Very slow debugging web projects when disconnected...

AC

Running VS.NET 2003 Enterprise Arch on WinXP Pro SP1 with a P4-2.4Ghz, 760MB+ RAM, and 10+GB free disk space. Laptop is part of a domain.

When working on a web project connected at the office, VS.NET enters into debug mode (compiling, firing off a browser, and starting the debugger) just fine. However, when the machine is disconnected, or I'm working off a wireless network @ home (WiFi) or working off a wired connection @ home (all disconnected from the domain), it takes VS.NET much longer to build a project and then start debugging (takes a while for the start page to show up in the debugging browser). The web project does use a SQL database, but it's connecting locally (SQL2000 installed locally). The ONLY difference I've been able to isolate is the fact that I'm not authenticated against the domain (I'm using cached credentials).

I've watched the task manager in all situations... the CPU isn't any more stressed nor is there more memory being consumed when connected/disconnected/connected to another network.

I'm at a loss... don't understand how being connected/disconnected while working on a web project (which has all if it's depedencies and references local) would be slower in debug mode. Any ideas?

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

If you choose "Work disconnected" from the Project menu, is it faster?

--
Thanks,

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager
Assistance and Worldwide Services

[...]

Thanks for the reply Eric.

I have "Web Project | Work Offline" menu item, but not "Work disconnected". When I activated it, it seems to work ok, but it's too much faster. I wasn't aware this feature was available. I see that this just tells VS.NET not to try to access anything on the server. If I'm doing development completely on my local machine, I don't see how this would cause me any harm.

Also... would this impact VSS at all? I am using VSS for versioning, but I'm the only one working on this project (on two seperate machines)... when I'm not connected, I just tell VSS to work disconnected. Since I'm the only person doing developent, I'm not concerned.

-AC
[...]

Eric-

I tried the wireless connection @ home and also while connected via the VPN to work... it ~may~ be even slower.

-AC