Verisign signed app throws "No Valid Certificate" error on 5310 phoneduring installation

venu

Hi,

I am so desperate about getting a solution for our head eating
problem.

The problem is that our J2ME application (MIDP2.0) is signed by
Verisign and we have all the items related to the certificate in
place.

We tested the application on several phones...working fine.

But on Nokia 5310 (S40 5th edition), when i try to download the
application and install it, it throws an error "No Valid Certificate".
But the application is signed by Verisign.

WE contacted Verisign people regarding this issue but they did not
have any such info related to 5310..they were telling, the signed app
should work on all devices..

Please help..

Andreas Leitgeb

venu said:
We tested the application on several phones...working fine.
But on Nokia 5310 (S40 5th edition), when i try to download the
application and install it, it throws an error "No Valid Certificate".
But the application is signed by Verisign.

Have you tried more phones of that particular model?
From your description, it looks like either the particular handset
was broken (or specially branded to be locked for all but some
special brander's certicificate), or it might also be a bug in that
phone's firmware.

I saw, you already posted it to an Nokia forum as well - good thing so.

Roedy Green

But on Nokia 5310 (S40 5th edition), when i try to download the
application and install it, it throws an error "No Valid Certificate".
But the application is signed by Verisign.

certificates are usually only valid for a year or two. The author
needs to buy a fresh cert, resign the app and rerelease each year.

So the first thing to do is look for an update to your program.

Dag Sunde

Roedy Green said:
certificates are usually only valid for a year or two. The author
needs to buy a fresh cert, resign the app and rerelease each year.

So the first thing to do is look for an update to your program.

I read the OP as he is developing and testing the program, and
that his own code signing certificate is rejected on the 5310...?

Roedy Green

I read the OP as he is developing and testing the program, and
that his own code signing certificate is rejected on the 5310...?

Check the expiry date of the code signing cert. There may be some way
to load root certs. There is in browsers. Every once in a while there
is a screw up with missing root certs. Also there might be a way to
get a list of root certs. Then at least you can tell if it SHOULD
work.

There was a similar problem with Verisign and Netscape 4.79. Perhaps
learning about it might help you crack this one.
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/certificate.html#MATCHING

I have only done this stuff on the desktop.
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/certificate.html
might help get you started toward a solution.

venu

Check the expiry date of the code signing cert.  There may be some way
to load root certs. There is in browsers.  Every once in a while there
is a screw up with missing root certs.  Also there might be a way to
get a list of root certs.  Then at least you can tell if it SHOULD
work.

There was a similar problem with Verisign and Netscape 4.79.  Perhaps
learning about it might help you crack this one.http://mindprod.com/jgloss/certificate.html#MATCHING

I have only done this stuff on the desktop.http://mindprod.com/jgloss/certificate.html
might help get you started toward a solution.

Hi Andreas :

I have tried with 2 phones of the same model. But no use.
In the place of Verisign, if i use Geotrust , it is getting installed
on the device but paving way for another issue. Whenever my mobile
client contacts the server, it pops up an alert "This will involve
airtime charges..do u wish to continue ?".This behaviour will be there
if the appln is not signed.

Hi Roedy Green :

THe certificate is brand new.

Hi Dag Sunde :

This problem is noticed only on 5310.. it works well on all other
phones ..be it nokia or SonyEricsson.

Could the MIDP2.1 version of 5310 cause any problem ?

Lew

venu said:
I have tried with 2 phones of the same model. But no use.
In the place of Verisign, if i use Geotrust , it is getting installed
on the device but paving way for another issue. Whenever my mobile
client contacts the server, it pops up an alert "This will involve
airtime charges..do u wish to continue ?".This behaviour will be there
if the appln is not signed.

There is no way that that is the error message. Check again.