    I'm certain the webspace hosting the asp page allows asp pages (especially
    since the company is called 'asp-host'!). I'd appreciate any help in
    understanding why this is happening and how I might fix it.

    DaveS, Oct 23, 2006

  2. DaveS wrote:
    > I've been trying to start out learning some ASP and I've been trying
    > to create the classic 'Hello world' program. I'm running the ASP
    > pages on some webspace I have, rather than on my computer. Everytime
    > I try and run the asp page it brings up a HTTP 401.5 error.
    >
    > "HTTP Error 401.5 - Unauthorized: Authorization failed by an ISAPI/CGI
    > application.
    > Internet Information Services (IIS)"
    >
    > I'm certain the webspace hosting the asp page allows asp pages
    > (especially since the company is called 'asp-host'!). I'd appreciate
    > any help in understanding why this is happening and how I might fix
    > it.

    Hard to say. Look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906474, which came
    from this search result:
    http://www.google.com/search?source...LD:en&q=HTTP 401.5 site:support.microsoft.com

    You are probably going to need to ask your host company for support for
    this. It's an IIS configuration issue, not an ASP issue per se.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 23, 2006

  3. could you please provide your source code. cause running a hello world
    program shouldnt spit out those kind of errors, cause this error
    normally shows up when you go in advance scripting not "hello world"
    scripting if you know what i mean.

    Best Regards
    Firas S Assaad

    Firas S Assaad, Oct 24, 2006
  4. DaveS

    DaveS Guest

    "Jon Paal" wrote:

    > what does your "hello world" program look like ?

    Here's the code I used...

    <% @ Language=VBScript %>
    <%
    Response.Write("Hello World!") %>

    DaveS, Oct 24, 2006
  5. DaveS

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVM=?= wrote on 24 okt 2006 in

    > "Jon Paal" wrote:
    >
    >> what does your "hello world" program look like ?
    >>

    > Here's the code I used...
    >
    > <% @ Language=VBScript %>
    > <%
    > Response.Write("Hello World!") %>

    Runs fine here, perhaps your world is gone?

    [ASP vbs needs the world to run]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Oct 24, 2006
  6. Hi,
    Try doing the following
    1. Remove the first line of the code "<% @ Language=VBScript %>" then
    rerun the code.
    and then
    1. goto Start > Run
    2. type in CMD and press enter
    3. after the black window apears type the following command: iisreset
    /restart
    after it restarts successfully run the page after removing the line i
    told you to remove.
    if in the CMD window it gave you errors when trying to run the command
    "iisreset /restart" then copy the error and paste it here to have a
    look at it.

    if this didnt work
    2. try reinstalling your IIS, and then run the code with and without
    the line.

    Hope this helps

    Best Regards
    Firas S Assaad

    Firas S Assaad, Oct 24, 2006
  7. DaveS

    Evertjan. Guest

    Firas S Assaad wrote on 24 okt 2006 in

    > On Oct 24, 4:49 am, "Evertjan." <> wrote:
    >> =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVM=?= wrote on 24 okt 2006 in

    >> > Here's the code I used...

    >> > <% @ Language=VBScript %>
    >> > <%
    >> > Response.Write("Hello World!") %>

    >> [ASP vbs needs the world to run]

    [Please do not toppost on usenet]

    > Hi,
    > Try doing the following
    > 1. Remove the first line of the code "<% @ Language=VBScript %>" then
    > rerun the code.

    Why?
    What is wrong with that line?

    > and then

    [...]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Oct 24, 2006
  8. DaveS

    DaveS Guest

    *FIXED* Re: VERY new to ASP, http 401.5 error

    Just to let you know I managed to get hold of the technical support for the
    company hosting my website and they have fixed this problem.

    DaveS, Oct 24, 2006
  9. DaveS

    Evertjan. Guest

    Re: *FIXED* Re: VERY new to ASP, http 401.5 error

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVM=?= wrote on 24 okt 2006 in

    > Just to let you know I managed to get hold of the technical support
    > for the company hosting my website and they have fixed this problem.

    What are you talking about?

    [please always quote on usenet]

    --
    Evertjan.