    Sydney NSW 2001
    Australia
    E-mail:

    Philip Rhoades, Jun 8, 2008

  2. Philip Rhoades

    Axel Etzold Guest

    -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    > Datum: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 02:19:30 +0900
    > Von: Philip Rhoades <>
    > Betreff: Very simple SVG drawing tool (circles) written in Ruby?

    > People,
    >
    > I am looking for very simple SVG drawing tool - mainly to draw circles -
    > but it has to be something written in Ruby. I don't really mind what
    > the GUI toolkit is - as long as it is easy to use and runs on Linux.
    >
    > Does something like this exist? If not, any suggestions about what to
    > use to write it myself?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Phil.
    > --
    > Philip Rhoades
    >
    > Pricom Pty Limited (ACN 003 252 275 ABN 91 003 252 275)
    > GPO Box 3411
    > Sydney NSW 2001
    > Australia
    > E-mail:

    Philip,

    you can find quite a lot of them in Rubyforge.

    http://rubyforge.org/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=svg&Search=Suche

    It is also possible to draw circles in RMagick (http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/portfolio3.html) in svg,
    but RMagick's installation can be a bit daunting...

    Best regards,

    Axel

    Axel Etzold, Jun 8, 2008

  3. Axel,

    Axel Etzold wrote:
    > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    >> Datum: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 02:19:30 +0900
    >> Von: Philip Rhoades <>
    >> Betreff: Very simple SVG drawing tool (circles) written in Ruby?

    >> People,
    >>
    >> I am looking for very simple SVG drawing tool - mainly to draw circles -
    >> but it has to be something written in Ruby. I don't really mind what
    >> the GUI toolkit is - as long as it is easy to use and runs on Linux.
    >>
    >> Does something like this exist? If not, any suggestions about what to
    >> use to write it myself?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Phil.
    >> --
    >> Philip Rhoades
    >>
    >> Pricom Pty Limited (ACN 003 252 275 ABN 91 003 252 275)
    >> GPO Box 3411
    >> Sydney NSW 2001
    >> Australia
    >> E-mail:

    > Philip,
    >
    > you can find quite a lot of them in Rubyforge.
    >
    > http://rubyforge.org/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=svg&Search=Suche
    >
    > It is also possible to draw circles in RMagick (http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/portfolio3.html) in svg,
    > but RMagick's installation can be a bit daunting...

    Thanks for that - I will have a look at them. Is is for the new version
    of the C/C++ simulation program that we have previously talked about. I
    have an idea about using the SVG circle information for both initial
    parameter input and also display output for the program but the SVG
    drawing program needs to be very simple and small.

    Regards,

    Phil.

    Philip Rhoades, Jun 8, 2008
  4. Philip Rhoades

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Philip Rhoades wrote:
    > Thanks for that - I will have a look at them. Is is for the new version
    > of the C/C++ simulation program that we have previously talked about. I
    > have an idea about using the SVG circle information for both initial
    > parameter input and also display output for the program but the SVG
    > drawing program needs to be very simple and small.

    RMagick can do a lot of things but I don't think it's what you're
    looking for. While you can read SVG images with it, mostly it's good for
    outputting raster images.

    Good luck with your project, though!

    --
    RMagick: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/
    RMagick 2: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/rmagick2.html

    Tim Hunter, Jun 8, 2008
  5. Philip Rhoades wrote:
    > People,
    >
    > I am looking for very simple SVG drawing tool - mainly to draw circles -
    > but it has to be something written in Ruby. I don't really mind what
    > the GUI toolkit is - as long as it is easy to use and runs on Linux.
    >
    > Does something like this exist? If not, any suggestions about what to
    > use to write it myself?

    You might consider Batik with JRuby. I know others are using it for some
    crazy cool graphics stuff. It's not a full app (SVG library) but it
    works really, really well.

    - Charlie

    Charles Oliver Nutter, Jun 8, 2008
  6. Charlie,

    Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
    > Philip Rhoades wrote:
    >> People,
    >>
    >> I am looking for very simple SVG drawing tool - mainly to draw circles
    >> - but it has to be something written in Ruby. I don't really mind
    >> what the GUI toolkit is - as long as it is easy to use and runs on Linux.
    >>
    >> Does something like this exist? If not, any suggestions about what to
    >> use to write it myself?

    > You might consider Batik with JRuby. I know others are using it for some
    > crazy cool graphics stuff. It's not a full app (SVG library) but it
    > works really, really well.

    It is overkill for me - it looks like FXSvgCanvas is just what I want
    but it is no longer being worked on and the download link is not working . .

    Thanks anyway,

    Regards,

    Phil.

    Philip Rhoades, Jun 9, 2008