroup about
    controlling hardware from Windows software.

    > The application still needs to have the same basic sort of
    > functionality, but needs to work under
    > W2K, WME, and XP.
    >
    > Any ideas, comments or suggestions would be very welcome. And since I
    > am a complete novice in VC++
    > I would also entertain re-writing the appliation in other visual
    > languages such as C/VB/Java etc
    > if you guys think these would be more appropriate.

    There are also newsgroups about computer programming in general.

    > My apologies for the length and cross posting of this e-mail.

    You didn't cross post. Perhaps you multi posted, but how would I know?

    > Best regards.
    >
    > Naran Hirani

    Good luck,
    Buster Copley

    Buster Copley, Jul 6, 2003

  3. Naran Hirani

    MiniDisc_2k2 Guest

    [snip]

    > I am a complete novice in visual C++ so I was wondering if you gurus
    > could advice me whether VC++ is upto
    > such a job or not? I guess the key elements of this application are:
    > real time graph display, com port i/o API, low level bios clock tick
    > accessibility, etc.

    This newsgroup is for standard C++. This is an IDE/compiler-specific
    question. Post this in microsoft.public.vc (if your browser supports it,
    here's a link: news://microsoft.public.vc)

    > Any ideas, comments or suggestions would be very welcome. And since I
    > am a complete novice in VC++
    > I would also entertain re-writing the appliation in other visual
    > languages such as C/VB/Java etc
    > if you guys think these would be more appropriate.

    This newsgroup is for C++ only. All of the people here would (IMHO) say C++
    is the best, but I would recommend finding some newsgroup which talks about
    languages in general (if that exists)

    --
    MiniDisc_2k2
    To reply, replace nospam.com with cox dot net.

    MiniDisc_2k2, Jul 6, 2003
  4. Naran Hirani

    Guest

    Naran Hirani <> wrote in message news:<be7gq7$1pc$>...
    [snip]
    > Any ideas, comments or suggestions would be very welcome.

    My suggestion is you try this in a news group where it is on-topic.
    Something with microsoft of DOS or VC in the name might be a start.
    Socks

    , Jul 6, 2003
  5. Naran Hirani

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT, link, redir] VC++ capabilities and advice...

    > Hi fellow Netters,
    >
    > I need to re-write a very old C/C++ application written in the days when
    > MS/PC-DOS was king.
    > The reason for the re-write is that the application needs some new
    > functionality, but more
    > crucially, some existing functionality does not seem to work on the
    > current MS OSs.
    >
    > The application works with a bespoke electrical gadget which emits a
    > radio wave signal at a fixed frequency.
    > This gadget is mounted on a trolley, and when switched on sends radio
    > waves back to a receiver attached
    > to a pc via its com port. As the trolley is moved forward, the receiver
    > picks up the signals emitted from
    > the device on the trolley. The captured signals are read by the
    > application via the PCs com port.
    > The application then analyses these signals in real-time plotting a
    > graph based on the distribution of the
    > signals over time, measured using the PCs clock ticks etc. The data
    > collected in this way gets further
    > analysed off-line using fairly basic statistical techniques to calculate
    > variance, co-variance, average trolley
    > speed, etc.
    >
    > The application does not seem to be able to display this graph correctly
    > in real time on the more modern
    > OSs, e.g. W2K and WME. Hence the need for a complete re-write.
    >
    > I am a complete novice in visual C++ so I was wondering if you gurus
    > could advice me whether VC++ is upto
    > such a job or not? I guess the key elements of this application are:
    > real time graph display, com port i/o API, low level bios clock tick
    > accessibility, etc.
    >
    > The application still needs to have the same basic sort of
    > functionality, but needs to work under
    > W2K, WME, and XP.
    >
    > Any ideas, comments or suggestions would be very welcome. And since I
    > am a complete novice in VC++
    > I would also entertain re-writing the appliation in other visual
    > languages such as C/VB/Java etc
    > if you guys think these would be more appropriate.

    What you seem not to realize is that the above was not
    achieved solely with a 'language', but with API calls to
    an operating system (DOES), which are not a part of the
    language. If you want to make this application work on
    e.g. Windows platforms, you need to find the equivalent
    Windows API calls. These are documented in the VC++
    documentation, as well as at www.msdn.microsoft.com

    Since your query is about platform-specific issues,
    and this group discusses the platform-independent
    standard C++ language, it's not topical here.
    Try a Windows and/or VC++ group.

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Jul 6, 2003