versions

onauc

Ulrich said:
Hrrm, not versions, but implementations thereof. The point is, tha
(I'll
leave aside C++ for now) you have basically two standards currentl
in
use, C89 and C99 IIRC. There is also the ancient K&R C(named by C's
originators Kernighan and Ritchie) which was AFAIK neve
standardized, but
that is not in wide use anymore.

Most compilers today conform to the C89 standard(i.e. ar
implementations
of that standard), and that is also what you should start of
learning
first. Compilers is what exists many of, not versions of C or C++.

If your question is how to start, I'd suggest reading
Further, get a compiler with an
IDE(kdevelop and DevC++ are both free) and a good book(read th
reviews at
accu.org).

C and C++ share common roots, but C++ is not an extension of C. Both
languages also differ in the way that you approach problems in them
Let
me repeat: although their code uses the same syntax in most places
they
are different languages, learn only one at a time!

Bjarne Stroustrup is its originator, plus many others that helped
standardize C++. You can find some background info on his homepage.

Uli *

Cheers a bunch

-
onau