Very persistent error JMF: Unable to handle format: mpeglayer3

Joined
Aug 10, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I would like to play mp3-files with a Java application. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I followed every piece of advice I could find and still I get:

Unable to handle format: mpeglayer3, 44100.0 Hz, 16-bit, Mono, LittleEndian, Signed, 8000.0 frame rate, FrameSize=16384 bits
Failed to prefetch: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@3882764b
Error: Unable to prefetch com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@3882764b

What I did so far:

I installed JFM using the Windows Performance Pack. JFM was installed but did not set the CLASSPATH and PATH correctly, so I repaired that.

I ran the "java com.sun.media.codec.audio.mp3.JavaDecoder" command and it was successful.

In JM Studio I had to add it to the codec (since it was not there yet) and this was also successful, so the com.sun.media.codec.audio.mp3.JavaDecoder is there now. It was a bit of a hassle since the JFM was installed in the" Program Files (x86)" directory and the "commit" did not work since it had no writing access to the jmf.properties.But I sorted that out.

I am using Eclipse and added jmf.jar to the Java Build Path.

Then I installed the JMF MP3 Plugin. I have put it in the jre6/lib/ext and also in the JMF directory. I added jmf.jar also to jre6/lib/ext. I added the plugin to the CLASSPATH and in Eclipse to the Java Build Path.

These are all the tips, tricks and hints I could find, but still I keep getting the error mentioned above. When I use the JM Studio itself to open and play a mp3-file this works fine though.

Any new tips or comments as to what I did wrong would be very much appreciated!

Thanks, Ylva