Very Slow Intranet Web Site

Brian Russell

We have an intranet application that uses Windows authentication and
groups on that server to define roles in the application. After
copying code changes to the testing server I discovered that the pages
were taking a long time to render and sometimes timed out, even though
the other testing server ran just fine with the code changes.

To narrow down the cause I removed all code from the site except for
the web.config file and a simple html page saved with an aspx
extension. The test page still took 10 seconds to load. I then
changed the authorization section of web.config by removing the allow
roles tag and changed it to allowing all users. The page loaded very
quickly after that.

I also noticed that when I used Terminal Service to log onto the
machine the login process on that server took a long time.

Can anything think why this might be happening and what I can do to
resolve the problem? The server is a Windows 2000 server that is up to
date.