    considering using, distributed version control like GIT or Mercurial? If
    so, would you care to share your experiences?

    Thanks, Symon.
    Symon, Mar 23, 2010

  2. Symon

    Philippe Guest

    On Mar 23, 10:41 pm, Symon <> wrote:
    > I am interested in what people use for version control of VHDL projects
    > that are run across geographically diverse teams.

    Hi Symon,

    We conducted a survey among VHDL designers over the last few months.
    Here are some figures.

    SVN: 62%
    GIT or Mercurial: 25%
    CVS 18%
    Clearcase: < 3%

    These add up to more than 100% because we allowed people to select
    multiple alternatives. There are no guarantees that our population is
    statistically representative, so add a pinch of salt. More recently I
    heard of a person that works with MS Visual CodeSafe, but I guess that
    would hardly show up in the statistics.

    Still, I think it is safe to conclude that SVN is the number one
    version control system for digital hardware design.

    I hope this helps

    --
    Philippe Faes
    http://www.sigasi.com
    Philippe, Mar 24, 2010

  3. Symon

    M. Norton Guest

    On Mar 23, 4:41 pm, Symon <> wrote:
    > I am interested in what people use for version control of VHDL projects
    > that are run across geographically diverse teams. Currently I use

    We have development taking place at our facility and then at a sister
    facility three hours away. We've been using CVS though there seems to
    be strong support to switching to GIT and there have been some steps
    taken to migrate new projects to that version control platform. My
    prior workplace was all SVN and the company prior to THAT used
    SourceSafe.

    I think as long as everyone agrees on the system, you can pretty much
    get anything to work. GIT seems to be the new hot thing.

    Mark Norton
    M. Norton, Mar 24, 2010
  4. Symon

    rickman Guest

    On Mar 23, 5:41 pm, Symon <> wrote:
    > Guys,
    >
    > I am interested in what people use for version control of VHDL projects
    > that are run across geographically diverse teams. Currently I use
    > Subversion over a VPN, with windows PC clients connecting using
    > TortoiseSVN, which works pretty well. I wonder if anyone is using, or
    > considering using, distributed version control like GIT or Mercurial? If
    > so, would you care to share your experiences?
    >
    > Thanks, Symon.

    I wouldn't say I am involved in development across geographically
    diverse areas, but I am using SVN and I'm not sure what to make of
    it. Reading the manual it seems to be saying that if I want to set a
    baseline with a tag or if I want to create a branch, I can copy
    everything to a separate folder. Do I need a version control system
    for that??? It seems to work in ways that are very different from
    what I am used to (very old experience with CVS and clearcase).

    Am I just out of the loop or do I just need to work with it more to
    get the "feel" of SVN/Tortoise?

    Rick
    rickman, Mar 24, 2010
  5. Symon

    Andrew FPGA Guest

    Hi Symon,
    The big win with Git/Mecurial is their branching and merging model.

    Yes they are distributed, and that helps me when I'm working from home
    or on the road and I don't have an internet connection or the VPN goes
    down. I can still keep checking in, branching, merging etc. I just
    cant push or pull with the remote(server). We use git, we have 10 or
    so RTL developers distributed across 3 sites in both hemispheres.
    VHDL, Verilog and SV on a windows(sadly) environment. Git works pretty
    well under cygwin (some line ending problems from time to time...).

    There is a learning curve with git, and until you embrace the command
    line flow and branching/merging model, life is tough. Especially for
    any hardware guys who love their GUIs. But once over the learning
    curve, SVN via toroise would be a painful step backwards for me.

    Compared to Git/Mercurial, the branching and merging model in CVS/SVN
    is broken. Branching is always easy of course - just take a copy.
    Merging is where all the pain is. Unlike SVN/CVS, git automatically
    searches for and finds the common ancestor for a merge. That is a
    manual, and error prone process in SVN/CVS. This makes merging in git
    a breeze relative to SVN/CVS.

    Branching is powerful because it allows you to manage multiple streams
    of development concurrently. It is a key enabler for concurrent
    development in my view. Multiple RTL developers on the same project
    can each work concurrently on separate feature branches without
    interfering with each other, and keep a clean/known good main line.
    Merge features and bug fixes onto the main line, as they are ready.

    Even thought git is distributed, we use a pesudo client/server model.
    We have git servers(remotes) at each geographical site, one of which
    is a master the others sync to. The local client is actually a git
    repository in itself; it pushes to the master server, and pulls from
    local server. Commits, diffs, merges, branches, etc all happen in the
    local client repo, and don't require a connection to the server.

    Feel free to ask more specific questions.
    Cheers
    Andrew

    Andrew FPGA, Mar 25, 2010
  6. rickman <> writes:

    > Reading the manual it seems to be saying that if I want to set a
    > baseline with a tag or if I want to create a branch, I can copy
    > everything to a separate folder.

    That would be SVN's own copy, not a file system copy. The duplication
    happens inside the database (repository).

    SVN doesn't distinguish tags from branches. Both are copies (see
    above) of a particular revision. If you check out this copy, modify
    it, and check it back in, you have a branch. If you don't touch the
    copy, it is a tag.

    HTH
    Marcus

    --
    note that "property" can also be used as syntactic sugar to reference
    a property, breaking the clean design of verilog; [...]

    (seen on http://www.veripool.com/verilog-mode_news.html)
    Marcus Harnisch, Mar 25, 2010
  7. Symon

    rickman Guest

    On Mar 25, 7:27 am, Marcus Harnisch <> wrote:
    > rickman <> writes:
    > > Reading the manual it seems to be saying that if I want to set a
    > > baseline with a tag or if I want to create a branch, I can copy
    > > everything to a separate folder.

    > That would be SVN's own copy, not a file system copy. The duplication
    > happens inside the database (repository).

    I guess I don't understand this. How do I make a copy in a new
    directory that is a "SVN copy"?

    > SVN doesn't distinguish tags from branches. Both are copies (see
    > above) of a particular revision. If you check out this copy, modify
    > it, and check it back in, you have a branch. If you don't touch the
    > copy, it is a tag.

    Yeah, I understand the fact that a branch is the same as a tag. I
    just don't see how to create either and have them accessible in a way
    that is at all similar to what I am used to with conventional VC.

    Rick
    rickman, Mar 25, 2010
  8. rickman <> writes:

    > On Mar 25, 7:27 am, Marcus Harnisch <> wrote:
    >> rickman <> writes:
    >> > Reading the manual it seems to be saying that if I want to set a
    >> > baseline with a tag or if I want to create a branch, I can copy
    >> > everything to a separate folder.

    >> That would be SVN's own copy, not a file system copy. The duplication
    >> happens inside the database (repository).

    > I guess I don't understand this. How do I make a copy in a new
    > directory that is a "SVN copy"?

    The repository presents itself to the users as some kind of versioned
    filesystem. "svn copy" causes Subversion to create a copy of a
    specified state of this file system (default: head revision) or a
    subtree of it[1]. Since at this point there are no differences between
    original and copy, yet, this is a zero (almost) overhead operation.

    It is common practice to create the repository with three (initially
    empty) top-level directories "trunk", "tags", "branches". To
    Subversion these names have no special meaning!

    To create a workspace, check out "trunk", not the repository
    itself. Add, modify, check in, repeat. When you reach a certain
    milestone and want to tag it. Just copy everything under "trunk" into
    "tags"[2]:

    $ svn copy <path to repo>/trunk <path to repo>/tags/my-first-tag

    This copy exists only in the repository

    To create a branch, you'd do similar:

    $ svn copy <path to repo>/trunk <path to repo>/branches/my-first-branch
    $ svn checkout <path to repo>/branches/my-first-branch ./my-first-branch

    Check the Fine Manual for more examples.

    Regards
    Marcus

    Footnotes:
    [1] Note that the possibility to work on subtrees of a project is a
    significant difference to Mercurial/Git.

    [2] Don't blame me for wrong syntax, none of these commands have been
    tested.

    Marcus Harnisch, Mar 25, 2010
  9. Symon

    Symon Guest

    On 3/25/2010 4:01 AM, Andrew FPGA wrote:

    > Even thought git is distributed, we use a pesudo client/server model.
    > We have git servers(remotes) at each geographical site, one of which
    > is a master the others sync to. The local client is actually a git
    > repository in itself; it pushes to the master server, and pulls from
    > local server. Commits, diffs, merges, branches, etc all happen in the
    > local client repo, and don't require a connection to the server.
    >
    > Feel free to ask more specific questions.
    > Cheers
    > Andrew

    Hi Andrew,

    Thank you very much for your post, it encouraged me to do more research
    on git.

    I'm interested in the specifics of setting up the infrastructure
    required for this. With Subversion, it's pretty simple, there's a
    central server somewhere, and all the clients, where ever they are,
    connect to it.

    As for git, I understand it's distributed, meaning that each user has a
    complete repository on their own workstation. It seems clients push and
    pull data from each other.

    One question is, how do all the clients pull data from all the others?
    Some (all?) clients are behind firewalls? You seem to say in the
    implementation you use, pushes happen to a central server, just like
    SVN, but pulls happen from a local server. Is this local server pushed
    to by the central server or does the local server pull from the central
    server? Or something else?

    My second question is, is there necessarily a master copy stored
    anywhere? I'm not exactly even sure what this means in git-world, so
    excuse me if this is dumb. I think I'm confused as to how clients know
    whether their personal repositories are up-to-date with respect to other
    clients.

    Thanks again for your help, Syms.
    Symon, Mar 29, 2010
  10. Symon

    Andy Peters Guest

    On Mar 24, 4:10 pm, rickman <> wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 5:41 pm, Symon <> wrote:
    >
    > > Guys,

    > > I am interested in what people use for version control of VHDL projects
    > > that are run across geographically diverse teams. Currently I use
    > > Subversion over a VPN, with windows PC clients connecting using
    > > TortoiseSVN, which works pretty well. I wonder if anyone is using, or
    > > considering using, distributed version control like GIT or Mercurial? If
    > > so, would you care to share your experiences?

    > > Thanks, Symon.

    > I wouldn't say I am involved in development across geographically
    > diverse areas, but I am using SVN and I'm not sure what to make of
    > it.  Reading the manual it seems to be saying that if I want to set a
    > baseline with a tag or if I want to create a branch, I can copy
    > everything to a separate folder.  Do I need a version control system
    > for that???  It seems to work in ways that are very different from
    > what I am used to (very old experience with CVS and clearcase).

    See, when you create a branch or a tag, you do the copy in the
    repository, not on your working computer's local filesystem.

    > Am I just out of the loop or do I just need to work with it more to
    > get the "feel" of SVN/Tortoise?

    Tortoise REALLY helps.

    -a
    Andy Peters, Mar 29, 2010
  11. Symon

    Andy Peters Guest

    On Mar 25, 8:37 am, rickman <> wrote:
    > On Mar 25, 7:27 am, Marcus Harnisch <> wrote:
    >
    > > rickman <> writes:
    > > > Reading the manual it seems to be saying that if I want to set a
    > > > baseline with a tag or if I want to create a branch, I can copy
    > > > everything to a separate folder.

    > > That would be SVN's own copy, not a file system copy. The duplication
    > > happens inside the database (repository).

    > I guess I don't understand this.  How do I make a copy in a new
    > directory that is a "SVN copy"?

    You are making the copy in the repository.

    Andy Peters, Mar 29, 2010
  12. Symon

    KJ Guest

    On Mar 29, 6:15 pm, Andy Peters <> wrote:

    > See, when you create a branch or a tag, you do the copy in the
    > repository, not on your working computer's local filesystem.

    Be careful of 'tagging' things that use externals though...you'll
    likely be disappointed when you find out what 'cheap copy' really
    means.

    Kevin Jennings
    KJ, Mar 30, 2010
  13. Symon

    Bill Mills Guest

    On Mar 23, 2:41 pm, Symon <> wrote:
    > Guys,
    >
    > I am interested in what people use for version control of VHDL projects
    > that are run across geographically diverse teams. Currently I use
    > Subversion over a VPN, with windows PC clients connecting using
    > TortoiseSVN, which works pretty well. I wonder if anyone is using, or
    > considering using, distributed version control like GIT or Mercurial? If
    > so, would you care to share your experiences?
    >
    > Thanks, Symon.

    No experiences to offer myself. But Joel on Software recently posted
    this. The Mercurial tutorial, near the end, describes branch and
    merge using this distributed system.

    Bill Mills, Mar 31, 2010
  14. Symon

    Andy Peters Guest

    On Mar 29, 5:35 pm, KJ <> wrote:
    > On Mar 29, 6:15 pm, Andy Peters <> wrote:
    >

    > > See, when you create a branch or a tag, you do the copy in the
    > > repository, not on your working computer's local filesystem.

    > Be careful of 'tagging' things that use externals though...you'll
    > likely be disappointed when you find out what 'cheap copy' really
    > means.
    >
    > Kevin Jennings

    I think we've been through this before, and my advice still stands:

    If the externals you use are themselves tags, then a project that
    includes them will always give you exactly what you expect.

    -a
    Andy Peters, Apr 1, 2010
  15. Symon

    KJ Guest

    On Apr 1, 6:45 pm, Andy Peters <> wrote:

    > I think we've been through this before, and my advice still stands:

    We have...and my advice still stands also

    > If the externals you use are themselves tags, then a project that
    > includes them will always give you exactly what you expect.

    One thing that I expect from a version control system is a non-manual
    mechanism to be able to tag something so that when I come back days
    (weeks, months, years) later I can retrieve it exactly as it was back
    at the time that it was tagged...whether or not I chose to use
    externals in that project...whether or not those external things have
    also changed during that interval...and the big word in all of this is
    'non-manual'.

    Using SVN, the only way you can get this to happen is to manually
    assign specific revision levels to each and every external in the
    entire project (what you refer to as "externals you use are themselves
    tags"). Having to manually assign revision levels has the following
    consequences:
    - Additional work that can be performed incorrectly (i.e. less
    productive, possibly error prone)
    - With each and every code freeze that is to be archived, one needs to
    first check that each and every external does in fact still have the
    correct revision level assigned. Externals that aren't rev specified
    would have to be first tagged themselves (there's the extra work I
    talked about)
    - No way to check that a build from the 'head' revision is actually
    correct without deleting all those manually entered revision levels
    (kind of calls into question the integrity of the designs in the
    repository if nobody is actually snapshotting and validating the
    'latest/greatest' somewhat routinely)

    Bottom line, is that SVN does what it does, maybe you find it does
    what you'd like and don't see the above consequences as a burden...but
    it doesn't do what I would expect a version control tool to
    do...without heavy duty manual intervention ('heavy duty' that is when
    you practice code reuse and the reusable code is also under
    development). I'm not alone in that view, just like you're not alone
    in yours.

    Interestingly enough, it seems there might be movement afoot to
    address this limitation when version SVN 1.7.0 comes out based on the
    following thread...or maybe I'm just hoping...
    http://groups.google.com/group/tortoisesvn/browse_frm/thread/0337cb91d0eedef8?hl=en#

    Probably shouldn't beat the horse again on this group so I'll leave it
    at that and simply refer the interested reader to check out the
    discussion from last May where this got discussed quite a bit.
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...bversion Kevin Jennings VHDL#7ea2dc3837f5819d

    Kevin Jennings
    KJ, Apr 2, 2010
  16. Symon

    Symon Guest

    Dear Andrew,
    I know this is rude to email directly, but I don't suppose you would
    like to answer my usenet query on comp.lang.vhdl about git? I felt free,
    and your original reply was one of the most cogent usenet replies I've seen!
    Thanks. Symon.
    Symon, Apr 4, 2010
  17. Symon

    rickman Guest

    On Mar 29, 6:16 pm, Andy Peters <> wrote:
    > On Mar 25, 8:37 am, rickman <> wrote:

    > > > That would be SVN's own copy, not a file system copy. The duplication
    > > > happens inside the database (repository).

    > > I guess I don't understand this.  How do I make a copy in a new
    > > directory that is a "SVN copy"?

    > You are making the copy in the repository.

    Maybe I don't understand that. I am using SVN with Tortoise and I see
    the files in the regular directory tree using Windows Explorer. How
    do I make a copy just in the repository? Do I use a special command
    for that?

    There are a number of other things I am unclear about. I have tried
    looking at the docs, but they seemed to be explaining things that I
    wasn't confused about. Should I go back and read it again? I can't
    imagine this is really that hard. I expect I just have a mindset
    about some aspect of this that is making it hard for me.

    Rick
    rickman, Apr 5, 2010
  18. Symon

    Andy Peters Guest

    On Apr 5, 8:38 am, rickman <> wrote:
    > On Mar 29, 6:16 pm, Andy Peters <> wrote:

    > > > I guess I don't understand this.  How do I make a copy in a new
    > > > directory that is a "SVN copy"?

    > > You are making the copy in the repository.

    > Maybe I don't understand that.  I am using SVN with Tortoise and I see
    > the files in the regular directory tree using Windows Explorer.  How
    > do I make a copy just in the repository?  Do I use a special command
    > for that?

    Yes, there's a special command, svn copy.

    If you wish to make a branch from your __checked-out working copy__,
    right click on its icon, choose "TortoiseSvn" then "Branch/Tag." A
    dialog box titled "Copy (Branch/Tag)" will pop up.

    You'll see:

    From WC at URL:
    svn://eng-andrew/fpga/projects/CameraSim/trunk (not editable)

    and

    To URL:
    svn://eng-andrew/fpga/projects/CameraSim/trunk (list box)

    (note that they are the same, to start). This is followed by:

    Create Copy in the repository from:
    ( ) HEAD revision in the repository
    (*) Specific revision in the repository [2272] ...
    ( ) Working copy

    followed by an entry box for the log message.

    Now remember: In this example, you want to use your checked-out
    working copy as the starting point for a new branch. (This working
    copy may have edits to any of the files -- this is fine!) First,
    select the "Working copy" radio button. This means that the new branch
    will use the working copy as its base (and all history is retained).
    Then, next to the "To URL:" combo box is a button with ellipsis. Click
    it, and the repository browser opens to the project's location in the
    repo. In the left-hand pane is the repo tree. If you've used the
    standard trunk/branches/tags format, click on the project name in the
    left-hand pane, and click the "+" to expand the tree. Click "branches"
    then click "OK" and you're back to the dialog. Click in the "To URL"
    combo box and put your cursor after "branches" in the URL. Finish the
    URL by giving it a useful branch name:

    svn://eng-andrew/fpga/projects/CameraSim/branches/testbranch

    Enter a useful log message ("Creating branch to test X, Y, Z" or
    whatever). Make sure you CHECK the box labeled "Switch working copy to
    new branch/tag" then click "OK." Voila, you've now created a branch
    and your working copy is now of that branch, not the trunk.

    > There are a number of other things I am unclear about.  I have tried
    > looking at the docs, but they seemed to be explaining things that I
    > wasn't confused about.  Should I go back and read it again?  I can't
    > imagine this is really that hard.  I expect I just have a mindset
    > about some aspect of this that is making it hard for me.

    it's really not that hard but it can be somewhat non-obvious.

    =-a
    Andy Peters, Apr 5, 2010
  19. Symon

    rickman Guest

    On Apr 5, 2:48 pm, Andy Peters <> wrote:
    > On Apr 5, 8:38 am, rickman <> wrote:

    > > > You are making the copy in the repository.

    > > Maybe I don't understand that.  I am using SVN with Tortoise and I see
    > > the files in the regular directory tree using Windows Explorer.  How
    > > do I make a copy just in the repository?  Do I use a special command
    > > for that?

    > Yes, there's a special command, svn copy.
    >
    > If you wish to make a branch from your __checked-out working copy__,
    > right click on its icon, choose "TortoiseSvn" then "Branch/Tag." A
    > dialog box titled "Copy (Branch/Tag)" will pop up.
    >
    > You'll see:
    >
    > From WC at URL:
    > svn://eng-andrew/fpga/projects/CameraSim/trunk (not editable)
    >
    > and
    >
    > To URL:
    > svn://eng-andrew/fpga/projects/CameraSim/trunk (list box)
    >
    > (note that they are the same, to start). This is followed by:
    >
    > Create Copy in the repository from:
    > ( ) HEAD revision in the repository
    > (*) Specific revision in the repository   [2272] ...
    > ( ) Working copy
    >
    > followed by an entry box for the log message.
    >
    > Now remember: In this example, you want to use your checked-out
    > working copy as the starting point for a new branch. (This working
    > copy may have edits to any of the files -- this is fine!) First,
    > select the "Working copy" radio button. This means that the new branch
    > will use the working copy as its base (and all history is retained).
    > Then, next to the "To URL:" combo box is a button with ellipsis. Click
    > it, and the repository browser opens to the project's location in the
    > repo. In the left-hand pane is the repo tree. If you've used the
    > standard trunk/branches/tags format, click on the project name in the
    > left-hand pane, and click the "+" to expand the tree. Click "branches"
    > then click "OK" and  you're back to the dialog. Click in the "To URL"
    > combo box and put your cursor after "branches" in the URL. Finish the
    > URL by giving it a useful branch name:
    >
    > svn://eng-andrew/fpga/projects/CameraSim/branches/testbranch
    >
    > Enter a useful log message ("Creating branch to test X, Y, Z" or
    > whatever). Make sure you CHECK the box labeled "Switch working copy to
    > new branch/tag" then click "OK." Voila, you've now created a branch
    > and your working copy is now of that branch, not the trunk.
    >
    > > There are a number of other things I am unclear about.  I have tried
    > > looking at the docs, but they seemed to be explaining things that I
    > > wasn't confused about.  Should I go back and read it again?  I can't
    > > imagine this is really that hard.  I expect I just have a mindset
    > > about some aspect of this that is making it hard for me.

    > it's really not that hard but it can be somewhat non-obvious.
    >
    > =-a

    Hey, thanks a lot. I didn't see the menu item in Tortoise. I guess
    that makes it easier... :^s The explanation helps a lot too.

    Rick
    rickman, Apr 6, 2010
  20. Symon

    Andrew FPGA Guest

    Apologies for the slow reply - wish I had a way of automatically being
    told when someone replies to a message I've posted on a thread? I use
    google groups....

    > One question is, how do all the clients pull data from all the others?
    > Some (all?) clients are behind firewalls? You seem to say in the
    > implementation you use, pushes happen to a central server, just like
    > SVN, but pulls happen from a local server. Is this local server pushed
    > to by the central server or does the local server pull from the central
    > server? Or something else?

    Ok, so for our company, all clients must be on the VPN before can pull/
    push with the servers. I don't know the details but the VPN goes
    through the various firewalls somehow - standard IT/networking thingy.
    Plenty of open source projects use git so they must deal with the
    firewall thing somehow.

    So for our source control policy, clients don't pull/push from/to each
    other. Only with the servers. Here is an example transcript when I
    type "git update". This is an in-house script that will get my client
    repo up-to-date with the master server.

    $ git update
    Full Fetch:
    $ git config remote.origin.url git://<local server name>
    $ git fetch origin
    $ git config remote.origin.url git://<remote server name>
    $ git fetch origin --tags
    $ git fetch origin
    Local branch [master] is tracking [origin/master].
    Merging changes into current branch:
    $ git merge origin/master
    Already up-to-date.
    Remove stale tracking branches:
    $ git remote prune origin

    So you will see it fetches from the local server first. Thats fast/
    cheap. Then it fetches from the master server which is at remote
    geographical location for our site.

    I don't know how the local/remote servers stay in sync. I presume the
    local server pulls from the remote/master periodically.

    When I push I push to the remote(master) server.

    > My second question is, is there necessarily a master copy stored
    > anywhere? I'm not exactly even sure what this means in git-world, so
    > excuse me if this is dumb. I think I'm confused as to how clients know
    > whether their personal repositories are up-to-date with respect to other
    > clients.

    So for our company, I guess the master server, is well, the master
    server. And all these servers must be backed up as per normal IT
    stuff.

    To find out if my client repo is out of date, I go git fetch. Then I
    can go git diff origin/master master to see what the differences are
    if any. Read up on git branches and tracking branches.

    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Andrew
    Andrew FPGA, Apr 13, 2010