    Does python support nitty-gritty Windows-
    programming?

    -X

    Agent Mulder, Aug 2, 2003

  2. Agent Mulder

    Keith Jones Guest

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 17:42:08 +0200, Agent Mulder wrote:

    > Hi group,
    >
    > I wonder if I can do Windows programming
    > in python. I work with c++ now and do the
    > Windows part raw. It's difficult to get my app
    > over 150K (need some heavy inlining, that's all).
    > Does python support nitty-gritty Windows-
    > programming?
    >
    > -X

    I suppose it depends on just how nitty-gritty, but yes. Googling for
    "python win32" should give you plenty of leads. O'reilly even has a book
    on python and win32.

    Keith Jones, Aug 2, 2003

  3. Agent Mulder wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > I wonder if I can do Windows programming
    > in python. I work with c++ now and do the
    > Windows part raw. It's difficult to get my app
    > over 150K (need some heavy inlining, that's all).
    > Does python support nitty-gritty Windows-
    > programming?

    The win32 extensions have support for a lot of the win32 API. Your app's
    download size will be considerably larger, however, if you always
    distribute the full Python interpreter and win32 extensions with your app.

    But

    1) Download size is not very important

    2) If you're really concerned about download size I have a project named
    "PyhtonRuntime" in planning/proof-of-concept stage. The point of this is
    that if you have n apps that depend on Python the Python runtime will
    only be downloaded once. It also includes a dead simple package system
    and it's win32 only.

    -- Gerhard

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Aug 2, 2003
  4. Agent Mulder

    John J. Lee Guest

    Gerhard Häring <> writes:

    > Agent Mulder wrote:
    > > Hi group,
    > > I wonder if I can do Windows programming
    > > in python. I work with c++ now and do the
    > > Windows part raw. It's difficult to get my app
    > > over 150K (need some heavy inlining, that's all).
    > > Does python support nitty-gritty Windows-
    > > programming?

    > The win32 extensions have support for a lot of the win32 API. Your

    Lightweight, but 'very alpha' (in the author's words):

    http://venster.sourceforge.net/

    ctypes, py2exe (has some form of COM support, IIRC), McMillan
    installer are probably also all worth a look.

    [...]
    > 2) If you're really concerned about download size I have a project
    > named "PyhtonRuntime" in planning/proof-of-concept stage. The point of
    > this is that if you have n apps that depend on Python the Python
    > runtime will only be downloaded once. It also includes a dead simple
    > package system and it's win32 only.

    Cool.

    John

    John J. Lee, Aug 3, 2003
  5. Agent Mulder

    Cy Edmunds Guest

    "Agent Mulder" <> wrote in message
    > Hi group,
    >
    > I wonder if I can do Windows programming
    > in python. I work with c++ now and do the
    > Windows part raw. It's difficult to get my app
    > over 150K (need some heavy inlining, that's all).
    > Does python support nitty-gritty Windows-
    > programming?
    >
    > -X

    Hi Mulder. The good news is this: with Mark Hammond's win32 library Windows
    programming in Python is actually much easier (IMHO) than it is in C++. Get
    the book too -- it is really very good.
    --
    Cy
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/