vertical scrollbar, the taming of

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Sean, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Sean

    Sean Guest

    If anyone has run up against this monster in IE (if you have you definately
    know what I am talking about) and it would be great to know if you have
    found a solution that results in the desired behaviour. I have spent many
    hours trying to solve this problem to no avail.

    The desired behaviour is to display a page (frame/page/iframe - makes no
    difference) that does not have a ghosted out vertical scrollbar when
    content does not go beyond the viewport, but gracefully add the vertical
    scrollbar when content extends beyond the viewport vertically. Must work on
    IE in "standards" mode using CSS properties of html and body tags only.

    I cannot seem to get both at once. I can get the ghost bar to disappear,
    but then when content goes beyond the viewport IE doesn't take into account
    the space taken up by the vertical scrollbar and adds a horizontal
    scrollbar. Scrolling works fine 'as is' with no CSS property changes, but
    then I get the ghost bar.

    I will post URL examples of this behaviour if anyone is interested.

    Sean, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Sean wrote:

    > The desired behaviour is to display a page (frame/page/iframe - makes no
    > difference) that does not have a ghosted out vertical scrollbar when
    > content does not go beyond the viewport

    The scrollbar is not part of your page. Kindly leave it alone.

    playing://(nothing)

    Toby A Inkster, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Sean wrote:

    > Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> The scrollbar is not part of your page. Kindly leave it alone.

    > from the W3C CSS 2.1 spec. The scrolling mechanism is indeed
    > in the realm of my concern as a page designer.

    CSS 2.1 is only in draft form of yet, and there are still major changes
    going to be made before 'last call' (or so I have heard from Hakom Lie).
    Besides which, it is much the same as CSS 2 in regards to this matter.

    CSS 2 does mention control of scrolling, but only for scroll bars internal
    to the page, for example <div style="overflow:scroll;"> -- not the main
    scroll bar for a page.

    playing://(nothing)

    Toby A Inkster, Aug 7, 2003