Very basic Ruby docs/books/tutorial?

Robert Feldt

Hello,

I got a question from someone who wants to learn Ruby but are not very
experienced in programming at all. I pointed them to the Ruby Book (Thomas
and Hunt) but the person wanted something even more basic.

Any pointers to where I can direct them? Do we have something like
"Thinking like a computer scientist" in Ruby? I know there is a Python
version.

Regards,

Robert Feldt

Jim Freeze

Hello,

I got a question from someone who wants to learn Ruby but are not very
experienced in programming at all. I pointed them to the Ruby Book (Thomas
and Hunt) but the person wanted something even more basic.

Any pointers to where I can direct them? Do we have something like
"Thinking like a computer scientist" in Ruby? I know there is a Python
version.

The 21 Days book is very good for beginners.

jason r tibbetts

Erik,

Oh, how fun! I loved /The Little Lisper/. A bit flaky, but a fun couple of days'
reading. If it's anything like the original, the Ruby one ought to be useful and
entertaining, too.

--
jason

:wq
This mail sent using ToadMail -- Web based e-mail @ ToadNet

MikkelFJ

Robert Feldt said:
Hello,

I got a question from someone who wants to learn Ruby but are not very
experienced in programming at all. I pointed them to the Ruby Book (Thomas
and Hunt) but the person wanted something even more basic.

Any pointers to where I can direct them? Do we have something like
"Thinking like a computer scientist" in Ruby? I know there is a Python
version.

How abour Carreras tutorial?

http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/ruby/0.3/

Mikkel

Michael Vondung

I got a question from someone who wants to learn Ruby but are not very
experienced in programming at all. I pointed them to the Ruby Book (Thomas
and Hunt) but the person wanted something even more basic.

Definitely "Teach yourself Ruby in 21 days" by Mark Slagell, Sams
Publishing. Despite its rather poor title, it's an excellent book that
begins with the very basics and doesn't require any previous knowledge
(i.e. it does explain what a variable is). The Pickaxe book was too
advanced for me also, but Mark's book helped me greatly to get
started. It does get more advanced eventually, but not in a way that
leaves real beginners in the dust. I highly recommend it.

Hal's "The Ruby Way" makes a good choice for the time after Mark's
book, I've found. (I bought it long time before I felt ready for it,
but I was a bit afraid that it might go out of print before I pick up
the Ruby basics, so I imported it just to be on the safe side.)

M.

Hal Fulton

Michael said:
Definitely "Teach yourself Ruby in 21 days" by Mark Slagell, Sams
Publishing. Despite its rather poor title, it's an excellent book that
begins with the very basics and doesn't require any previous knowledge
(i.e. it does explain what a variable is). The Pickaxe book was too
advanced for me also, but Mark's book helped me greatly to get
started. It does get more advanced eventually, but not in a way that
leaves real beginners in the dust. I highly recommend it.

I will second that. Mark's book is excellent.

The "21 days" books are of course a Sams series (explaining the poor
title). These are very inconsistent in quality. One of them which I
won't name is suitable IMO only to line bird cages or start fires. Some
are better. This one is among the best. (FWIW I made a minor
contribution to the material myself.)

I will also say that even if you are a little more experienced than
Michael, this is still a good book. It won't insult your intelligence
even if Ruby is your third or fourth language.
Hal's "The Ruby Way" makes a good choice for the time after Mark's
book, I've found. (I bought it long time before I felt ready for it,
but I was a bit afraid that it might go out of print before I pick up
the Ruby basics, so I imported it just to be on the safe side.)

Thank you for that purchase. ;) It was designed almost as a reference
work. So you can't really buy it "too early." Many things in it are
very elementary. I added the disclaimer that it was not for beginners,
first of all, to avoid direct competition with the pickaxe. I wanted
to complement Dave and Andy's book, not compete.

Second of all, I wanted to skip the most elementary discussions such as
"what is a variable?" I started in a little higher, with "what is an
object?"

BTW, in the front of the Pickaxe, I am quoted as saying, "This is the
first Ruby book anyone should buy." And when I submitted that quote to
them, the book deal was in progress. So I was already thinking: "And
I already know what your SECOND Ruby book should be..." :)

Cheers,
Hal

Chris Pine

There's also my humble tutorial:

http://hellotree.gotdns.com/LearnToProgram/

It might be too basic, though. I haven't worked on it since my son was
born, but it is mostly completed. (I should really just finish it...)

One nice feature is that the web pages are generated from a Ruby script, and
all of the code samples I give are actually being run; the output being
captured! So the part with `rand' gives you different numbers each time the
page is reloaded. :)

Chris

Carsten Eckelmann

Chris said:
There's also my humble tutorial:

http://hellotree.gotdns.com/LearnToProgram/

It might be too basic, though. I haven't worked on it since my son was
born, but it is mostly completed. (I should really just finish it...)
It is very basic and I like it that way! Very good work! I hope you do
find the time to finish it someday ... If you need help, let me know!
One nice feature is that the web pages are generated from a Ruby script, and
all of the code samples I give are actually being run; the output being
captured! So the part with `rand' gives you different numbers each time the
page is reloaded. :)
Is this script also available? Just asking, it sounds interesting...

Cheers,
Carsten.

Chris Pine