    C++.I will be developing for windows.
    Thanks
    Mike

    MikeP, Jan 11, 2005

  2. MikeP

    Guest

    ..NET is curved towards internet application development. If you want to
    be developing for windows I'd say C++/VC++. Short and sweat, nothing
    to it. ( I don't think :) )

    , Jan 11, 2005

  3. "MikeP" <> wrote...
    > I am planning on going head first into C++.I have programmed in VB and
    > still
    > work with php regularly.Should I pursue Microsoft's implementation of C++(
    > That being C++.net) or just learn it using what I guess would be
    > "Standard"
    > C++.I will be developing for windows.

    It's quite possible to learn Standard C++ (no quotes here), and use
    Microsoft
    product while doing so. What you need to pay attention to is what is and
    what
    is not a Microsoft extension to the language. They all are well-documented,
    you shouldn't have any problem.

    MSVC++ .NET (version 7.1) is a decent compiler. It has its quirks and bugs
    (most of which are known), but it is quite close to the Standard (enough to
    learn most of it).

    Arm yourself with a good book (or two or three) and a project to complete
    (or
    five or ten). Some books come with exercises. Do 'em.

    Programming Windows is a different, and rather orthogonal, task to
    programming
    in C++. You can do it from different angles, and I would probably recommend
    to begin learning C++ without involving GUI at all.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 11, 2005
  4. MikeP wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I am planning on going head first into C++.I have programmed in VB and still
    > work with php regularly.

    That's nice.

    > Should I pursue Microsoft's implementation of C++(
    > That being C++.net) or just learn it using what I guess would be "Standard"
    > C++.

    There is not a "Microsoft C++" vs "Standard C++". There is Standard C++
    and system extensions that you can use on top of Standard C++.

    This is also the case for Microsoft VC++ .NET. At first you had better
    learn Standard C++ (ISO/IEC 14882:1998 / 2003 standard) and then learn
    ..NET extensions if you are interested in .NET development).

    A great book to start is "Accelerated C++" by Andrew Koenig, Barbara Moo.

    Check this page of mine:

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys/learningcpp.htm

    --
    Ioannis Vranos