Veru odd behavior of HTTPModule

Mike Schilling

(I've asked this on the C# newsgroup; I'm hoping someone over here might
have an idea.)

We have a C# application running under ASP.NET. It wasn't written using any
VS.NET magic; all of the call the System.Web are made explicitly. It uses
..NET 1.1; no other version of the framework is present on the machine.
There are two web.config files: the one at the top level specifies an
HttpModule, one in a subdirectory specifies an HttpHandler.

On some machines only, we see this odd behavior, and only after the app has
been running for some (variable) period of time: the HttpModule stops being
called. All requests for the vdir are still processed by ASP.NET, and URLs
including the subdirectory are still processed by its HttpHandler, but no
requests are processed by the HttpModule. Restarting IIS always fixes the
problem (temporarily).

First, has anyone seen anything like this. or has any ideas what might be
causing it?

Second, does anyone have ideas about how to debug it? We haven't found any
tracing to turn on, or any way to inquire of IIS/ASP.Net what it thinks the
state of the vdir or module is.