versioning system ?

Paul Guermonprez

hello,

what's the system you're using ?

i need a network system, command line,
unix/linux support, to work with JAVA ...
(i don't use an IDE but ant+vim) opensource.

i use CVS but i'd like something more
user-friendly if possible.

thanks for your help, paul.

Daniel Dyer

hello,

what's the system you're using ?

i need a network system, command line,
unix/linux support, to work with JAVA ...
(i don't use an IDE but ant+vim) opensource.

i use CVS but i'd like something more
user-friendly if possible.

If you want free then CVS is the de facto standard, but it's not a very
elegant system. You could try another CVS client, though they all tend to
be GUIs (SmartCVS - http://www.smartcvs.com - is a good one). You may also
want to investigate CVS support in Ant.

The alternative to CVS is Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org), not
sure how stable it is at present, but it fixes many of the faults found
with CVS.

Paul Guermonprez

Robert said:
Paul Guermonprez ([email protected]) wrote:
: what's the system you're using ?
subversion and cvs
ok.

: i use CVS but i'd like something more
: user-friendly if possible.

define user-friendly!

for me a NON user-friendly software is a software able
to give you the right result,
but the user is not able to ask the software how to do it.

it is not CVS's fault, CVS can do everything,
it's my fault. i'm just evaluating if i really have
to understand CVS or if there's something else
i could use instead.

perhaps it's because versioning is a complicated task,
so perhaps there's no easy way to handle it.

Drew Volpe

Last time we met said:
hello,

what's the system you're using ?

i need a network system, command line,
unix/linux support, to work with JAVA ...
(i don't use an IDE but ant+vim) opensource.

do you need the code or you just want it to be free ?

Perforce is quite good and is free for personal use (2 users), and,
iirc, they also give out licenses to open source projects for free.

dv

The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.

Drew Volpe, mylastname at hcs o harvard o edu

Harald Hein

Paul Guermonprez said:
it is not CVS's fault, CVS can do everything,
it's my fault. i'm just evaluating if i really have
to understand CVS or if there's something else
i could use instead.

If you can't be bothered to read manuals, consider using RCS. CVS uses
the same file format than RCS, so you can easily migrate later.
Originally CVS was build on top of RCS, because RCS does not support
concurrent editing of the same file.

You need to learn three commands for RCS:

ci - check-in
co - check-out

and

rcs - for some administration tasks (like adding comments to a version
later)

If this is still too much for you, there are many GUI front-ends for
CVS and RCS, e.g. wincvs for CVS on Windows. http://www.wincvs.org/ has
this and front-ends for other platforms, too.

There are also many editor integrations. Usually they do an automatic
check-out (RCS) if you start editing, but leave check-in to the user.

CVS/RCS are simple compared to some professional (read expensive
commercial) version control system. I don't think you can get something
much simpler. Oh, and stay away from SourceSave. The version control
system that forgets version and files.

HH

Mikkel Heisterberg

I had the same reservations you have when I first came to CVS but must
admit that any time but into CVS is well spent. Reading the introduction
document is a small price to pay for that kind of power. I don't want to
comparison - just consider backup).

I must admit that even though the command line interface has its place,
I do almost all of my interaction through Eclipse so I do not work too
much with the command options.

Just a thought...

lekkim

Keeger

do you need the code or you just want it to be free ?

Perforce is quite good and is free for personal use (2 users), and,
iirc, they also give out licenses to open source projects for free.

dv

Ya, they do. I'm using perforce for an opensource project at the
moment. They're pretty cool, and support is easy to access.

BitKeeper also supports open-source free licenses.

However, for "dumbed down" source control, I think the best is Visual
Source Safe, which doesn't run on Linux, and is furthermore a pretty
crappy Version system in general, but it is the easiest to jump in and
use with very little reading of the manual.

If you're serious about version control, read a few whitepages on it,
and look at Perforce, CVS, and BitKeeper. (www.perforce.com
www.cvshome.org www.bitkeeper.com ) You'll find CVS is ok for 1-2
man dev teams, but the longer you work on a project in it, the more
you'll find it cumbersome. I've yet to use bitKeeper, but Linus
Torvalde used it, so I'll assume it's ok :)

Mike Schilling

Paul Guermonprez said:
hello,

what's the system you're using ?

i need a network system, command line,
unix/linux support, to work with JAVA ...
(i don't use an IDE but ant+vim) opensource.

i use CVS but i'd like something more
user-friendly if possible.

More user-friendly than CVS is not exactly a high bar.

If you're flexible about the open source requirment, I'd suggest Perforce:
very fast, quite intuitive once you grasp their basic concepts, both
command-line and GUI interfaces, and supports a wide variety of platforms.

Jon A. Cruz

Roedy said:
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cvs.html
for your alternatives. WinCvs is one.

It's ok, but I have people who use it who hit problems and limitations
all the time.

TkCVS is another alternative.

http://www.twobarleycorns.net/tkcvs.html

On Windows you'll have to get Tcl/TK installed, but that's not too hard.
Plus you get quite a lot of ease and functionality from TkCVS, so I
think it's quite worth it.

(Oh, I'm a command-line person myself, but for most CVS work I use TkCVS).