    This is mentally keeping me from upgrading to 2.6 .

    I'm curious, but are there still some who prefer Python 2.5?
    I don't mind constructive criticsm.

    Adam E, Nov 29, 2008

  2. On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 12:32 -0800, Adam E wrote:
    > I have read in my copy of Programming Python that all strings will be
    > Unicode and there will be a byte type.
    >
    > This is mentally keeping me from upgrading to 2.6 .

    Care to explain?

    Actually what you describe is a change change takes place in Python 3.0.
    Basically Python is doing away with doing away with 2 different string
    types (str and unicode) and combining them into one. And streams which
    are truly byte streams will have their own type called (bytes).
    Mentally that makes more sense to me as it becomes a headache having to
    work/convert back and forth between string types and unicode types.

    Python 2.6 introduces "bytes" but they are basically strings that allow
    forward-compatibility with Python 3. One of Python 2.6's main purposes
    is to make it easier to transition code from 2.x to 3.0.

    > I'm curious, but are there still some who prefer Python 2.5?
    > I don't mind constructive criticsm.
    > --

    I'm sure there are, or at least were, but they've had plenty of time to
    voice their concerns up to now.

    Albert Hopkins, Nov 29, 2008