very lost - VS 2003, IIS 5.1 REPOST

Fred

w/ the same problem:
" Hi,

When I try to create a new web project,
or "add existing project from web"
or "open from source control"

i'm prompted for a URL and type in a virtual directory.

-- with "add project from web" i just get a file dialog box in "my
documents" and browsing to the right project folder doesn't work.

-- with "create new project" visual studio then complains that the
virtual directory doesn't correspond to
c:\someRecentRandomProejct\NewprojectName. i'm allowed to type in the
correct directory, and everything's hunky dory.

if trying to open a project from source control, i get the same deal as
"create new project" i.e. Visual Studio makes a stupid guess at the
directory, but i'm not allowed to correct that guess.

So I imagine my task is to get VS and IIS to work together so VS can
infer the directory when i type in the URL?

I'm very unclear about IIS/websites/virtual directories. I'm just
assuming that if i can browse to the correct directory by typing in the
URL in IE, then visual studio ought to be able to do the same. (it works
for creating new projects, after all)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Edward "

trying this solution:
"Yes, easiest is to create your virtual directory in IIS first with the
name that you want. This way you can place the project files where ever
you want. Then in VS create a new project and name it the same as your
virtual directory and then VS will correctly map to it. "

i just get "name already exists, type another"

how do i create a project if i have all ASP.NET sources and working IIS
application

i`m already trying like a month w/ no results

any help is very welcome

tnx