VC++ or Java to support serial port driver?

Discussion in 'C++' started by dalewz, May 22, 2004.

  1. dalewz

    dalewz Guest

    Hi,

    Could sb kindly answer my following questions:

    Plan:
    I am trying to find a language to build a GUI to communicate with our
    device via serial port.

    Questions:
    1. which language (VC++ or Java) is the best?

    2. if VC++, which complier (VC.net or BCB 6) is the best? I hope they
    have a good serial port driver built in or I can find easily.

    3. any good training courses or books for recommended solution?

    Thank a lot. -Dale

    dalewz, May 22, 2004

  2. dalewz

    Jorge Rivera Guest

    [OT] Re: VC++ or Java to support serial port driver?

    Given the scope of your question, I suggest you go to a
    microsoft.public.* newsgroup and post your question. This is Off-topic
    here.

    > Questions:
    > 1. which language (VC++ or Java) is the best?

    Depends... BTW, this is a C++ newsgroup, I think most of us will tell
    you C++ is the best language for most applications because we happen to
    like C++.

    GUI toolkits are not part of the C++ standard.

    BTW, VC++ is not a languagge. It is an IDE for C++ development in Windows.

    > 2. if VC++, which complier (VC.net or BCB 6) is the best? I hope they
    > have a good serial port driver built in or I can find easily.

    VC++ is the name of the compiler. I have no experience with Borland. I
    think neither one of thems have driver development support. You need
    DDK (Driver Development Kit) from Microsoft.

    Out of the Visual Studio compilers, I personally prefer VS.NET 2003.

    Jorge Rivera, May 22, 2004

  3. dalewz

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    dalewz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Could sb kindly answer my following questions:
    >
    > Plan:
    > I am trying to find a language to build a GUI to communicate with our
    > device via serial port.

    Um... No. A GUI is a Graphical User Interface. It interfaces with
    Users. Graphically. Serial ports do not directly display graphics (at
    least not any I've seen), and very few users stick their fingers in and
    interface with the ports directly.

    Here's what I think you want: An application communicating with users
    through a graphical interface, and with some device via a serial port.
    These are two, separate interfaces, and I recommend that you avoid
    coupling them more than necessary. One popular approach is to use two,
    complementary languages for this sort of application, and let them
    communicate through widely platform-specific (but widely supported)
    channels, e.g. bidirectional pipes. C is a popular choice for the
    device-level code.

    > Questions:
    > 1. which language (VC++ or Java) is the best?

    VC++ isn't a language, it's Microsoft's implementation of a compiler and
    IDE for the C++ programming language. You don't have to use VC++ to use
    C++. In your position, my first choice probably would be to use a less
    OS-specific C++ compiler, my second choice would be Java, and my third
    choice would be a recent (not 6.0) version of VC++.

    > 2. if VC++, which complier (VC.net or BCB 6) is the best? I hope they
    > have a good serial port driver built in or I can find easily.

    Not a clue. Try a microsoft-specific news group.

    > 3. any good training courses or books for recommended solution?

    To which problem?

    Jeff Schwab, May 22, 2004
  4. dalewz

    dalewz Guest

    Hi Jeff,

    Thank you for your reply. I heard that there are many 3rd party
    applications to support serial port communications. I guess I just
    need to find a good one.

    I just post a new messege to ask if C# can run on any machine? If so,
    C# would be a better tool for my application.

    Best, -Dale

    dalewz, May 22, 2004
  5. dalewz

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    (dalewz) wrote in message news:<>...

    [ ... ]

    > I am trying to find a language to build a GUI to communicate with our
    > device via serial port.

    Okay -- you should be aware, however, that nearly everything involved
    with both GUI and serial port development is non-portable and won't be
    possible using strictly standrad C++ (or probably Java either).

    > Questions:
    > 1. which language (VC++ or Java) is the best?

    That's really unanswerable. Given that you're posting in
    comp.lang.c++, it's fair to guess that most people here use C++ fairly
    regularly, probably in many cases because they like it, think highly
    of it, etc. If you ask the same in a Java-oriented newsgroup, you're
    likely to encounter people who like, use, think highly of, etc., Java.

    In both cases, the answers as to which is better are fairly obvious,
    predictable and (mostly) meaningless.

    > 2. if VC++, which complier (VC.net or BCB 6) is the best? I hope they
    > have a good serial port driver built in or I can find easily.

    VC++ is a compiler that implements (more or less) the C++ language.
    BCB 6 is another copmiler that implements (again, more or less) the
    C++ language. As far as the serial port driver goes, that's properly
    the domain of the OS. You're apparently planning to program on
    Windows, and Windows does have a serial port driver, much like most
    others -- you open the serial port as a file, and read from it, write
    to it, etc., somewhat like a file on a disk or anything else.

    > 3. any good training courses or books for recommended solution?

    That depends heavily on your past experience and exactly what you want
    to learn -- if you want to learn the bare minimum to complete this
    specific job you'll want to learn different things than if you really
    want to learn to program, and this just happens to be one of the first
    things you're going to do along the way.
    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, May 23, 2004