very newbie question

Agent Mulder

Hi group,

I wonder if I can do Windows programming
in python. I work with c++ now and do the
Windows part raw. It's difficult to get my app
over 150K (need some heavy inlining, that's all).
Does python support nitty-gritty Windows-
programming?

-X

Keith Jones

Hi group,

I wonder if I can do Windows programming
in python. I work with c++ now and do the
Windows part raw. It's difficult to get my app
over 150K (need some heavy inlining, that's all).
Does python support nitty-gritty Windows-
programming?

-X

I suppose it depends on just how nitty-gritty, but yes. Googling for
"python win32" should give you plenty of leads. O'reilly even has a book
on python and win32.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

Agent said:
Hi group,

I wonder if I can do Windows programming
in python. I work with c++ now and do the
Windows part raw. It's difficult to get my app
over 150K (need some heavy inlining, that's all).
Does python support nitty-gritty Windows-
programming?

The win32 extensions have support for a lot of the win32 API. Your app's
download size will be considerably larger, however, if you always
distribute the full Python interpreter and win32 extensions with your app.

But

1) Download size is not very important

2) If you're really concerned about download size I have a project named
"PyhtonRuntime" in planning/proof-of-concept stage. The point of this is
that if you have n apps that depend on Python the Python runtime will
only be downloaded once. It also includes a dead simple package system
and it's win32 only.

-- Gerhard

John J. Lee

Gerhard Häring said:
The win32 extensions have support for a lot of the win32 API. Your

Lightweight, but 'very alpha' (in the author's words):

http://venster.sourceforge.net/

ctypes, py2exe (has some form of COM support, IIRC), McMillan
installer are probably also all worth a look.

[...]
2) If you're really concerned about download size I have a project
named "PyhtonRuntime" in planning/proof-of-concept stage. The point of
this is that if you have n apps that depend on Python the Python
runtime will only be downloaded once. It also includes a dead simple
package system and it's win32 only.

Cool.

John

Cy Edmunds

Agent Mulder said:
Hi group,

I wonder if I can do Windows programming
in python. I work with c++ now and do the
Windows part raw. It's difficult to get my app
over 150K (need some heavy inlining, that's all).
Does python support nitty-gritty Windows-
programming?

-X
Hi Mulder. The good news is this: with Mark Hammond's win32 library Windows
programming in Python is actually much easier (IMHO) than it is in C++. Get
the book too -- it is really very good.