vertically center images?

Ron

I'm trying to vertically center images in a table cell. Some of the images
are links and they're all going to the top rather than the middle (<TD
valign="middle">). How can I do this? Thanks for any help.

Lauri Raittila

I'm trying to vertically center images in a table cell.

valign=middle

or vertical-align:middle;
Some of the images
are links and they're all going to the top rather than the middle (<TD
valign="middle">).

URL? Browser(s).

Spartanicus

Ron said:
I'm trying to vertically center images in a table cell. Some of the images
are links and they're all going to the top rather than the middle (<TD
valign="middle">).

URL?

Whilst gazing in her Crystal ball, Mystic Meg says: you have a
td{vertical-align:top} somewhere in a stylesheet. And stop using tables
for layout.

Ron

Hello and thank you for replying. When getting some HTML to demonstrate
the problem I tried using align="middle" in the IMG tag and changed
vertical-align:baseline to vertical-align:middle and this works OK now.

AkreM

Spartanicus said:
URL?

Whilst gazing in her Crystal ball, Mystic Meg says: you have a
td{vertical-align:top} somewhere in a stylesheet. And stop using tables
for layout.

Hi....

This post caught my eye. Stop using tables for a layout? You mean, don't use
tables as a structure to making a page? Why is that, if so?

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
This post caught my eye. Stop using tables for a layout? You mean, don't use
tables as a structure to making a page? Why is that, if so?

Because tables were designed for tabular data, like spreadsheets.
Someone came up with the fantastic idea of using them to lay out a page.
And at the time, it was a great idea. However we now have CSS to handle
all the presentation side of things, so the days of using tables for
layout purposes should be well and truly over. Unfortunately a lot of
web authors continue to code as though it is still 1996. :-(

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

AkreM

Mark Parnell said:
Because tables were designed for tabular data, like spreadsheets.
Someone came up with the fantastic idea of using them to lay out a page.
And at the time, it was a great idea. However we now have CSS to handle
all the presentation side of things, so the days of using tables for
layout purposes should be well and truly over. Unfortunately a lot of
web authors continue to code as though it is still 1996. :-(

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

Thanks for the reply Mark. :)

Is CSS supported by *all* browsers though? PC's etc...?

I mean, can everyone view a page that has CSS to handle it all?

Plus I am not to familiar with CSS. A little but not much. :(

Is there a step by step instruction site that can get me started on learning
this?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Is CSS supported by *all* browsers though? PC's etc...?

Define *all*. All that are commonly used? Yes. And those that don't
support it (or do a really bad job, like NS4) can easily have the CSS
hidden from them so they can still access the content.
I mean, can everyone view a page that has CSS to handle it all?

Yes. One of the wonderful things about CSS is that even if the UA
doesn't support CSS, the content is still completely accessible. Then
there's the smaller file sizes (meaning less downloads/bandwidth),
different stylesheets for different media (e.g. printing), some things
that can only be done with CSS...
Plus I am not to familiar with CSS. A little but not much. :(

Now's as good a time to start as any. :)
Is there a step by step instruction site that can get me started on learning
this?

See the link I posted above. Also, read the specs. Then read them again.
http://w3.org/TR/CSS2/

W3Schools has a decent CSS tutorial (decent, mind you - not perfect).
http://w3schools.com/css/

AkreM

Mark Parnell said:
Define *all*. All that are commonly used? Yes. And those that don't
support it (or do a really bad job, like NS4) can easily have the CSS
hidden from them so they can still access the content.

Yes. One of the wonderful things about CSS is that even if the UA
doesn't support CSS, the content is still completely accessible. Then
there's the smaller file sizes (meaning less downloads/bandwidth),
different stylesheets for different media (e.g. printing), some things
that can only be done with CSS...

Now's as good a time to start as any. :)

See the link I posted above. Also, read the specs. Then read them again.
http://w3.org/TR/CSS2/

W3Schools has a decent CSS tutorial (decent, mind you - not perfect).
http://w3schools.com/css/

Wow, What can I say...Thanks Mark, Again!

You reply rather quick to these post's. :)

I am sure it will take me some time to learn all this CSS stuff but one day,
one day, I'll make you proud of me. :)

haha

Thanks again Mark. Your help is/was very much appreciated. Thanks for the
class act while responding to a newbie on CSS. :)