VERY new to ASP, http 401.5 error

DaveS

I've been trying to start out learning some ASP and I've been trying to
create the classic 'Hello world' program. I'm running the ASP pages on some
webspace I have, rather than on my computer. Everytime I try and run the asp
page it brings up a HTTP 401.5 error.

"HTTP Error 401.5 - Unauthorized: Authorization failed by an ISAPI/CGI
application.
Internet Information Services (IIS)"

I'm certain the webspace hosting the asp page allows asp pages (especially
since the company is called 'asp-host'!). I'd appreciate any help in
understanding why this is happening and how I might fix it.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

DaveS said:
I've been trying to start out learning some ASP and I've been trying
to create the classic 'Hello world' program. I'm running the ASP
pages on some webspace I have, rather than on my computer. Everytime
I try and run the asp page it brings up a HTTP 401.5 error.

"HTTP Error 401.5 - Unauthorized: Authorization failed by an ISAPI/CGI
application.
Internet Information Services (IIS)"

I'm certain the webspace hosting the asp page allows asp pages
(especially since the company is called 'asp-host'!). I'd appreciate
any help in understanding why this is happening and how I might fix
it.

Hard to say. Look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906474, which came
from this search result:
http://www.google.com/search?source...LD:en&q=HTTP+401.5+site:support.microsoft.com

You are probably going to need to ask your host company for support for
this. It's an IIS configuration issue, not an ASP issue per se.

Firas S Assaad

could you please provide your source code. cause running a hello world
program shouldnt spit out those kind of errors, cause this error
normally shows up when you go in advance scripting not "hello world"
scripting if you know what i mean.

Best Regards
Firas S Assaad

DaveS

Jon Paal said:
what does your "hello world" program look like ?

Here's the code I used...

<% @ Language=VBScript %>
<%
Response.Write("Hello World!") %>

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVM=?= wrote on 24 okt 2006 in
Here's the code I used...

<% @ Language=VBScript %>
<%
Response.Write("Hello World!") %>

Runs fine here, perhaps your world is gone?

[ASP vbs needs the world to run]

Firas S Assaad

Hi,
Try doing the following
1. Remove the first line of the code "<% @ Language=VBScript %>" then
rerun the code.
and then
1. goto Start > Run
2. type in CMD and press enter
3. after the black window apears type the following command: iisreset
/restart
after it restarts successfully run the page after removing the line i
told you to remove.
if in the CMD window it gave you errors when trying to run the command
"iisreset /restart" then copy the error and paste it here to have a
look at it.

if this didnt work
2. try reinstalling your IIS, and then run the code with and without
the line.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Firas S Assaad

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVM=?= wrote on 24 okt 2006 in
"Jon Paal" wrote:
Here's the code I used...
<% @ Language=VBScript %>
<%
Response.Write("Hello World!") %>

[ASP vbs needs the world to run]

Evertjan.

Firas S Assaad wrote on 24 okt 2006 in
"Jon Paal" wrote:
what does your "hello world" program look like ?
Here's the code I used...
<% @ Language=VBScript %>
<%
Response.Write("Hello World!") %>

[ASP vbs needs the world to run]

[Please do not toppost on usenet]
Hi,
Try doing the following
1. Remove the first line of the code "<% @ Language=VBScript %>" then
rerun the code.

Why?
What is wrong with that line?
[...]

DaveS

Just to let you know I managed to get hold of the technical support for the
company hosting my website and they have fixed this problem.

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVM=?= wrote on 24 okt 2006 in
Just to let you know I managed to get hold of the technical support
for the company hosting my website and they have fixed this problem.

What are you talking about?

[please always quote on usenet]