    i use CVS but i'd like something more
    user-friendly if possible.

    thanks for your help, paul.

    Paul Guermonprez, Jul 1, 2003

  2. Paul Guermonprez

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:23:53 +0200, Paul Guermonprez <>
    wrote:

    > hello,
    >

    > what's the system you're using ?
    >
    > i need a network system, command line,
    > unix/linux support, to work with JAVA ...
    > (i don't use an IDE but ant+vim) opensource.
    >
    > i use CVS but i'd like something more
    > user-friendly if possible.

    If you want free then CVS is the de facto standard, but it's not a very
    elegant system. You could try another CVS client, though they all tend to
    be GUIs (SmartCVS - http://www.smartcvs.com - is a good one). You may also
    want to investigate CVS support in Ant.

    The alternative to CVS is Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org), not
    sure how stable it is at present, but it fixes many of the faults found
    with CVS.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    Empathy Software (http://www.empathysoftware.com)

    Daniel Dyer, Jul 1, 2003

  3. Robert Olofsson wrote:
    > Paul Guermonprez () wrote:
    > : what's the system you're using ?
    > subversion and cvs

    ok.

    > : i use CVS but i'd like something more
    > : user-friendly if possible.
    >
    > define user-friendly!

    for me a NON user-friendly software is a software able
    to give you the right result,
    but the user is not able to ask the software how to do it.

    it is not CVS's fault, CVS can do everything,
    it's my fault. i'm just evaluating if i really have
    to understand CVS or if there's something else
    i could use instead.

    perhaps it's because versioning is a complicated task,
    so perhaps there's no easy way to handle it.

    Paul Guermonprez, Jul 1, 2003
  4. Paul Guermonprez

    Drew Volpe Guest

    Last time we met, Paul Guermonprez <> had said:
    > hello,
    >

    > what's the system you're using ?
    >
    > i need a network system, command line,
    > unix/linux support, to work with JAVA ...
    > (i don't use an IDE but ant+vim) opensource.

    do you need the code or you just want it to be free ?

    Perforce is quite good and is free for personal use (2 users), and,
    iirc, they also give out licenses to open source projects for free.

    dv

    The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
    center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
    Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
    End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.

    Drew Volpe, mylastname at hcs o harvard o edu

    Drew Volpe, Jul 1, 2003
  5. Paul Guermonprez

    Harald Hein Guest

    "Paul Guermonprez" wrote:

    > it is not CVS's fault, CVS can do everything,
    > it's my fault. i'm just evaluating if i really have
    > to understand CVS or if there's something else
    > i could use instead.

    If you can't be bothered to read manuals, consider using RCS. CVS uses
    the same file format than RCS, so you can easily migrate later.
    Originally CVS was build on top of RCS, because RCS does not support
    concurrent editing of the same file.

    You need to learn three commands for RCS:

    ci - check-in
    co - check-out

    and

    rcs - for some administration tasks (like adding comments to a version
    later)

    If this is still too much for you, there are many GUI front-ends for
    CVS and RCS, e.g. wincvs for CVS on Windows. http://www.wincvs.org/ has
    this and front-ends for other platforms, too.

    There are also many editor integrations. Usually they do an automatic
    check-out (RCS) if you start editing, but leave check-in to the user.

    CVS/RCS are simple compared to some professional (read expensive
    commercial) version control system. I don't think you can get something
    much simpler. Oh, and stay away from SourceSave. The version control
    system that forgets version and files.

    HH

    Harald Hein, Jul 1, 2003
  6. I had the same reservations you have when I first came to CVS but must
    admit that any time but into CVS is well spent. Reading the introduction
    document is a small price to pay for that kind of power. I don't want to
    comparison - just consider backup).

    I must admit that even though the command line interface has its place,
    I do almost all of my interaction through Eclipse so I do not work too
    much with the command options.

    Just a thought...

    lekkim

    Mikkel Heisterberg, Jul 1, 2003
  7. Paul Guermonprez

    Keeger Guest

    > do you need the code or you just want it to be free ?
    >
    > Perforce is quite good and is free for personal use (2 users), and,
    > iirc, they also give out licenses to open source projects for free.
    >

    > dv

    Ya, they do. I'm using perforce for an opensource project at the
    moment. They're pretty cool, and support is easy to access.

    BitKeeper also supports open-source free licenses.

    However, for "dumbed down" source control, I think the best is Visual
    Source Safe, which doesn't run on Linux, and is furthermore a pretty
    crappy Version system in general, but it is the easiest to jump in and
    use with very little reading of the manual.

    If you're serious about version control, read a few whitepages on it,
    and look at Perforce, CVS, and BitKeeper. (www.perforce.com
    www.cvshome.org www.bitkeeper.com ) You'll find CVS is ok for 1-2
    man dev teams, but the longer you work on a project in it, the more
    you'll find it cumbersome. I've yet to use bitKeeper, but Linus
    Torvalde used it, so I'll assume it's ok :)

    Keeger, Jul 2, 2003
  8. Paul Guermonprez

    Roedy Green Guest

    <> wrote or quoted :

    >i use CVS but i'd like something more
    >user-friendly if possible.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cvs.html
    for your alternatives. WinCvs is one.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 2, 2003
  9. "Paul Guermonprez" <> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >

    > what's the system you're using ?
    >
    > i need a network system, command line,
    > unix/linux support, to work with JAVA ...
    > (i don't use an IDE but ant+vim) opensource.
    >
    > i use CVS but i'd like something more
    > user-friendly if possible.

    More user-friendly than CVS is not exactly a high bar.

    If you're flexible about the open source requirment, I'd suggest Perforce:
    very fast, quite intuitive once you grasp their basic concepts, both
    command-line and GUI interfaces, and supports a wide variety of platforms.

    Mike Schilling, Jul 3, 2003
  10. Paul Guermonprez

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:23:53 +0200, Paul Guermonprez
    > <> wrote or quoted :
    >

    >>i use CVS but i'd like something more
    >>user-friendly if possible.

    > see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cvs.html
    > for your alternatives. WinCvs is one.

    It's ok, but I have people who use it who hit problems and limitations
    all the time.

    TkCVS is another alternative.

    http://www.twobarleycorns.net/tkcvs.html

    On Windows you'll have to get Tcl/TK installed, but that's not too hard.
    Plus you get quite a lot of ease and functionality from TkCVS, so I
    think it's quite worth it.

    (Oh, I'm a command-line person myself, but for most CVS work I use TkCVS).

    Jon A. Cruz, Jul 4, 2003