vertical scrollbar, the taming of

Sean

If anyone has run up against this monster in IE (if you have you definately
know what I am talking about) and it would be great to know if you have
found a solution that results in the desired behaviour. I have spent many
hours trying to solve this problem to no avail.

The desired behaviour is to display a page (frame/page/iframe - makes no
difference) that does not have a ghosted out vertical scrollbar when
content does not go beyond the viewport, but gracefully add the vertical
scrollbar when content extends beyond the viewport vertically. Must work on
IE in "standards" mode using CSS properties of html and body tags only.

I cannot seem to get both at once. I can get the ghost bar to disappear,
but then when content goes beyond the viewport IE doesn't take into account
the space taken up by the vertical scrollbar and adds a horizontal
scrollbar. Scrolling works fine 'as is' with no CSS property changes, but
then I get the ghost bar.

I will post URL examples of this behaviour if anyone is interested.

Toby A Inkster

Sean said:
The desired behaviour is to display a page (frame/page/iframe - makes no
difference) that does not have a ghosted out vertical scrollbar when
content does not go beyond the viewport

The scrollbar is not part of your page. Kindly leave it alone.

Toby A Inkster

Sean said:
from the W3C CSS 2.1 spec. The scrolling mechanism is indeed
in the realm of my concern as a page designer.

CSS 2.1 is only in draft form of yet, and there are still major changes
going to be made before 'last call' (or so I have heard from Hakom Lie).
Besides which, it is much the same as CSS 2 in regards to this matter.

CSS 2 does mention control of scrolling, but only for scroll bars internal
to the page, for example <div style="overflow:scroll;"> -- not the main
scroll bar for a page.