Verisign signed app throws "No Valid Certificate" error on 5310 phoneduring installation

Discussion in 'Java' started by venu, Jan 14, 2008.

  1. venu

    venu Guest

    Hi,

    I am so desperate about getting a solution for our head eating
    problem.

    The problem is that our J2ME application (MIDP2.0) is signed by
    Verisign and we have all the items related to the certificate in
    place.

    We tested the application on several phones...working fine.

    But on Nokia 5310 (S40 5th edition), when i try to download the
    application and install it, it throws an error "No Valid Certificate".
    But the application is signed by Verisign.

    WE contacted Verisign people regarding this issue but they did not
    have any such info related to 5310..they were telling, the signed app
    should work on all devices..

    Please help..

    venu, Jan 14, 2008

  2. Re: Verisign signed app throws "No Valid Certificate" error on 5310 phone during installation

    venu <> wrote:
    > We tested the application on several phones...working fine.
    > But on Nokia 5310 (S40 5th edition), when i try to download the
    > application and install it, it throws an error "No Valid Certificate".
    > But the application is signed by Verisign.

    Have you tried more phones of that particular model?
    From your description, it looks like either the particular handset
    was broken (or specially branded to be locked for all but some
    special brander's certicificate), or it might also be a bug in that
    phone's firmware.

    I saw, you already posted it to an Nokia forum as well - good thing so.

    Andreas Leitgeb, Jan 14, 2008

  3. venu

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: Verisign signed app throws "No Valid Certificate" error on 5310 phone during installation

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 02:05:18 -0800 (PST), venu <>

    >But on Nokia 5310 (S40 5th edition), when i try to download the
    >application and install it, it throws an error "No Valid Certificate".
    >But the application is signed by Verisign.

    certificates are usually only valid for a year or two. The author
    needs to buy a fresh cert, resign the app and rerelease each year.

    So the first thing to do is look for an update to your program.
    --
    Roedy Green, Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary, http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Jan 14, 2008
  4. venu

    Dag Sunde Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 02:05:18 -0800 (PST), venu <>
    >

    >>But on Nokia 5310 (S40 5th edition), when i try to download the
    >>application and install it, it throws an error "No Valid Certificate".
    >>But the application is signed by Verisign.

    > certificates are usually only valid for a year or two. The author
    > needs to buy a fresh cert, resign the app and rerelease each year.
    >
    > So the first thing to do is look for an update to your program.

    I read the OP as he is developing and testing the program, and
    that his own code signing certificate is rejected on the 5310...?

    --
    Dag.

    Dag Sunde, Jan 14, 2008
  5. venu

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: Verisign signed app throws "No Valid Certificate" error on 5310 phone during installation

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:47:41 +0100, "Dag Sunde" <>

    >I read the OP as he is developing and testing the program, and
    >that his own code signing certificate is rejected on the 5310...?

    Check the expiry date of the code signing cert. There may be some way
    to load root certs. There is in browsers. Every once in a while there
    is a screw up with missing root certs. Also there might be a way to
    get a list of root certs. Then at least you can tell if it SHOULD
    work.

    There was a similar problem with Verisign and Netscape 4.79. Perhaps
    learning about it might help you crack this one.
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/certificate.html#MATCHING

    I have only done this stuff on the desktop.
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/certificate.html
    might help get you started toward a solution.

    Roedy Green, Jan 14, 2008
  6. venu

    venu Guest

    Re: Verisign signed app throws "No Valid Certificate" error on 5310phone during installation

    On Jan 14, 10:06 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:47:41 +0100, "Dag Sunde" <>
    >

    > >I read the OP as he is developing and testing the program, and
    > >that his own code signing certificate is rejected on the 5310...?

    > Check the expiry date of the code signing cert.  There may be some way
    > to load root certs. There is in browsers.  Every once in a while there
    > is a screw up with missing root certs.  Also there might be a way to
    > get a list of root certs.  Then at least you can tell if it SHOULD
    > work.
    >
    > There was a similar problem with Verisign and Netscape 4.79.  Perhaps
    > learning about it might help you crack this one.http://mindprod.com/jgloss/certificate.html#MATCHING
    >
    > I have only done this stuff on the desktop.http://mindprod.com/jgloss/certificate.html
    > might help get you started toward a solution.
    > --
    > Roedy Green, Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossary,http://mindprod.com

    Hi Andreas :

    I have tried with 2 phones of the same model. But no use.
    In the place of Verisign, if i use Geotrust , it is getting installed
    on the device but paving way for another issue. Whenever my mobile
    client contacts the server, it pops up an alert "This will involve
    airtime charges..do u wish to continue ?".This behaviour will be there
    if the appln is not signed.

    Hi Roedy Green :

    THe certificate is brand new.

    Hi Dag Sunde :

    This problem is noticed only on 5310.. it works well on all other
    phones ..be it nokia or SonyEricsson.

    Could the MIDP2.1 version of 5310 cause any problem ?

    venu, Jan 16, 2008
  7. venu

    Lew Guest

    venu wrote:
    > I have tried with 2 phones of the same model. But no use.
    > In the place of Verisign, if i use Geotrust , it is getting installed
    > on the device but paving way for another issue. Whenever my mobile
    > client contacts the server, it pops up an alert "This will involve
    > airtime charges..do u wish to continue ?".This behaviour will be there
    > if the appln is not signed.

    There is no way that that is the error message. Check again.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Jan 16, 2008