Very Puzzled, Please Help

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by schiefaw, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. schiefaw

    schiefaw Guest

    Hello,

    I am developing a web application that contains a very complicated and
    data intensive page. The application has been tested and deployed, but
    now we are seeing problems.

    Some form elements (drop-downs) are blanking out during the trip to the
    server and back. This happens randomly and only on certain computers.
    We have tried to duplicate the problem on our own machines with no
    luck. I have watched the problem occur on the affected machines. The
    users on those machines have used one of our machines and have not had
    the problem there. And, we can duplicate the problem in the tet
    environment if we use one of the affected machines to do it.

    Both our tester's and the affected machines have the same version of
    IE, but may have differing update levels of windows. All, I believe,
    are on Win 2k.

    There is some specualation that the problem may only occur when the
    user has been active in the application for a while. This is hard to
    establish, however, as the problem is intermittent anyway.

    My best guess at this point is that the request or response object is
    being corrupted, which causes the drop-down list to loose it's value.
    There is also another very rare occurance of a problem where a static
    drop-down list has its items list corrupted. In this case, the static
    list will duplicate some items while removing others. I am leaning
    towards a possible memory leak in the browser.

    I should note that there are many many other users that have not had
    any issues. All are running IE on some form of Windows.

    I have run out of ideas. Can anyone else give me a clue on this?

    Thanks,
    A. Schieffer
    schiefaw, Jul 22, 2005

  2. If it might be the amount of time (timing out), consider adding JavaScript
    that "logs" the person out after so many minutes. That will get around a lot
    of potential errors. Kicking them to a "you are now logged out due to
    inactivity" page is the most useful.

    The actual values of controls are stored in Viewstate, which is a hidden
    field on the page. It is not likely what is causing your errors, however.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    ***************************
    Think Outside the Box!
    ***************************

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBN, Jul 22, 2005

  3. schiefaw

    Marina Guest

    It sounds like the issue is really somewhere on the client machines. I would
    focus on looking versions of windows, IE, IE settings, etc. to really try to
    narrow down what the affected machines have in common.

    Marina, Jul 22, 2005
  4. schiefaw

    schiefaw Guest

    Our timeout is set to 1 hour and these issues occur in the middle of a
    workflow. This app would have been much better as a desktop app, since
    it is open all day. But, no one ever listens to the developer. I am
    sure that it is not a timeout issue, however, as that would kick them
    back to the login screen.
    schiefaw, Jul 22, 2005